Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• BJgobbleDix
    Original poster 52 posts

So I personally really like Flails but forever could not stand the fact they had their damage cut in half when Dual Wielded while Spears and Daggers did not. Thus Spears and Daggers were just more reliable. But then over the last few days of testing some theories of mine, realized that Flails are actually pretty insane and op as hell.

First, I finally got Spinning Death and realized that "Finisher" attacks have NOTHING to do with the killing blow to enemies--I always just assumed this. Well, apparently "Finishers" are the last hits in the combo of attacks for both Light and Heavy--which for most weapons, is 2 Heavy swings then the 3rd is the Heavy Finisher OR 2 Light swings then a 3rd Heavy Finisher (both work). It has nothing to do with killing enemies (which is what people originally mentioned in forums back in November and December when I searched). With Spinning Death, I was able to apply Fire Damage in an AoE around me and virtually kill most weaker enemies with Fire alone after just 3 strikes. It was a major uptick in DPS through AoE application and not needing to use Adrenaline. Then I decided to apply the Diamond Rune where you apply a Poison bomb on Heavy Finishers. VOILA, I now apply both elements with a Heavy Finisher and no use of abilities plus I'm spreading hazards EVERYWHERE--sorry civilians lol. Good thing elemental deaths don't count haha.

Next, I added Frostruin flail to help dramatically speed up Adrenaline gain. I would then apply Fire Strike and then do Dive of the Valkyries. This not only gives me a solid burst damage and knockdown but also applies fire with very high damage ticks to all nearby enemies. BRUTAL combination thats literally a "fire and forget" play style against most enemies. So combine this combo with the Bomb combo on Heavy Finishers and you have this insane wildfire, AoE burst, and high DPS combo against crowds thats easy to always have Adrenaline near max thanks to Frostruin. And since Frostruin and the bombs have 15 second cooldowns, it creates a great rotation of switching between the two combos.

Now to make it better, I realized a couple days ago that poison and fire damage actually counts for any rune that requires hits or "attacks" per tick of damage. So because poison lasts for so long compared to fire, I could actually leave 1 enemy alive or just have hazards everywhere that enemies run into to ALWAYS keep my 10 stacks for speed, damage, crit, etc....up all the time while running around! This means I no longer needed to build up my stacks. Great way to up my DPS quickly.

Now, for the cherry on top: flails have a secret combo that I accidentally came across. Apparently if you get to about the 4th swing for your Light Combo (right before it leads into the finisher), hold down the Light attack button and Eivor will endlessly swing the Flails around until you run out of stamina. Now, originally I thought it was a fluke but I noticed my damage SKYROCKETED! I was thinking there was no way this would be any good because the fact flails get their damage cut in half. But it seems that when you continue swinging the flails beyond the "Finisher" by holding the button down, it seems to engage the Finsher damage for the Flails endlessly at super high speeds and also ignores the "damage in half" rule (or bug, not sure which lol). Pretty much speed similar to Daggers with really high damage. I use the Mentor set with 10 stacks of attack speed Rune and a couple of 1.7 Speed Runes and will have like 70 Speed (which i think is a bit higher because of the way flails combo work) while dishing 200 to 400 damage hits. Absolutely MELTS bosses.

Straight up, this has hands down become my favorite build. Ridiculous versatility once you get use to it and insanely fun especially when you get the momentum going. Nothing like killing brutes in virtually 1 hit after building up the Light Combo and also seeing enemies that you never engaged with on the other side of the castle die from fire and poison damage.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@bjgobbledix

there was a video about this made well a week ago 😉

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

I saw the video too, but by the time people are advanced enough in the game for this build, they should be steam-rolling everything anyway, except those dumb utengard witches.

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@kreutzgang

with spears you can actually kille 2-3 enemies at once as well.
    Also with this flail build you run out of stamina, where as with spear your always full anyway.

Sure it nice if you want something else, however at this point i only pop in every day for the reda dailies.
    Now that i have stopped believing there is anything too those runes anyway.
    I mean we have spent well over 1,5week on that project by now and we arent any closer to solving it. At this point it just feels wasted time too me.

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

@asgardian02 Yeah, that's what I do, but I have no idea what I'm going to spend the opals on and those missions are getting mega tedious.

I stopped being interested in those mysteries after the first two were uncovered (though I admit to having wasted an inordinate amount of time trying to find the "shimmering creek"). The one with the mentors was an anticlimax and the bow one was ridiculous. The bow isn't even better than other bows anyway. Also, I just don't think that kind of thing has a place in single player games unless they are obvious mysteries so people don't waste their time trying to figure out which mystery is deemed worthy of pursuit, and it should be possible for individuals to figure them out *alone*, and without buying collectors editions or decoding an entire language. Either that or make community events for people to engage in where they actually know what they are looking for (I don't think that should be part of a single player game either, but it's better than this hit and miss stuff). Games like Dragon Age or Elder scrolls often have tidbits of lore lying around in the environment that are fascinating to nerds of the lore in those universes and can keep people discussing stuff for years, but it never comes with the delusion that deciphering some sadistically designed puzzle will yield some reward - at least not that I can remember lol. Anyway, gone off-topic now. Shame on me.

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@kreutzgang

i did get the mount that reda had yesterday. Its quite alright, although the cloth is kinda clipping.

It seems the transmog system will be back, so you could get the items from reda that you want to use with the transmog system.

Yeah i know. its the same with the other isu items, no hints could be found in game, instead for all those items you have to watch youtube from ppl who got the info from ubisoft.

• ChuckKatse
    283 posts

I find dual hammers the way to go. But everyone has their own preference. For me dual hammers maxed out is way OP. Add in 4.0 Heavy Damage and 4.0 elite Damage ruines with diamond ruines of Ignite Weapon after critical hits and chance to poison weapon after parry and you go right thru any enemy. I have tried Dual Daggers, and Spears even Dual Flails but for me Hammers out performed them all. I use the Blacksmith and Ukanisesere Hammers.

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@chuckkatse

i find heavy damage clunky and slow, i only use light damage its just faster.
    Also keep in mind that when you use more then 2 of the same runes you want get full value of the 3th or 4th rune.

The faster your weapoons the more attacks you get in espcecially when used with chc on hit, attack on hit etc

Bonus of spears is also their huge range, maces or daggers have a small hitbox

also but thats just me i dont like things that will benefit only elites or certain enemy types, i prefer flat damage all over.

• ChuckKatse
    283 posts

@asgardian02 To me hammers are not clunky or slow. Hammers upgraded to their maximum level and potential are far from being slow. I use light damage attacks with hammers but when I use a heavy attack it is massive damage which many enemy opponents cannot even recover from. To prove my point, I tested dual Flails on a Zealot level 250. I was not able to defeat it. Ran out of usable health slots and adrenaline slots Got him down to around 45%. Reloaded my game changed to dual hammers and had that same zealot killed in less than 45 seconds and never had to use one of my health slots and had usable adrenaline slots left over. That Zealot was using a shield but he was being stunned over and over again his shield was useless. The damage output from hammers devastated that Zealot and out performed the Flails. Every player uses what they feel is best for their play style. I like to blow right thru any opponent hammers does the trick and very quickly. That includes the ledgendary animals they are a cake walk when using dual hammers that have been upgraded to their full potential.

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@chuckkatse

u needed 45second to kill an enemy? damn son that sux...

anyway to each their own. I am really digging my spear build which is super fast, high chc and chd a group of 10 elites is down with a few second on drengr setting
    i dont even use any special abilities either, just spam light attacks.

Given how easy the game is even on drengr it doesnt really matter anyway, but if you like the look of hammers smash away 🐖
    I heal automatically upon each ch so thats super convenient too.

BTW. one of your weapons is from the helix store. it involves dodging and heavy damage. For one i wouldnt ever spend my money and such thing and if your attacks are super fast you get just more attack in which in turn means overal more damage. 🙂
    With the correct runes and builds etc.

• DuskDragon56496
    380 posts

@ChuckKatse lol this is funny, what does it matter.I'm playing on drengr and it's so easy you have to put lower stats on just about everything or they die to quickly,I guess it's alright if you don't want enemies to fight back but I've found the game to be easy no matter what you use

• ChuckKatse
    283 posts

@asgardian02 less than 45 seconds and that was on hard mode against a level 250 Zealot. Your spears or Flails would of had a hard time getting thru the Zealots shield.

• DuskDragon56496
    380 posts

I beat the 2 legendary cats on drengr in 30 seconds with the spears,you see it doesn't matter, the game is just too easy

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@chuckkatse

i play only on drengr mode.

Sure the base damage of maces a big higher then on spears, but the attackspeed of spear is so much higher, also with double spears you actually attack with both of them all the time, which double attacks.
    where as with mace only mace is swinging

my setup:
    Full mentor set, with fyrd spear, cadfarch spear, viper bow
    3x +chd runes, 3x +4attack runes, 1 chained perfection rune, 1x curative perfection rune,
    1x chained swiftness rune, 1x brigandine rune, 4x evasion rune, 3x great life rune, 7x great warrior rune.

you could swap chained perfection out for 1x chained fury rune, but i feel i do more damage with more chd.
    Spartan bow is also an option, sadly though the slowmo finisher moves get in the way of your effects and by the time another slowmo finisher is done the effect of the dodge is gone too, thats why i prefer the viper bow.

There is no point to keep stacking warrior rune in all your armor because at a certaon point it adds zero stats.
    You constaly have to check on your stats screen if the rune you add are actually improving your stats, cos after a few of each you get diminishing returns, the game doesnt tell you this, but you can see for youself.

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

This week we have to fight with bearded axes and 2handed sword. Those are super slow and weak.
    2x beared axe took me forever to kill a bunch of dudes compared to 2x spears.

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

@asgardian02 not as bad as when we had to use 2 shields

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@kreutzgang

why would you do that?

i was really looking forward to shields, unfortunately they didnt add any cool skills for shields making them pretty useless compared to other items.
    Such a shame.

Suggested Topics