Continue your odyssey

Welcome to discussion

Quick Suggestions

Hello! These new forums are an open beta and we welcome your feedback in this section.
  • MexicanTemplar
    Original poster 39 posts
    This post is deleted!
  • TORFINR
    320 posts

@asgardian02 Once more we agree, asgardian! And for once we're not talking about the game's replayability 🤙

And if I may, I'd add simply that you dont even need to be muscular to be a warrior. The usage of the spear for instance, or of the bow, could easily be possible even for less muscular females/males as they are based on skills and not on raw force.

• TORFINR
    320 posts
    (...)calling those male wannabes ugly.. wich they really are.. (...)

Subjectivity. Your opinion not a fact.

i call you the typical left that thinks tv shows like vikings are documentaries

You're the only one talking about wannabe realities here, and the only one who mentioned tv series. We're bringing you historical and archaeological facts, you counter us with ... your opinion.

like i say, there isnt really a 100% accurated proof of females warriors

In fact there are. Arab, Franc and Byzantine sources, well documented, about female warriors.

And also:

• The Byzantine historian John Skylitzes wrote that women fought in battle when Sviatoslav I of Kiev attacked the Byzantines in Bulgaria in 971. When the Varangians had suffered a devastating defeat in the Siege of Dorostolon, the victors were stunned to discover armed women among the fallen warriors.

• When Leif Erikson's pregnant half-sister Freydís Eiríksdóttir was in Vinland, she is reported to have taken up a sword and, bare-breasted, scared away the attacking Skrælings. The fight is recounted in the Greenland saga.

• Saxo Grammaticus reported also that shield-maidens fought on the side of the Danes at the Battle of Brávellir in the year 750: "Now out of the town of Sle, under the captains Hetha (Heid) and Wisna, with Hakon Cut-cheek came Tummi the Sailmaker. On these captains, who had the bodies of women, nature bestowed the souls of men. Webiorg was also inspired with the same spirit, and was attended by Bo (Bui) Bramason and Brat the Jute, thirsting for war."

• StabithaVMF
    4 posts

If this guy is so upset about his incorrect picture of history being wrong, wait until he finds out the Isu aren't real - he's gonna have an aneurism.

And I know he said he need to go outside, but I think it's better for everyone that he doesn't tbh lol

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@torfinr

yeah i think its so weird that when men play superheroes etc its expected from them to be muscular and look ripped. But when women play a superhero of in an actionmovie they are skinny AF.
    That doesnt look natural at all, even my wife cant stand those kind of movies where a super skinny girls takes out hordes of big dudes.

• kreutzgang
    600 posts

Women in games are almost always either unrealistically feminine/sexy, barely dressed and swinging their butts like they are on a catwalk, or basically men with female voices.

• kreutzgang
    600 posts

@torfinr there's also Brunhilde

• TORFINR
    320 posts

@kreutzgang You're right, thanks for the head up!

• Patricia81994
    113 posts

I agree with the OP female Eivor is more a man then a woman only the sound of "her" voice is feminine the rest is male.

What i also think how Ubisoft sees us women is when it comes to games like Valhalla and Odyssey it's all male in the commercials it's Alexios or male Eivor. And then i see Immortal Fenyx Rising it's colorful and a little childish and it's all female Fenyx that covers everything.

So conclusion when a game gets tough and realistic it's all male and when the game gets colorful and more like a cartoon it's all female ?

Not okay Ubisoft not okay at all and it bugs me quite a bit.

• kreutzgang
    600 posts

@patricia81994 what's even worse is they advertise the game with the male and then say the female is canon. Then advertise it with the female too.

• Yesin069
    457 posts

@patricia81994

I would love it when Ubisoft makes the AC China game with Shau-Jun and we get trained by Ezio. Why the hell did they thow away this chance and made a AC Chronicles spin-off of this great idea.

Shau-Jun had so much potential to be the first mainline female assassin without the useless choice between male and female. She would get all the focus and be the main figure for all marketing. She looked feminine enough and also moved like that, without being sexualized. Hopefully one day they will go back to the single protagonist and do a game with a woman. But just if it isn't forced to please everyone. After the whole shitstorm they got with the Ashraf Ismail and sexualization against women i think Ubisoft will forcefully push a woman as the lead protagonist, even if it doesn't was their idea in the first place.

Let's see what they will do...

• TORFINR
    320 posts

@patricia81994 I am for my part a fierce defender of female stuff whenever it's possible. And especially when it's historically accurate (see what I wrote above)
    But we have to admit that for Odyssey and Valhalla, it's Greek hoplites/mercenaries and Viking warriors... nothing really feminine in those concepts. So seeing women in that stuff is nice and I think that especially for Valhalla it's historically accurate (once more see above my thoughts), less for Odyssey though... but we cant expect to have "feminine" female warriors, in the XXIth century meaning of the term. Archaeological studies on skeletons of those female viking warriors proved that they were indeed much smaller with thick bones compared to modern women, even their skull have been said to be "rough", which a big lower jaw, and it tends to prove that they were rather masculine looking. It doesnt remove a thing about them being pretty, or sexy, but... in a different standard.
    If we're about depicting history, it's sadly what we have to take in account for remaining historical accurate. But if we want fantasy settings, then no problem, let's have female top-model medieval knights, black Roman centurions, and Nordic samurais...

• Patricia81994
    113 posts
    @patricia81994 I am for my part a fierce defender of female stuff whenever it's possible. And especially when it's historically accurate (see what I wrote above)
    But we have to admit that for Odyssey and Valhalla, it's Greek hoplites/mercenaries and Viking warriors... nothing really feminine in those concepts. So seeing women in that stuff is nice and I think that especially for Valhalla it's historically accurate (once more see above my thoughts), less for Odyssey though... but we cant expect to have "feminine" female warriors, in the XXIth century meaning of the term. Archaeological studies on skeletons of those female viking warriors proved that they were indeed much smaller with thick bones compared to modern women, even their skull have been said to be "rough", which a big lower jaw, and it tends to prove that they were rather masculine looking. It doesnt remove a thing about them being pretty, or sexy, but... in a different standard.
    If we're about depicting history, it's sadly what we have to take in account for remaining historical accurate. But if we want fantasy settings, then no problem, let's have female top-model medieval knights, black Roman centurions, and Nordic samurais...

That might be true what you say here but this is still a game and when you talk about historically accurate then tell me what about the whole ISU thing did that really happen as well ? And there are much more historically inaccurate things in this game ... where even to begin. And then you talk about fantasy uh ... what i just mentioned ( ISU ) is fantasy or am i wrong ?

• Patricia81994
    113 posts
    Women in games are almost always either unrealistically feminine/sexy, barely dressed and swinging their butts like they are on a catwalk, or basically men with female voices.

So true ... but in Valhalla's case Ubisoft went a little to far with "female" Eivor just my humble opinion.

• TORFINR
    320 posts

@patricia81994 The ISU thingy isnt present all the time in the game. My brain skip it (and I play it only once) I focus only on things you see all the time in the game. And most of them are historically accurate. All in all Origins, Odyssey and Valhalla are much more "serious" and historical accurate than Immortal phoenix for instance. Of course it's not 100% but I feel historically immersed in Origins while I dont in Immortal phoenix. 80-90% Historical accuracy vs 100% fantasy.

• Yesin069
    457 posts

As the first AC titles those games should be historically accurate with some creative freedom how some known people died. The Isu stuff is also essential but just in major plot points. From Origins they onwords they leaned too much into the Isu stuff which made the games more unrealistic.

• hroozenbeek
    1024 posts

@yesin069 I think this is just the way most franchises develop. Take the Alien-movies, for example. In the first movie one monster was enough to keep us in suspense for the entire movie, in the end they slaughtered them by the dozens. And what about television series about superheroes like Arrow? They become more far-fetched with every season, just to keep reinventing themselves and surpassing previous seasons in fear of disappointing viewers with basically the same stuff over and over again. AC I had one Apple of Eden, now we complain about not having enough Isu-weapons in Valhalla...

As to the so-called 'masculine' way female Eivor moves: did they use the same motion capture for both male and female Eivor? I haven't really examined this, but I had the impression they simply used the male actor for most of the motion capture stuff (except facial movements and some specific scenes). That's just a way to cut costs. But I may be totally wrong. In any case, I totally agree with others that a so-called 'feminine' female Eivor would have been far less credible. (Although I must admit that in Odyssey, Kassandra looked much better in the Amazon armor than Alexios did. 😉 )

• kreutzgang
    600 posts

@hroozenbeek The male Eivor acts like a female in conversation cut scenes imo, but btw this isn't exclusive to Ubi. In Dragon Age Inquisition, the female walks like the male in cutscenes, although the normal animation in-game is butt-swingy, and it looks really weird. Same if you play an elf, male or female. 😄

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@hroozenbeek

i couldnt watch arrow past season 2, didnt even bother with any of the other superheroes shows on CW.
    They degraded so fast. Quite a shame cos arrow started pretty strong in the beginning, but it just got so cheesy and more of a teen flick rapidly

• hroozenbeek
    1024 posts

@asgardian02 I agree. I endured it for a little while longer than you did, but in the end I too lost interest. The more powerful a superhero is, the less interesting, because the writers have to devise all these weird things to keep challenging him or her. As a kid, I always preferred Batman over Superman (although I didn't read much superhero comics). And now I know why.

Suggested topics

Community details

Users
Topics