Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• ChuckKatse
    Original poster 283 posts

I wish Ubisoft would of focused more on the Viking Theme of Raiding, Attacking Castles and more story content. Maybe having a quest were you design and build your own Viking Ship like the Settlement. Instead the game hosted Stacking stones and doing weird Animus puzzles. To me those puzzles really served no purpose except to maybe be a filler. Just takes away from the theme of the game. But that is my opinion.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• ImaginaryRuins
    418 posts

@chuckkatse The purpose of stacking stones is to clear one's mind. One wins by playing it, as Eivor's mother put it. Platforming puzzles have long been an AC feature, which goes all the way back to AC2, Brotherhood, Revelations, and 3. They are already more engaging than simply picking up collectibles if you ask me.

• OrcBeard92
    160 posts

@chuckkatse As @ImaginaryRuins says, puzzles have always been part of the AC world. Whether it was parkouring under a time limit or pulling levers to open a door.

I think that Valhalla has done these well for the most part because it encourages you to look closely at the world and investigate it for yourself. You start to notice little details or things about people's lives that you might have missed otherwise.

In Origins there were the stargazing constellation puzzles and the pyramid puzzles, which I found sorely missing from Odyssey. In Odyssey a lot of the gameplay was kind of a blur. Nice scenery but not a lot of depth outside of the quests.

We still have the option for bloodshed and raiding, but I think Valhalla needed some of Origin's 'slow' moments to keep it going. They're 100% optional and only add some more context to the world for those who want to go out of their way. You're entitled to your view though.

• TORFINR
    375 posts

In my opinion the problem is no having puzzles in Valhalla, itäs the fact that there are too many of them. The maps are full of puzzles of all kind, even most mysteries are in fact puzzles. Chests are hidden as puzzles. Tattoos are parkour puzzles. Easily 80% of the points of interest in the game are more or less puzzles.
    It's way too much for an action based RPG with a viking theme.

It goes beyond the simple problem of puzzles, it's also the source of most complains out here: the lack of replayability comes directly from the fact that the map is full of puzzles. Nice or not, great or boring, once you've played them you somehow delete a part of the map, you dont need to go there anymore. Compared to Odyssey, where you still had missions asking to loot a specific item in a fort, or simply a contract asking you to go back there and kill x archer or burn y resources. It made the map feel more alive, real. Valhalla gives the feeling that you're "destroying" the content while you progress, and that slowly but surely your game becomes smaller and smaller, until reaching the point where you game is "over", just like in the old games from the 90ies.

• Yesin069
    554 posts

I like the mix of forts and puzzles in Valhalla more than the endless forts in Odyssey.

The problem i see is just that there are too many of them, because Ubisoft is known for their bloat in games. If you play once or twice a week this shouldn't be a problem but if you play every day for some hours it becomes highly repetitive, when you try to 100% the game.

This is more of a problem in lockdown times where people play more than ever. And this is even why buggy games are more of a problem and get more shitstorms. We want to play Valhalla now because lots of us are sitting at home for months and want something to do. The bugs in this game would not be the problem, when we still had other things to do but now we only have games, movies and stuff like that. So they should fix the game faster and think about new content later.

• TORFINR
    375 posts
    I like the mix of forts and puzzles in Valhalla more than the endless forts in Odyssey.

The problem is that we're not talking about a "mix" anymore. Puzzles in a form or another is our standard bread and butter in Valhalla. The non-puzzle activities outside the main story arc are almost non-existent.
    And as for me at least, if I play an AC is for killing stuff, and yes, I prefer the "endless forts" of Odyssey than the "endless puzzles" à la Lara Croft of Valhalla.

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@torfinr

what comes to mind is NG+
    There nothing worth doing a second time to warrant NG+ in this game.

• TORFINR
    375 posts

@asgardian02 Excatly my point! NG+ was justifiable in Origins/Odyssey, but in Valhalla?!? Who wants to redo all the puzzles of the map?

• Yesin069
    554 posts

@torfinr

That is true. Ubisoft has the bad habbit of overdoing stuff. They clearly have a problem with too big worlds and can'T find a balance of stuff to do. Why does an AC game have to be 100 hours long at all. 50 hours at max would be fine too.

Regarding NG+:

Maybe replayable missions would be enough here but some people just want to enjoy the game again with all skills and armor because they skipped a lot of things in their first playthrough. So I think NG+ is needed in Valhalla too and maybe replayable missions too. They already have a list of all done missions so they just need to make them replayable and add NG+ with exlusive new armor, enemies and harder difficulty.
    This needs some work but Ubisoft has money and employees to pull it off. I simply don't trust them anymore. If we get NG+, than it will be the bare minimum that they can do. Replay the game with all your stuff...that's all!

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@yesin069

that wont happen, in odyssey many ppl complained that easy was too hard, so now in valhala the entire game is [censored] easy even on drengr 😞

Suggested Topics