ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• axlslak23
    Original poster 100 posts

https://www.ign.com/articles/ubisoft-moving-away-from-reliance-on-aaa-releases

I've been speculating for a while now, ever since Origins, that Ubi is moving slowly towards a MMO. Even earlier than that, they had a limited capability multiplayer. Maybe not out loud and to so many people, but it just felt like they were preparing for something online. And there's only one type experience that resembles something workable. Think WOW AC. Or AC WOW. Or AC AO. Anarchy Online. I wasted 7 years of my life with that. That's why I never got into WOW. But it's basically the same thing. Except with much more grinding, and instead of NPC's, you have to deal with a lot of people. Sometimes fun, but most times incredibly annoying and time consuming.

I am wondering, how you guys feel about that? Read the article for yourselves. Think if the MMO model is what they are talking about. Think if you would like that.

The way I see it, it's quite obvious why they are doing it. Much easier to hide the bugs. Much easier to add content to a stale game later. Much easier to extract more money. If you think about it, ubi can only claim ~100$ per year from you. But if the monthly subscription is 20$ per month, in 12 months that is 240$. that's already doubled per year.

They call it "free to play". Sure. A broken version where you can only get to level 10, while everyone else is level 100. Everything about 3 releases SCREAMS MMO. Reda and the "online" currency. the user generated content. daily missions. online store. all these things should have tipped us off. And in the beginning I was all for it. But now I feel betrayed. I didn't invest 14 years into this universe to be turned into an amusement park. This game used to be MY game. JUST MINE. And after 14 years, without an ending.. it's going to be turned into an MMO? No story? No ending?

One last comment, before I put the question to you. After the gamestop incident, and after the CD projekt hack, I would have thought Ubi would try at least to put some gloves first. Or invite us to dinner. Or something. But they are going hard, kinda like Abstergo. Gutsy move on their part. I wish them nothing but success, but if they are trying to pull off what I've just described, they will do it without this particular "assassin". And I wish them all the best luck in the world. But on the other hand, while googling stuff for this post, I already found that their stock is down 7.50% down. Ohhh... that's unfortunate. Sales might be up, and there are daily puff articles on google news. But nobody is actually buying it... I think.

What do you guys think?

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Karloz1995
    268 posts

@axlslak23 seeing how Ac valhalla is so massively flooded with microtransactions... is kind of what they want to make, in an MMO they can make all this kind of things wiht the excuse of being freemium, is what a lot of game companies are doing....

i dont know why there isnt a law that regularize this kind of stuff for game companies...

i dont want to discriminate certain kind of "gamers' but this is what mobil gaming has made to the game industry.. just look at all the money mobil games are making, these games are "free" but flooded with microtransaction, they tell you u can get everything without the need of paying but they also made it very hard to get, u need to farm and do a lot of repetitive stuff to be able to get something that most of these kind of players gets with money in seconds... u can take years to be at some high rank position, only to be replace by someone with a big wallet.. thats how these games works, games are not for gamers anymore.. u can feel it already with how bland the story in most games has become, the inmersive story telling and the gameplay now is just kind of bland... back a days people may not like older AC games, because of the gameplay.. but storywise they are very good.. i cry with some of those games.. but with odyssey/valhalla it just feel bland and boring

• longjohn119
    1334 posts

They don't even have an online multiplayer feature in AC games so how are they transitioning to Massively Multiplayer Online?

• WendysBrioche
    11 posts

It's their business but I wouldn't like that.

I'm a single player guy myself. I'm actually happy to pay for microtransactions in single player games, as long as the content is meaningful for me and reasonably priced.

I actually quite like the model they've done for Valhalla, they put super fantasy stuff that not all players, but some players would like in the microtransactions/ Reda section, rather than in the story mode so as not to spoil setting integrity, but also do the historical(I think they were called the Einjerar and Heatrthweru sets) stuff I like in the micro/Reda as well, which is the kind of stuff I prefer to get instead of the fantasy stuff.

On the subject of the article, I'm all for extended support and dlc cycles for these games. A belief I've always had is why make these impressive open worlds, but not re-use these worlds by adding more story content or weapons/cosmetics to more fully enrich what they've already made. That said though, I'd still like a new Assassin's Creed game every 2 years, 3 years max. I like getting to see all the historical locations the series is able to touch up on that other franchises can't or don't.

But I really don't need an Assassin's Creed game every year anymore. I think every 2 is the sweet spot. 3 I could do but it's starting to stretch it.

• axlslak23

@karloz1995 well, 2 things. there's no one to regularize things. and that's a good thing because that would be communism. if somebody, and that can only be the government, could tell ubi... do not ruin AC... that would be communism. it would be fair, because, we are invested since 2014, and ubi needs to be held responsible, but I dont think the government should do it. I'll do it. By not buying another cent worth of ubisoft crap.

I don't discriminate either. I have nothing against people who have money and want to look cool. I have something against loosing the meaning of AC. I shouldn't even call it ubi. I should just call it abstergo.

• axlslak23

@wendysbrioche I have 300 hours in valhalla. That's all I'm going to say.

No, I'm going to say more. I know I have a problem. They know I am a junkie and they are switching to a junkie friendly business model. And they are never going to satisfy my curiosity. Why would they?

I feel like I can't commit to a MMO. MMO means the Isu stuff will never get a final episode. It's like david lynch stuff. It's just for you to interpret. That would be fine in twin peaks, but not in AC.

IF abstergo wants to make a mmo, that's fine. I can even try it out. point out bugs. but it can't be called AC. and if it is, I want my last 14 years back.

• axlslak23

@longjohn119 they do and they did. technically many things are "online". like the opal thing is an online feature. if you had a save, and you would be able to change that save, you could change gold, level, many things, but not opal. that was by design. also you can't change what is in the online store. or the daily missions. those are all features from mmo games. your single player client, is actually an online platform to deliver those things. its a mmo incognito. 🙂

• hroozenbeek
    1024 posts

@axlslak23 If Ubisoft would turn AC into an MMO, I'm out (and I've played and liked every game since AC I). To compare: I loved Fallout 4, but I don't play Fallout 76; I did try the free demo, but it's not for me. I prefer single player games.

I don't really mind that Ubisoft adds extra content through microtransactions. It's my choice to buy or not buy. They're pushing it a little bit too agressively for my taste, but that's up to them. If they would only offer a few really attractive items, I would actually be more tempted to buy than this plethora of crazy stuff.

• TORFINR
    382 posts

Well, before making MMO they will have to learn how to strengthen the RPG elements of their games. Origins started to be RPG, Odyssey went in that direction too, and then came Valhalla where they stripped the RPG elements of the two previous titles. One step forward, two steps backwards...

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

I have had a feeling when playing Valhalla that it's trying to pave the way to an MMO. The microtransactions, the grinding, the alleged "secrets" that can only be unearthed via a team effort, the community goals, the Jomsvikings, the linear fort raids.

I hate MMO's and would not play any MMO again, ever, nor would I play a co-op game unless it's an optional thing.

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

Also, I think companies should stick to what they know how to do instead of jumping on bandwagons and trying to compete in areas where others are already established. See crap like Anthem.

• Asgardian02
    1938 posts

@kreutzgang

well all these big companies try to maximise profit, which means you can expect all of them to launch mobile games as well, sooner rather then later.

I dont see the attraction for mobile games myself, but yeah.

• XX-Artorias-XX
    92 posts

@asgardian02 i love gaas, and i would love a AC with online mechanics.

An mmo where you can goes around and kill boss or make raid with other player,i will love.

But, should be improved in a lot of aspect.

Mmo has a deep rpg elements or build to play.

A open world with a lot of Activity and boss/ mini boss to fight.

And A LOT OF LOOT .

• Sam_Boo26
    175 posts

I would definitively not play an AC game if it's a MMO because it's not a genre that interests me. I'm in for DLCs for sure though, I like the format they had for the most recent games. It's fine to have 2 years between each game, too.

Suggested Topics