Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Yesin069
    Original poster 554 posts

Assassin's Creed Valhalla Is Too Damn Long (kotaku.com)

I've seen this article recently and wanted to ask you this question: Is Valhalla too long?

In my opinion 50 or 100 hour long games are great, when they are worth it and able to be fun all those time. We see what happens when devs want to shorten their games to please articles like that. Cyberpunk 2077 got a shorter campaign just because of people like this author. People found Witcher 3 too long so they shortened the main story of Cyberpunk 2077 and cut out a lot of content.

If devs want to tell a long story and go into detail with every of their characters, they should do it and never try to please all customers. There will surely be enjough people that will love all the narrative bits that long games give us.

When I say "long game" I also don't mean filled with collectibles or meaningless side stuff. We are talking about main stories here.

Thos game reviewer just want to finish games fast to review them as fast as possible. So they simply do not care about anything else. Normal gamers like me don't play 500 games a year and just pick those games they really like and want to enjoy them. When they are long, this will be even better. We have more to enjoy and can spread the time playing over a longer period.

Sadly CD Project RED listened to the wrong people and destroyed many narrative facettes of Cyberpunk 2077 and if Ubisoft will hear listen to those people after Valhalla it won't end well for us.

They will then shorten the main campaign and just put more meaningless stuff into the game that is "optional" and weill put out even longer roadmaps with not much content that needs a long time to come out.

Take care of what you wish for!

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@yesin069

i rather play 1 or 2 games that i really enjoy and can sink my teeth in.
    Howsever if most is just filler and useless stuff it sux.

• Yesin069

@asgardian02

I also prefer 1-2 longer games instead of 10 shorter ones. But also the quality should be right.

• reyals-81
    13 posts

in my opinion the length of valhalla was just perfect. But i'am the kind of player who just plays one game at a time...not more. I realy don't like the games which end after 10 to20 hours.

Looking forward for new content, hope they'll release the river raids asap

• AnimusLover
    87 posts

Contrary to your opinion, OP, the article states that they were not reviewing Valhalla, that they played it purely for fun but that it was still too long.

Valhalla is too long. You could have torn ouy about 3 chapters to tighten the story; at one point the story takes a detour from the Sigurd narrative to form more random alliances.

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@animuslover

yeah that was super annoying.

Doesnt fit with the RPG style either. You should have been able to continue at your leisure either with sigurd arc or with the alliances arc.

• Yesin069

This is why i said the quality should also be the highest priority. I prefer long games with quality content. I am not that far into Valhalla but i expect a lot of story stretches along the way.

If the authors have long stories to tell and want to give every character in their games some time to shine and develop, then i love to spend 100 hours in this. But if they just put meaningless filler stuff into it to make it longer, i would prefer shorter, more focused approaches.

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@yesin069

i would love a game that is a mic of hack and slash and good RPG story.

• cp0
    2 posts

Even though cyberpunks main story is shorter, they moved a lot of the content to decent side missions. You can only get different endings if you do lots of side mission arcs.

• Yesin069

@cp0

Surely some things were used in side missions. But a lot got just wiped out because they wanted to please everyone (which no dev should ever try).

One early cutscene for instance were V and Jackie become friends and a time period of maybe 6 months is put in one cutscene. Here CDPR clearly wanted to make this more playable to get to know the character better. BUT no...the intelligent management said people want shorter games...so let's make a short cutscene instead of 10 hours gameplay.

• Sam_Boo26
    154 posts

I really like Valhalla's length. I like to have a great and interesting long story like this. I always say quality is more important than quantity, but in this case, the story is really great, so the length is perfect like this.

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

I really like long games. There aren't many games I want to play at all, so I want those I do play to last a long time. And no, I do not think Valhalla is too long story wise. But yes, I did start to get bored towards the end because I was trying to clear all the markers on the map before finishing the main campaign, which I gave up on in the end and then just finished it bit by bit every day while doing Reda quests and weekly challenges. I now only have 1 stone stacker and about 4 of the anomalies left - which I do not want to do, and the hunting/fishing stuff (including an offering stone) which I just cannot be bothered with - not my idea of fun.

Why CDPR would shorten Cyberpunk because a handful of people moaned about the Witcher being too long is beyond me. The main story in that game isn't long at all if you rush through it. Talking of, the so-called endgame of Valhalla is reminiscent of Skellige. Trying to clear all the ? off the map there is also tedious.

• Yesin069

@kreutzgang

This is why i always do side stuff alongside the main quest. To keep the gameplay fresh and varied. I never rush anything and always play games slowly. I can't understand how people are able to 100% games like Valhalla in some weeks. I will need much longer for this...

I will never forget those smuggler caches in Skellige...

The devs said that this was the worst thing in the game and they needed to add some stuff to the water areas short before the game was released. At least they said that this was a fault. Unlike Ubisoft which still gives us too much of those collectibles.

I heard there is even an easter egg in Cyberpunk regarding those smuggler cache "?".

• Karloz1995
    268 posts

@yesin069 for me is good, i like long story games.. i kind of liked the story in valhalla, some arcs where boring like asgard/jotun one, i didnt like that, but the main one, is kind of good, not perfect ofcourse, but better then odyssey at least for me 😞 but apart from the story, the gameplay feels repetitive at some point.. u are just doing the same stuff over and over again.. kind of boring... i liked the cinematic where u are on boat and u get attacked by fire arrows, thats was cool, but sadly it was an interactive cinematic.. wish it was actually a feature for the game.. imagine raiding a town at night and get attacked like that.. was very cool seriously

• Yesin069

@karloz1995

I am looking forward to this scene! 😁

Hopefully the patch comes out tomorrow so i can start play Valhalla after 1 month again. I am at home til wednesday... 😊

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

@karloz1995 Same for me. I really liked the main story, except asgard/jotunheim as they are grind-flawed. What brings the game down is the sheer amount of repetitive puzzle-based content, a lot of which comes across as half-arsed, the badly designed skill trees, the lack of enemies, terrible inventory design, and the linear nature of some of the content.

• Yesin069

@kreutzgang

The terrible inventory in AC games since Origins is just so annoying. Why can't Ubisoft improve those things? They just reuse the same things for mostly 3 or more games before changing anything. Can't they let a small team handle the UI for every game instead of using the same one?

Give this game some modding tools and a single modder does a better inventory than Ubisoft did. This floating mouse curser is just so annoying and i alreade hated it in Origins.

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@yesin069

if only they would reused stuff from odyssey though.

the inventories are the worst i have ever seen indeed.

• evilhippo
    79 posts

@yesin069 No, ACV is not too long. Kotaku is dependably wrong about everything & its 'journalists' are a joke 😁

• Kirk-Punch
    6 posts

I feel that it runs a bit long. The main story is overall pretty good, but some of the later chapters just feel like repeats of earlier ones.

Awkward but well meaning kid going to inherit a shire. Eivor shows up, queue the training montage. Or sinister forces at work at an urban hub. Sneak around and unmask the conspirators. Both premises are repeated multiple times over the allegiance arc.

The arc really slows down late game. Was expecting hordes of Picts pouring over Hadrian’s wall and more epic sieges. But had to use my mythic warhammer to fix everyone’s personal problems.

So...think the main story was fine but some parts of the allegiance arc dragged on. Feel this was especially so late game.

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics