Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• B00MSIE
    307 posts

@yesin069

The iron and leather you can only get once at each location, so you can only earn silver with them after played once. You can earn about 200-500 silver in one raid if you search every house in say 4 locations on a map. A raids cost you 50 silver (more if your Jomsvikings get killed, because you have to hire others for the next raid. But I doubt this will happen to anybody). In a drinking game you can win more in less time. Fishing gives you even more silver in lesser time.

The only reason to replay the river raids is because you like the raids. Raiding a monastery does not even count in your Ubisoft connect stats.

Normally I always play as an assassin, but I tried this out as a true Viking and must admit, I like it. It is actually not totally bad. I can imagine I will do a river raid now and then. Just for the fun of it. Not saying it is great, but for me it has some replay value. I had not expect to like it at all.

But Ubisoft could have made a better experience. Even the names of the locations show the lack of commitment. Feels like halfway in development they fired all people involved and outsourced it to the cheapest company.

• Yesin069
    548 posts

@kreutzgang

This is also likely.

The only thing we know from Ubisoft is, that the next free content will focus on "another core gameplay mechanic of Valhalla". I think river raids are done now and maybe they will add some more (generic) locations to this mode but this won't be advertised as big.

I think the next big core gameplay mechanic of Valhalla is combat (even if river raids are already full of combat). I just try to think as Ubisoft, so the next mode is fully combat focussed. I expect an arena with horde mechanics which is endlessly repeatable.

This would still be a joke to me because the two previous games had this content from the get go. No need to praise this as new free content.

Ubisoft are really going the wrong way with Valhalla. I really like the game and would like more story quests, instead of those game modes. Those modes should have been in the game from the start. I also already know that the march content will be boring as hell. We need to wait a whole month to get some new time limited spring festival with another reskined gear set. This will be all for march...Than wait another month for the story DLC which surely will be bugged like hell when it releases...

@B00MSIE

Oh, I didn't know that...

So this game mode has even less replay value.

I will just play everything ones and get all the gear and other stuff. Than I will never return. When I want to raid something I can raid the same locations in the base game. If there is no special loot in the river raid mode, why should I even care and play in those generic areas. The base game areas are much more fleshed out and hand-crafted. Also your cred will sing on the boat, you can use your raven and horse. No idea why those three things are all diesabled in river raid mode...

• B00MSIE
    307 posts

@yesin069

So the river raids brought this old bug also back...

• Asgardian02
    Original poster 1932 posts

@yesin069

if you want to farm iron and leather there are far better and faster methods.

Just take into consideration the laoding times to enter and ext the RR, then the sailing towards your destination, then the running towards the actual chest which could very well have a lock, then you need to find the key...
    All that hassle and annoyance for bit of mats and then all that work over and over.

No leather can be easily farmed in Hamtunscire in the woods, there is an area with over 50 boars that give 50 leather each.
    Honestly leather is no issee, i have maxed every single piece to the max and still have over 10k leather.

For iron there are 3 great spots on top of fast travel point which you can just repeat over and over and get thousand of ore that way.

So yeah the RR have no purpose its just a hamster wheel

• Asgardian02

@b00msie

honestly you can just as easily go to any monastary in England and kill every there, save you a whole load of sailing and river block and other stupid stuff, if all you want to is do useless stuff, that would serve that purpose too.

• Asgardian02

@yesin069

i wouldnt expect hoardes of enemies from ubisoft.

Wasnt in Odyssey, sure wont come to Valhalla, seeing how intelligent the ai is, i doubt that would be a fun experience.

• Yesin069
    548 posts

@asgardian02

I meant some type of arena horde mode like we had in Origins and Odyssey. I prefered the one in Origins because it was more integrated into the story.

I can't think of another core gameplay component in Valhalla. Stealth and parcour are just bare bones and yo ucan do nothing with those things becaue Ubisoft implemented them pretty badly.

Stealth was never more broken than in Valhalla. You can't kill two guards without alerting everyone. The only tactic that works is whistling in bushes and repeating it for minutes. This isn't my definition of fun or immersion...

The most core thing in Valhalla for me is the story. They should concentrate on more story content and all the other efforts should go into fixing bugs and adding quality of life features and new stuff into the game. This modes are just soooo useless...

• B00MSIE
    307 posts

@asgardian02

I agree you can also raid a monastery in the base game, but in the river raids the locations are closer together. Just saying I enjoy it. I am not praising it into heaven. Shame all buildings/locations are the same, so I don’t imagine playing it daily. For me the loading times are almost zero, since I play on a XBox Series X.

• lemmie88
    133 posts

@b00msie

I agree about still enjoying it. There is a great location in the main game where I've been doing my own "river raid" against Picts to have something to do since completing the story. I dock at the harbor east of Tip of the Spear in Snotinghamscire and sail north up the river Maun. First, you come across a civilian settlement overrun by Picts. Slightly further north is a Pict camp. And at the end of the river is Elmet monastery. They are all quite close together and a lot more fun than the RR imho. Elmet monastery is the best. Its packed with special enemies and the Picts always seem to alert each other. Also, if you walk like 50 feet away, they respawn, sometimes twice, before finally clearing out. There's a titanium rock there that also respawns twice.

This is the one location I still find challenging and fun. I actually hope ubisoft will add a RR location completely overrun by Picts or bandits and make it packed full of enemies like at Elmet. 🤞 🤞 🤞 🙏

• DaelosTheCat
    167 posts

Valhalla lacks challenge period. This is mostly due to enemy AI.

• Yesin069
    548 posts

@lemmie88

If you look at the river raid map, you see a lot of more space for new maps. I think every new story DLC will also add some locations there or maybe some patches (to make the areas stray free for all).

• Yesin069
    548 posts

Here some info about the new Ostara season 2. Seems like next month we get the new time limited event, than Wrath of the Druids in april (that's the only thing i am waiting for) and the new game mode in may which focusses on the "combat core experience".

Don't care for all the "free modes" to be honest. The only things i am excited about are bug fixes, transmog, NG+, filters in the inventory and finally the Siege of Paris DLC. If Ubisoft would cut out the dev time for limited events and new game modes, we could have all those features before June. Now it will take until November to have all those things.

As Magnus Bruun (voice actor of Eivor) said in Twitter, he already finished his voice recordings for Siege of Pari by now. So if Ubisoft would focus on the good things, instead of wasting their time with those events and game modes, they could start polishing this second DLC from now on with much more devs.

Title Update 1.2.0 will likely be released on the 16th of march and on the 18th of march the event will start.

• B00MSIE
    307 posts

@yesin069

I actually like the idea that they provide free updates. Although people complain, Valhalla is a great game, so we want more of it. I do think they can make something better then they did. By doing so they show commitment, strangely what they produce does not show that? I think Ubisoft is devised in two camps. One wants to create a good game, with good content. And the other one (probably management) want to maximize profits and minimize costs. So now we get free updates, but they feel like meh...

Same with the many bugs. Feels like they really try to solve them, but priorities are set to the helix store. By doing so, most people will not buy anything from that store, because you are not going to buy anything for a game filled with bugs. Somebody at Ubisoft should just wake up and see what’s really happening with this game and the community around it. And not only in this forum, but also on Reddit and other platforms. If this continues, Valhalla will have started with strong sales, but the helix store will not make much profits in the end. Maybe for the best. Maybe Valhalla must die, so better games (without helix stores), can stand up.

• Yesin069
    548 posts

@b00msie

I also like the game, but Valhalla should have much more story focused free content. The gameplay isn't the best thing about that game. The best game for me are all the lore bits that connect all AC titles. 1 or 2 new story quests every month would have been better and could be programmed faster than the route they are going now.

Even if river raids are generic and not handcrafted it surely took them a long time to develop all that stuff that most people will finish in one setting and this is it. No way this will entertain people who finished the game for two month until new content comes.

One story mission is a lot faster to produce and test for bugs and it also gives them more time for bugfixes and QOL improvements (which this game really needs). This system worked with Odyssey and we got new story missions nearly every month. The only bad thing were the story dlcs which were provided in episodes.

The developement ressources are just poorly handles from the Ubisoft higher ups. In this pandemic they should rearrange a lot of this stuff because the workflow changed pretty fast and Ubisoft should change the roadmap to battle those circumstances. But as usually they are doing business as usual and change nothing. The poor devs have to take all the [censored] instead and work overtime from home.

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

I wish people would stop calling them free updates. It's not an MMO guys, we all paid for this when we bought the game.

• hroozenbeek
    1024 posts

The funny thing about the River Raids is that many of us complained that the raids in the main game (mostly on the monasteries) were disappointing because the crew members hardly did any fighting and could never die. Now Ubisoft gave us River Raids, and we complain that the crew members do too much of the fighting and die too easily. Is it us? Are we just too negative? I don't think so. Here as in many, many other respects the game feels unbalanced to me. We now have two ships, with different crews, a different Jomsviking hall, and a radically different way of raiding. If the developers had brought these two closer together, it would have felt better and more natural, I think. And if our Jomsvikingr were less self-destructive in River Raids, we could have made the raid our primary objective instead of scrambling for resources to keep them alive. I really don't care anymore if several of my crew members die on a raid, they're easily replacable (I've got plenty of silver). I can't believe that is what the developers were trying to achieve.

• martygod12
    237 posts

There is so many ditching and pointing out mistakes and bad decisions in so many videos about Valhalla, yet the game is still succesfull and looks like majority of players are liking it, I still cant understand why.

Only hope is that next AC game should be developed by Ubisoft Quebec again

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

@hroozenbeek It does feel like when they listen, they just really overdo it. Too much loot in Odyssey? Kay next to none on the next game. You don't like the Jomsvikings being immortal? Kay, we'll make em drop like flies and morph you into a medic. *evil snickering*

Personally I was fine with the Jomsvikings in normal raids. I don't feel the need to micromanage a crew I cannot control on any other level, and they did get knocked out. The only difference is when they are knocked out now, you can farm crap to revive them non-stop and if they do KO they skip one battle as opposed to being available again immediately.

I still think a merc system would have been a better way to introduce other player's Jomsvikings into the game.

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

@martygod12 LMAO even that YTber fell for the "free content" marketing.

• Yesin069
    548 posts

@kreutzgang

I like Fizhy and his crew as YouTubers when they talk about AC. They always knew what AC is about and never praised stupid features like the other YTbers. They do not care about good relations and getting free copies before launch. No need in watching stuff from guys like JorRaptor or other ones. They clearly don't always say their opinion and rely on good relationships to publishers.

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics