Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• B00MSIE
    296 posts

@max18400

I also agree, Valhalla gets repetitive, because the world is just not believable. It is empty. I am now replaying RDR1. It is strange to see, that a game that old is more immersive then a game released in 2020.and there is not that much to do in that game either, but maybe because the map is smaller it just feels different? Valhalla looks good (if we ignore the HDR implementation), but feels like an empty shell a lot of times. I even feel that civilian NPC’s in Odyssey are more realistic then in Valhalla. This while I still think Valhalla has so much potential. The river raids begin to irritate me more and more. Think you guys just had more time playing, so I reach this moment later 😕

• Max18400
    400 posts

@b00msie I'm sorry, it is frustrating. Like comparing it to rd2 even, it doesn't even compare

• B00MSIE
    296 posts

@kreutzgang

I don’t see myself as a good gamer also. I only play single gamer games and just want to enjoy myself by living in another world then the real one, while playing a game. That’s why I like believable worlds. They don’t have to be totally realistic, but believable. Also when I learn some history or world knowledge from it, it’s great.

I didn’t bought Odyssey at launch because the way the Helix store went in Origins. For me this has be a repeatable cycle in the AC franchise. Each time I promise myself I will not buy these games anymore because of the helix store. But I notice I get more determined in this. Because Ubisoft seems to become more aggressive in their tactics with every game, I become more repulsed by it.

Because I bought Odyssey that late, and they changed gameplay over time. Believe me, the boosters were no luxury...

Before the release of Valhalla, on almost every game site, there was a story about how Ubisoft was changing the helix store. It would be totally cosmetic, for sure no boosters. They promised! For this reason I bought Valhalla blindly. Like I buy games from CD Red blindly. And don’t start about how buggy Cyberpunk is, because if we are going to count bugs, Valhalla wins by far... The fact that after 4 months, savegames still get lost regularly while playing on a XSX is just crazy terrible support. And that is just one example, this game is filled with gamebreaking bugs.

Now I am at a point where I still want to keep playing Valhalla, but the feeling begins to shift...

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

@b00msie Valhalla is good as long as you are still doing main missions and as long as you don't tire yourself out by doing too much of the side content. You end up over levelled anyway, but at least there's still some point to it, and for the most part the story is good. The game has too much grindy stuff, there's no point in even trying to play as a proper assassin (even worse now with the new bug), there's too much repetition in side content, and there's too much linearity in it for an open world game. As I've said before, it feels like a linear game slapped into an open world with some half thought out extra content that they put too much of in. Collect dumb amounts of x or y while doing repetitive rubbish just isn't interesting content. As a linear game with maybe 1/3 of the side content and a lot less skill points, it would have been fine, but not marketable as an open world game which people are supposed to keep playing. They also could have had the same amount of side content but randomly generate 1/3 of it per playthrough, which would at least have made replaying it more interesting.

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

@b00msie Yeah, the Helix store is annoying as heck, and they seem to come up with different way of trying to get people to use it with each title. In Odyssey it was those xp boosters I guess, and in Valhalla, they make the game artificially hard in Norway to encourage people to buy armour and resource packs. At the beginning, you have only 1 ration, way less food available to refresh it, no leap of faith, freeze in the water etc., and it all seems geared towards generating the max. extra profit at that point in the game where most people are actually playing (considering a large % of gamers seem to quit games after the first few hours). I actually think this makes a lot of people quit Valhalla before the game even gets going, but I guess that's not important financially as they've already bought the game. I've never felt even remotely tempted to buy anything from the store, but I can see why people do and also how the games are designed to enocurage it.

• B00MSIE
    296 posts

@kreutzgang

I was so blinded by the return of social stealth (at start I didn’t notice how it was just added), beautiful scenery, better gameplay that I actually bought an armor before leaving Norway. 1 hour after that purchase I lost all my savegames for the first time. Then after 11 hours wandering around in Norway I got stuck in the campaign for the first time and had to start all over again. I immediately regretted my purchase.

Then they first real update came and they added the boosters. I had some other Ubi games on my wishlist, which I can assure you, I will not be buying before they are around 5 euro. Maybe not even then...

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

@b00msie I thought the social stealth was cool too, but ended up hardly ever using it. I lured drunks a few times before I was completely OP, and tried to blend with nuns a lot of times but it never actually worked. Then at some point I just didn't care if I was trying to stealth and got spotted, because it's just less hassle to steamroll everything.

• Yesin069
    548 posts

@b00msie

I can fully relate to this video and have the same opinion.

I fully understand why people love Odyssey but it broke AC lore to a degree that seemed non repairable at all. Darby McDevitt than stepped in to rescue some of this mess with Valhalla but I still haven't finished the game to tell if it worked. I don't expect that he is able to make that happen but i know he tried his best and is a very talented writer.

Just analyze the story of Revelations and how well he connected three characters of different time periods together in one room - or the story of Edward Kennway and how his character changes through the game in Black Flag - or the very well written monologue of Ezio in the short film Embers.

He tried to save the lore of AC and tried to make change Layla from a hated to at least a normal character. From what i've heard people say about modern day in Valhalla, he seemed to have achieved that. More people than ever said that modern day actually surprised them and wasn't that terrible as in all the games before.

He is the only author that still workd with Ubisoft and knows the best how to write stories and characters for those games. Sadly he didn't always work with Ubisoft and wasn't always that much involved. He just worked on Revelations, Embers (short film), Black Flag and Valhalla.

Many fans asked him why he doesn't have the position as the AC lore master in Ubisoft. Sadly he said that he doesn't want this position. I think he isn't planning on staying with Ubisoft and Valhalla maybe was his last attempt to save some essence of this franchise. I can't think of anybody else who could have done this. After Odyssey it is a miracle that his writing was able to get the oldest and strictest AC fans back to say some positive things about this game. Mostly regarding the connections to different AC titles and not the gameplay decisions.

PS: This gave me goosebumps when playing:

• iMBUE_
    3 posts

This content is garbage and you're objectively wrong for accepting it. Companies should be held liable for [censored] like this; people should lose their jobs, lawsuits filed. People should stop buying Ubi games. It's literally the only way that the suits at the top will get the message. I'm so damn tired of seeing people flock to Ubi's new releases like pigs to a trough. Have some self respect and stop purchasing these [censored] games until the quality of the product improves. Get your [censored] together, Ubisoft.

• hroozenbeek
    1024 posts

@imbue_ Well, pigs are known to be very intelligent animals, so I won't feel offended.

• Rottendog87
    4 posts

well what's highly repeatable with river raids? what i am suppose to do after fully upgraded Jomsviking Hall, and got the all cosmetics for ship and tattoos? atleast ubisoft could give us a new gear set. not a recolored one. or new models just for store? only challenging thing with river raids is completing raids without crash.. Origins was good, Odyssey was great but Valhalla is nowhere close to them.

• JCar4327
    606 posts

@rottendog87 The size of the map for River Raids causes one to expect there will be more to come, probably a time-gated weekly new quest. But, yeah not very repeatable at the moment, though they are a much better way for earning silver, after finishing the game, than running around killing stuff.

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

@imbue_ okay so Valhalla is a bit of a mess and the River Raids suck, but on the grand scale of things Ubisoft games are not actually worse than most others, and better than a lot. I got my money's worth out of every one I bought except Unity, including Valhalla. The real issue is that they invest so much effort in trying to get people to buy crap from the Helix store, and in the case of Valhalla specifically, that it's just not designed in the way they market it. It's basically a linear game stuffed into an open world, which is in turn stuffed with grindy crap in lieu of things that actually make an open world fun, and has zero replayability or anything motivating players to keep playing once they finished the story. That wouldn't matter if it was marketed as a game you play for the story, but it's marketed as a game one can keep playing. That said, it's definitely madder to moan on a ubisoft forum about games you do not buy than to buy them and then moan, and no one's gonna stop buying Ubi games cos you compared them to pigs on the forum, lol.

• WhoCares78
    112 posts

@kreutzgang Exactly. I’ve played nearly all of Ubisoft’s games, except the online multiplayer ones. And every game had its bugs and hiccups at first. But those were usually fixed quick enough and then I thoroughly enjoyed them. I can’t say that for other publishers. I’ve never felt ripped off by the Ubi, as I’ve put a couple hundred hours into each game. Valhalla is a mess right now in a lot of ways, but I’m sure that eventually things will be fixed. Unfortunately their dedication to the helix store and other forms of microtransactions in their other games isn’t going to end anytime soon. It’s just too profitable.

• Yesin069
    548 posts

@kreutzgang

Great post!

I love AC since day one (and have a lot of fun with Valhalla) and if i criticise something, it just means that i care about the franchise. It still has so much potential and could visit any setting possible. Ubisoft should just focus on the things AC did right and made AC unique. Those things should be build on. There is no need in trying to copy other big games and force microtransactions. I now in the times we live in there is no way that AC will totally get rid of them.

I would have no problem with microtransactions if there werent XP boosters (because they influence the balancing of the main game) and too many gear sets that come out faster than actual free content. Why Ubisoft decided to release new gear sets every 2 weeks in the Animus Shop? Now they switched to every 3 weeks but this is still too much. A new microtransaction every month should have been enough because they look so fantasy-like that nobody who likes immersion would buy them. Sadly the last gear sets from the animus shop arent fantasy-styled anymore and would be great in the main game. They are also just armor from the main game with different colours (like the upcoming raven gear).

The Animus Shop should also just be accessible from the main menu and not always on the right top of any menu. The Reda and Opal stuff should also go away because this is just a tactic to get some of us into buying some of this stuff. I know some of you like the possibility to buy this stuff for Opals from time to time but knowing how the marketing works, tis is just a shady business practic that slowly tries to make us comfortable with microtransactions. I dont want to see any of this stuff in the main game. Everyone who would like to buy stuff from this shop is able to, but keep all this stuff miles away from the main game interface.

• xrayspex_73
    139 posts

@asgardian02

Odyssey certainly has more/better repeatable content... The river raids are pretty meh... I want more replayable content on the main map...

• forcefrank
    91 posts

@asgardian02 So, I hate not being able to complete new activities and I love Valhalla so much. I decided to go back into the river raids to see if there was anything new. I did 7 more raids last night over 3 hours or so. In-between doing the raids I was trying to figure out how to increase the new raid settlement buildings, so I managed to do that. No matter what raid I go to, it's the same layout, confirmed from my initial river raiding on the day of the release. This is very frustrating. To make matters worse it seems I only get to fight 1 or 2 of the enemy before my team takes care of them and I locate the chest. Hell, sometimes I get the notice that the raid is over the second the chest is opened!

Before I waste anymore of my time, is it like this for the other river's/quests that need to be completed? If so I'll just move on to one of my other games until the paid DLC's come out.

• AlphaGoose46219
    155 posts
    This post is deleted!
  • Asgardian02
    Original poster 1932 posts

@forcefrank

Its all exactly the same.

There is just 1 big fort thats different, because there you will face a mini boss. The kicker is if you return here later, the boss will never respawn and that fort doesnt hold any supply chests either.
    So after having killed that mini boss there is absolutely no reason to ever return there. So much wasted potential.

Upgrading that jomsvikinghall serves absolutely no purpose other then giving you something to grind for. There are no side quests unlocked once reach the max lvl of the hall. No new activities either once you have done everything.
    The worst of it all is that the forts that hold the most supply chests are furthermost away from the starting point. I guess they really wanted to frustrate us with this mode.

I certainly wont be playing the DLC on release, ill wait for a very good discount.

• xrayspex_73
    139 posts

@yesin069

Wow. That video is terrible. Clearly the dude just LOVES Ezio. Putting Syndicate that low is a travesty.

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics