Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• DaelosTheCat
    Original poster 167 posts

I played Valhalla a little recently and I noticed how when an enemy attacks, their attack indication rune / flash thingie goes off way too soon. All my years of gaming have taught me to hit block the moment I see flash. But in Valhalla, the flash occurs at the beginning of telegraphed hit animation. So pressing block button to parry an attack does nothing. Is this intended? If so, this sucks.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• OrcBeard92
    160 posts

@daelosthecat The timing is a little tricky to master, but the 'rune' warning is more there to let you know it's coming. The parry window is literally right as they're about to make contact with you, so just try to pay attention to their wind-up. They're normally fairly obvious with it and the latest patch seems to have made some more finicky enemies more obvious with this.

On keyboard I tap Q right as they're about to hit me and it works every time. You can even do this multiple times if you're quick enough with some enemies that do chained 'rune' attacks. Of course this might be trickier on controller. Once you get a feel for it it will become more satisfying.

• axlslak23
    100 posts

Combat is broken. And Ubisoft doesn't know how to fix it. After all, its them that broke it in the first place.

I'll just say one thing. Me with a dagger, a NPC with a heavy weapon. And he attacks me faster. HOW is that possible?

Ofc the NPC attacks with orange aura, which is unblockable. And he doesn't seem to have ANY limit on special attacks. We players do.

Not to mention those dagger fighters NPCs... that always have adrenaline and stamina to attack you. instantly. And the staff ones. And the iron shield ones. Or those with those big heavy shield.

I'll tell you what. At my level, after 300 hours, level 500 something... I don't even bother. I just spam attack and I simply stopped caring. There is nothing to master. They just messed it up. Putting stamina on hitting your opponent and putting stamina on running and putting stamina on sliding around might be a good thing for a multiplayer game. Maybe. But it's certainly an idiotic idea to do that in a single player game just to increase difficulty. I don't know what they were thinking of. But this is crap. NPC and players do not abide by the same rules. And the only thing they thought of to make it difficult is to make a cheating AI. Infinite stamina. Infinite adrenaline. Infinite specials. And if you played river raids you will see what heightened senses looks like in NPCs. You just pop up for a fraction of a second miles away and there they come... all of them. Doesn't matter. They can't hurt me; I just need to press R1 for 2000 times and it will eventually be over. Great game ubisoft.

• show_stoppa
    57 posts

@daelosthecat

The rune is to highlight an UNBLOCKABLE attack which MUST be dodged.

You can do 'perfect dodges' and 'perfect parries', but have to eye ball or anticipate the attacks, and the window for them decreases as the difficulty increases.

P.S: Saw someone in the comment sections say the 'combat is broken'. I mean seriously mate, how is that even remotely related to the asked question. It definitely seems like it is 'fashionable' on this forum to just bash the game. Even the OP made the original post with 'all may life ...' stuff just some they could muster some support to bash the game for something which they misunderstood.

• XX-Artorias-XX
    92 posts

@show_stoppa combat is broken, yes,and i say why.

Animation : animal and zelots overall, have broken animation. They don't have an animation that connect one moves to another moves, they just pass from a "stun" animation to a "hit" animation withouth passing trought an animation where change body position, charge moves weapon to hit, just you see enemy in the "passive position" and after 1 second in an active posotion.
    And, often they have a garbage trackin , during their animation of an attack can litterally do 180 degree and follow you that are mooving.

And some enemy has a "sliding" animation on the ground,they don't run or have a movemen because use leg to move,just "slide" on the ground for 3 meters and dodge or make an attack like was on ice.

HITBOX. worst problem.
    80% of enemy has hitbox that are too much big and not sincronized with weapon and animation.

Look at zelot with shield: their attack with sword can damage you ( or you can see parry effect) even befor weapon is near you.

Or enemy with bow, when try to hit you if near, do damage before touch you.

For this reason combat is broken, and ubi never wants to do a better work on this, just do useless tattooo, cosmetics,store staff.

• longjohn119
    774 posts

@daelosthecat I think part of the problem is your perspective is screwed up ..... With every version of AC they keep moving the camera further and further back ..... Play Origins for a few minutes, then switch to Odyssey and then to Valhalla and you'll see what I mean about the change in perspective. Since the camera is so far back and you seem so tiny it's harder to see them telegraph their moves ..... It's almost an isometric perspective rather than 3rd person

• XX-Artorias-XX
    92 posts

@longjohn119 yeah, another problem if you want to fight eith precision.

Camera are too far and not centered, you can't see well the range of a weapon or the right position of enemy during the animation of attack.

Suggested Topics