ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• BruceHillRacing
    Original poster 41 posts

Its literally night and day. River Raids is complete for me so now I have nothing to do again (3 days after a content update, 210 hours logged) I decided to reinstall Odyssey....

Wow, I actually couldn't believe how much smother and more fluid Odyssey is. How much better the combat is and just how much more there is to do and in general how much better it all just feels.

I simply do not understand how you move from 1 game on to the next and make the next worse. I appreciate Odyssey has had more updates but I don't recall ever being bored in it. When I logged in I continued a previous save and instantly had tons to do, because there is actual end game content and actual repeatable things to do.

Lets not forget I also restarted the game and kept all my skills and level. Why game+ has not been added here is beyond me.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• ElMadre1
    93 posts

After I got Valhalla to Platinum (if not for Milk of Humankind), I immediately platinumed Origin in a few weeks, and now I'm a few days into Odyssey. This should keep me occupied (hopefully) until Valhalla gets properly fixed. It definitely feels more challenging so far with the combat.

• Quor321
    232 posts

@brucehillracing Valhalla is definitely far from perfect, but also far from complete. Odyssey is a complete game. I agree atm Odyssey is more enjoyable overall. The potential is there for Valhalla so I still hold hope that in the end it will be great like Odyssey.

• Freestepper
    161 posts

I'll be honest. After playing Valhalla, i found out that i don't like Ashraf Ismail's style. It's kinda same as Origins with Norse skin. Same running animation style, same gear style, the character feels heavy, etc... After i completed Valhalla, i started Odyssey again and once the game loaded the world with my character staring into the sea, it felt better already. The character in Odyssey is more swift, faster. The world is better, you feel more freedom. Valhalla feels like part of the England, in Odyssey, you have whole Greece with sea, islands, etc... And i don't even miss the lack of decapitations in combat.

People says that Odyssey is too repetitive. I understand that. If you want to do everything in that game, you go from one question mark to another. You clear one fort, then go clear another. But it doesn't feel repetitive to me. It's always fun to clear forts to me. People says that you are getting too many gear in Odyssey. True, but you can actually create unique built with it and you have more variations in skins. The only let down to this is that you kinda have to stop at blacksmith some time to time and dismantle/sell so many gear you collected. Maybe if Ubisoft made some system that would do it faster, it would solve the problem.

I play Odyssey at highest (nightmare) difficulty. Never played at lower difficulty. And i like the challenge. When you alert whole fort plus multiple mercenaries and they are all on you, then you have to think about what skills to use and in which order to either beat them all or run away and hide. Otherwise, you get two hit and you're dead.
    I play at highest difficulty Valhalla too, but it's extremely easy. Like so easy that i sometime have to check if i really play at highest difficulty, if the game somehow didn't reset difficulty for me. Nope, always at highest difficulty, always easy as hell. I don't need to play stealthy in Valhalla, i don't need the social stealth, i can just enter the red area and alert everyone and i'll just own them all like nothing. Maybe it's intentional, as Vikings was raiders and so they probably had always combat advantage, so Ubi kinda wanted create this feeling in Valhalla.

As for stealth, everybody was complaining that Odyssey don't have hidden blade. And when they announced that Valhalla will have it, i was afraid it will be those boring stealth kill animations again with just stab in the back and that's all. And they are. It's all the same animation always. Look at Odyssey's kill animations. Way more fun. Except maybe for 2 or three animations that feels kinda too long and your char moves in too wide radius during that, which could get you spotted in some situations. But other than that, i have more fun stealth killing enemies in Odyssey. And if you play on nightmare difficulty, you kinda have to go stealth, or there is high risk of dying. You don't have to go stealth in Valhalla even on highest difficulty, as it's still pretty easy. Sometimes there are those main story cut scenes about preparation for a siege and the characters are acting as if it was such a big deal that it needs such careful preparations, etc. I always think "omg, just let me into that stupid castle, i'll do it alone".

But Valhalla is still good game. It just needs more work. I believe Ubi will add NG+ later as they did with Odyssey.

• longjohn119
    1040 posts
    Its literally night and day. River Raids is complete for me so now I have nothing to do again (3 days after a content update, 210 hours logged) I decided to reinstall Odyssey....

Wow, I actually couldn't believe how much smother and more fluid Odyssey is. How much better the combat is and just how much more there is to do and in general how much better it all just feels.

I simply do not understand how you move from 1 game on to the next and make the next worse. I appreciate Odyssey has had more updates but I don't recall ever being bored in it. When I logged in I continued a previous save and instantly had tons to do, because there is actual end game content and actual repeatable things to do.

Lets not forget I also restarted the game and kept all my skills and level. Why game+ has not been added here is beyond me.

Way ahead of you on that ..... In fact I'm recording my playthrough and documenting all the Ostraka Clues, Ostraka Solutions, Artemis Beast kills, Cultist Kills and Mercenary Kills with timestamps to aid people new to the game .... It's originally a project I had planned for Valhalla but it's just too buggy and after a couple of months I got tired of waiting so I decided to do it with Odyssey .... If you follow the basic order of how I'm going through the quests and constantly going after Cultists as soon as they appear and are at my level I guarantee you'll have no problem staying leveled up while only doing side missions that lead to things like exposing new Cultists or getting you close to some of the Ostraka clues .... Also since I level up so well I do Kythera Island before I do the Quests in Pephka and Messara and that opens up some new dialog about a Cultist from a couple of NPCs (Arsenios and Leandros) in Pephka that you otherwise don't get

If anyone is interested you can find the playlist here .... It's a non-monetized channel so I don't get anything out of it other than satisfaction of helping people enjoy the game

• longjohn119
    1040 posts

@freestepper Ever try running assassinations in Odyssey? Just before you get to the NPC you trigger it and you throw it into their back or chest and as you run by you reach around and pull it through .... Made me never want to have a hidden blade again because it's so much more satisfying ..... A great way to practice is doing an "Athens Wall Run" because they don't go into alert mode unless they see you assassinate someone else which can net you a bunch of loot plus it helps upgrade your "Adrenaline on Assassination Kill" engraving and another engraving that based on archer kills

Going in

And coming out

• Freestepper
    161 posts

@longjohn119 Yes, i know running assassination. It's extremely cool, unlike the running assassination in Valhalla where it feels slow, heavy and less dynamic. Trust me, i know Odyssey a lot. I played a lot of it and still do. I forgot to mention many other cool stuff about this game in my post. I like to build assassination style and doing running assassination a lot. Even on mercenaries. Also the corner assassinations. These are in Valhalla too, but unlike in Valhalla where you have only like two boring animations of it that are just stab with the hidden blade, the corner assassinations in Odyssey are way more fun.

By the way, i asked you a question about the hair mod under your first Odyssey video on youtube. Didn't want to ask here, as i didn't wanna go of topic.

• longjohn119
    1040 posts

@freestepper I left a reply for you, if you have any other questions just ask there

• Groener_BDF
    2 posts

I couldn't agree more with the OP.

Combat in Odyssey was fun, there were so many fun ways to build-out your character, whether it be heavy use of adrenaline skills or stealthy assassination builds, combat was always fluid and fun. In Valhalla combat, even on the highest difficulty = equip 2 spears and mash the light attack button = totally the opposite of fun.

Even the ranged combat in Valhalla is dumbed down. In Odyssey, I would regularly switch between light/hunter/predator bows depending on the situation, in Valhalla I went all the way through the campaign with just the starter hunter bow, there's no reason at all to do otherwise.

• davidv81
    67 posts

@groener_bdf No different kinds of bows at Odyssey, that was in Origins.

In Odyssey is just one kind of bow, but you can do the predator arrow thing, the multiple arrow, etc...

• longjohn119
    1040 posts

@davidv81 That's what made Odyssey better than both Origins and Valhalla ..... One bow with multiple abilities that do everything the bows did in Origins did and even more ..... It made for fluid combat

Another problem with Valhalla is they have the camera so damned far back that they even have to use a zoom effect with a regular bow so the camera is constantly zooming in and out which isn't very realistic. I'm not a big fan of that which is why I never used the predator ability in Odyssey because I could get the same effect and more with Devastating Shot without the camera zoom affect which isn't very realistic and downright annoying if you are forced into close range combat but at least with Odyssey you could easily switch back to the normal non-zooming ability on the fly without breaking immersion ..... Bows in Valhalla just aren't very immersive at all because they are so clunky and menu driven plus the Aim Assist is virtually non-existent still after 3 months

• Max18400
    411 posts

@quor321 with the greatest of respect, the excuse that Vahalla is unfinished in not a good excuse for it's many issues and problems.
    If a game is unfinished, it should not have been released. It is as simple as that. Any future content should be used to enhance a FINISHED product. You wouldn't by a car with only 1 wheel would you? Why would you endorse and justify an, as you have said, unfinished game.
    Odyssey, for all its faults, was a polished game on launch. Minus the odd bug, the game felt finished. All the extra features added after built on and improved what was already there. In Vahalla they're still trying to fix bugs, finish the story, add in new features, add microtransacions when the game feels shallow and incomplete, with so many design flaws not being fixed I in favour of a s**t store armour.

• Asgardian02
    1938 posts

@longjohn119

i dont play ranged, but i felt it was weird for players who actually play ranged that you cant swap bows easily and why even have 3 different sort of bows in the 1st place.

• Asgardian02
    1938 posts

@max18400

also Ubisoft never does seem to do alpha or beta testing.
    If you look at other companies, most them do severally alpha and beta testing before releasing a game.

Also instead of further finishing and completing the failed RR, they will add yet another gamemode to the game with the next free content update,
    I dont get they keep adding stuff when everything thats already in the game isnt even working in the 1st place.

• Freestepper
    161 posts
    @max18400

Well, their are beta testing this game right now. Look, we have forum where people posts their feedback and bugs, so devs may know what to fix and improve. The only difference is that you have to pay for it 😄

• Asgardian02
    1938 posts

@freestepper

hahaha indeed, but if we were truly beta testing they would at least respond better no, and take our feedback to heart, no such thing here unfortuantly.

• longjohn119
    1040 posts
    @max18400

If you look at other companies, most them do severally alpha and beta testing before releasing a game.

Also instead of further finishing and completing the failed RR, they will add yet another gamemode to the game with the next free content update,
    I dont get they keep adding stuff when everything thats already in the game isnt even working in the 1st place.

The reason pretty much no AAA developer does beta testing anymore is because people simply cannot be trusted to not leak it on YouTube ..... They have enough problems with premature leaks even with no beta testing .......

People looking for their 15 minutes of fame ruined it for everyone which is why I've always been against leaking, it's just not ethical especially if you sign a NDA and it harms consumers as well as developers ...... I was a beta tester for Papyrus Design Group for their NASCAR Racing series from 1997-2003 as well as IndyCar II and Grand Prix Legends and I took the NDA I signed seriously ....

• Asgardian02
    1938 posts

@longjohn119

so why is Blizzard still doing beta testing??

• JCar4327
    701 posts

@longjohn119 What setting do you have the aim assist on? I can kill a moving rabbit or squirrel and half the time the reticle isn't even red when I release the shot. I have my aim assist set on full. I was playing with it on the default, which seems to be partial, and missed probably more than I hit.

• longjohn119
    1040 posts

@jcar4327 I've tried all the settings and couldn't notice any difference until 1.1.1 and then I could get it to work with some animals but not at all with NPCs but after 1.1.2 it wasn't really working well with animals either again .... If you go and play Odyssey you'll really notice then just how broken it really is ... It's night and day

Here I am playing on Hard with Heavy scaling and you can pick about any video from the list to see how well the bows work for me in Odyssey ... This playthrough is over 90% finished and in the descriptions you can find timestamps for every cultist kill, mercenary kill and all the Ostraka clues and solutions .... Cultist kills are also listed in the title
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkdqp16ufvSmNh-rghHLyvuedc0NIWM0e

Suggested Topics