Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Hophi86
    Original poster 11 posts

Seriously, Eivor's underwear covers up a large part of her upper body so you can't even see what the tattoos look like. Feels like a bit of a ripoff especially considering Ubisoft are selling tattoos for actual money.

I'm still pretty early in the game. Are there any armour you unlock that at least as her back uncovered?

I read in a previous thread that an early version of the game had Eivor topless. Is this true and in that case when did they remove that feature? I know there's still a nudity filter option in the settings.

And honestly, Eivor seems like the kind of person who wouldn't care who see her breasts if she had a kick-[censored] (and expensive) tattoo to show off.

So please Ubisoft either add some armour that doesn't cover as much of her skin or return (?) the topless option. We are all adults here.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Kormac67
    725 posts

@gloomseeker Purely visual mods like "braless" should have no influence on your saves.
    But since they patch game files you should always back these up, and restore them before a patch launches. Afterwards you can reapply them.

• Hophi86
    Original poster 11 posts

Thanks for the answers! Sadly I'm playing on Series X so I can't use mods. It really sucks that you can't at least see the full back tattoo. Hopefully Ubisoft will add an armour skin with an uncovered back.

How about the thing I mentioned with early versions of Valhalla having a topless Eivor? Has anyone else heard about this?

I found the post where I first read about it. Apparently @iamklark played the game at launch and for the first hours Eivor was topless when they tried out a tattoo. I don't know if they played on console or not, or if they're still active here but if they are it would be nice to hear more. Or maybe there's someone else who had the same experience at launch?

Anyway, if there was indeed an option for Eivor to show her entire upper body including tattoos in an early version, it's really crappy of Ubisoft to remove it. Like I said, it's a game for adults made in 2020. Do they seriously think anyone would complain about exposed nipples?

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

@hophi86 My Eivor is male and the only way to show off the tattoos is to hide the chest armor. It looks better than most of the armour, but the pants he has on are hideous.

• JCar4327
    634 posts

@gloomseeker I don't know, LOL. Odyssey had a giant [censored] in it; and if you climbed up the Zeus statue and got near it then the character would say something like, "Maybe I shouldn't climb on this".

• Hophi86
    Original poster 11 posts

@gloomseeker Yeah, the nudity/violence hypocrisy really is dumb. Still that feels like more of an American problem and Ubisoft is still a French company. And it's not like there aren't other games with nudity nowadays. Off the top of my head, there's Witcher 3, Cyberpunk, Conan Exiles and like you said Origins (and of course the previously mentioned Zeus', ahem, "rocky outcropping"). Besides there's the nudity filter in the options menu (which doesn't seem to do much), for anyone offended by it.

On the topic of toplessness in the early version of the game, I actually tried uninstalling and reinstalling version 1.0 that was on my pre-ordered Ultimate edition disc while having the Ethernet cable unplugged. Stupidly enough, you still had to connect to the Internet to start the game which sort of defeats the purpose of disc-based games. Still I managed to stop it from updating and start 1.0.

Sadly there was no toplessness neither in the inventory or at the tattoo shop, so either that other user misremembered or played on another console. The version I played was the Xbox One on my Series X. Apparently even though it says both Xbox One and Series X on the cover, the disc only includes the One version and to play the Series X version you have to download the 60 GB digital version. That takes over 90 minutes even at 100 Mbit per second...

Again, I really hope Ubisoft adds some new backless armour or costumes or makes Eivor's underwear smaller, because like I said the tattoos feel like a ripoff for anyone using the real Eivor. Made worse of course by Ubisoft wanting us to pay real money for them...

• Hophi86
    Original poster 11 posts

As a small postscript to my previous post, I actually found one interesting difference between 1.0 and the latest version regarding the underwear. In the current version Eivor stands around normally when in her underwear but in 1.0 she had a special animation where she's hugging herself trying to keep warm. The way she was animated made it seem like she was also covering her chest, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was left from an earlier topless versions if there indeed was one. Especially since they removed the animation.

Again, if that was the case, please Ubisoft, put that function back in the game. If nothing else, you'll probably sell more tattoos in the shop.

Anyhow, thanks for the answers and discussion, people!

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

@gloomseeker I believe it's the English-speaking countries, specifically USA and UK that are really uptight about nudity and the birds and the bees. In the 80's there were magazines for teenagers in Germany full of articles about safe hanky-panky and explicit nudity, while in the UK songs were banned from the radio for being remotely explicit. Excuse my language, trying to bypass the filters so people know what I'm talking about lol.

• Kormac67
    725 posts

@gloomseeker Well, topless Eivor is actually in the game files with nipple textures and all. So they were toying with the option at least. Doesn't look that great though.

• Quor321
    232 posts

@hophi86 lol, plenty of people walking around IRL with chest and or back tattoos and are not topless. Why do you think they got them?

• Hophi86
    Original poster 11 posts

@kormac67 So that proves they were going for a topless Eivor but chickened out. Thanks for the confirmation! That is just an infuriatingly crappy move by Ubisoft.

And to think it's still hidden in the code and the only way to see it is by playing a modded version on PC. Out of curiosity, to those playing with the mod: have you tried using tattoos? I'm guessing that chest tattoos might look wonky in some cases but it must be nice to see the full back ink. Some of those designs look great.

Honestly, the more I think about it the more [censored] off I become. Ubisoft needs to change this, and show Eivor's full upper body. It's not like it's about sex (Eivor is probably the least sexualised 25 year old woman in gaming history), it's that those who use male "Eivor" gets content the rest of us don't.

Damn it Ubisoft, fix this!

• Hophi86
    Original poster 11 posts

@gloomseeker Thanks for all your help, gloomseeker! Really appreciate it!

Interesting. I thought the chest tattoo would look weirder but it looks good. I wonder if they used the hidden data files for Eivor's upper body already in the game when they made the mod.

• Kormac67
    725 posts

@hophi86 All the mod does is making the underwear invisible.

• Hophi86
    Original poster 11 posts

@Gloomseeker @Kormac67
    Thanks for answering again! Now the nudity filter in the options makes much more sense, since it barely affects anything at all in the current version. If Eivor were supposed to be topless, an option to turn it off seems much more reasonable.

• Kormac67
    725 posts

@gloomseeker I wouldn't have her run around in a bra in snowy areas either, makes no sense to me. 🙂
    In Odyssey I have an extra loadout for diving (with the trident and 100% melee res so the sharks can bite their teeth out), and I use the bikini transmog for it which fits well for it.

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

@gloomseeker @Kormac67 haha nifty idea. I always shot them from land/ a boat.

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

@gloomseeker Aha! Another thing I haven't done. I tried it with a boat with a merc on and couldn't catch up with it, so thought it was impossible xD

• hroozenbeek
    1024 posts

I fully agree that it's weird that Valhalla pays so much attention to the tattoos, while most of them are normally invisible. For me, however, it would feel strange in the context of the game to have Eivor (male or female) running around naked or in their underwear. Maybe a fist fighting mode like the one in Syndicate (Fight Club) can be added to have a legitimate reason to show off our tattoos? (We have the one fight club in Valhalla, but I believe Eivor fights fully clothed there, unlike the opponents.)

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@hroozenbeek

When i was playing the game back in december i was actually hiding helmet, chest and cloack to show the tats.
    Also because the armor in the game looks really bad, especially those oversized shoulders.

With the tats i at least felt somewhat like a viking.

all in all the game is poorly designed, this is just another matter where it shows.

• Kormac67
    725 posts

@hroozenbeek Yeah, I hid her chest piece and bow for the Yule brawls so she matched her opponents better.

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics