ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Groener_BDF
    Original poster 2 posts

I bought Valhalla with great expectations, having sunk hundreds of hours into Odyssey and it's DLCs, and enjoyed every minute. Compared to Odyssey, Valhalla is just a soulless slog. I forced myself to play until the end of the "story" but I've no motivation to complete the Order assassinations or the world quests, particularly the god awful anomalies. Whoever thought it was a good idea to put platform puzzle sections in a game with such an awful parkour system needs to be blood eagled.

In Odyssey, the Order was pivotal to Kassandra and Alexios's story. I wanted to hunt down every last one of them for what they had done to Alexios. In Valhalla the Order just doesn't fit. Eivor has no interest in the Assasins or the Order and by extension neither do I as the player. It's just been shoehorned in to drive the modern-day story, which I for one wish they would just drop and make decent, coherent action RPGs set in a historical setting.

The characters in Valhalla are like kleenex, you use them for a couple of hours then throw them away, the only character that I found remotely interesting was Ivar. Contrast that to Odyssey. I cared deeply about Barnabus and Phoebe and loved bumping into Socrates and Alkibiades, even the characters in some of the side quests were fleshed out better than most of the characters in Valhalla, the "Cyclops" quest had me close to tears!

The decision to strip out most of the loot from the game was also a questionable one. I literally spent hours in Odyssey creating different builds, you could totally change the playstyle just by swapping out skills and gear. In Valhalla I rarely if ever used adrenaline skills, there is simply no need, once you have 2 spears nothing in the game can touch you. And why are spears the most OP weapons in a game about Vikings anyway?

Kinda wishing I hadn't stumped up for the season pass on this one, unless the DLCs radically change the gameplay I can't see me bothering with them. Anyway, I was so disappointed with this game I just had to vent somewhere, and these forums seemed to be as good a place as any. As with anything gaming related YMMV and if you think this is the best AC game ever I'm happy for you, I really am.

Peace out

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Karloz1995
    268 posts

@groener_bdf aparently singapur ins working on next title

• TORFINR
    382 posts

@groener_bdf "Soulless" exactly the word that comes to mind when I think about Valhalla. In Origins, and then in Odyssey, the RPG elements were getting stronger, features (interesting ones) were added, customization options were more present, we all thought that it will be even better in Valhalla... but no: they stripped Origins/Odyssey from half of the RPG elements and customization options, they made a big but useless skill tree crowned with a childish mastery system on the top. All characters are the same, overpowered wannabe vikings jumping in uninteresting battles like kungfu pandas.
    At this point I'm not even sure if I'll play the DLC, the core of the game is so broken, I dont see how they can correct it. I was naive to think that the RR would have changed it. We have an empty England, in a few days from now most of the players will have empty and useless RR, in a few months it will be an empty Ireland and later on an empty Normandy.
    Valhalla is a fast food wannabe RPG. A shame.

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

@groener_bdf I'd have been less harsh as I did enjoy the game overall, but unfortunately I agree with everything you said, down to Ivarr being the best character. Also, if Singapore are doing the next one, it's a hard pass from me, since if I recall they did the anomalies, so I shudder at the thought of an AC game entirely filled with that kind of thing, the point of which completely evades me. Why the heck do I have to jump around some irritating laser crap where I miss where I'm pointing at, at least 60% of the time? The puzzle aspect I could handle, even the moving stuff, although it's frankly stupid, but those red beams can go straight to Helheim. And as you said, the parkour is already dreadful without you having to get up to shenanigans like that. Valhalla is like a sequel to Origins, all progress made in Odyssey is axed, and while the world was more alive in Origins, it also had vast expanses of nothingness, where you really wonder why they'd bother putting that in an open world game. And I don't recall Origins brimming with MMO-style grinding.

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

@gloomseeker The feathers, sea shanties etc. were as bad imo and I never bothered with them unless I came across them accidentally 😄 I was so glad they got rid of those tedious activities in Odyssey. It's also mind-blowing to me they brought back quicktime events like in AC3. I thought button mashing your controller into oblivion was a thing of the past, probably not in the name of the environment, but I'm sure nature will thank us for not trashing our controller every other game xD

• BruceHillRacing
    41 posts

@groener_bdf

Wholeheartedly agree.
    Such a wasted opportunity, they have a semi decent back story and just completely wasted all and any replayability.
    Jomsviking are useless.
    Nothing significant respawns (surely the monasteries and castles would replenish the wealth), what happened to loot drops.
    I've killed over 7000 NPCs and not found any Armour or weapons, its borderline hysterical that every single soldier has a 1 handed sword yet there are none for us in the game, I have Mjolnir, Excalibur and Medusas Shield though 😕
    They have introduced Store based Items that are beyond ridiculous. I get the whole Asgard and Jotenheim thing, but leave those items there. I do not need to see Sauron from LOTR in my ship crew.
    River Raids...….[censored]. I'm no coder but I literally could have done a better job. Its frankly poorly copy and pasted content at best. But I'm guessing the person that did it couldn't figure out the horse and raven part so just left them out.
    NPCs don't fight back, Why have we not got the NPCs from Odyssey, where hitting a Civilian would get you into a world of trouble, now all we get is "You will be kicked out of the Animus if you kill civilians". Laziest bit of coding I have ever seen in my life, and if they want to say its a computer programme and needs to be accurate, what about the major major historical inaccuracies of this entire game. Again I have Mjolnir......!!

£90 I spent on this game based off what Odyssey produced, I feel like I've been robbed this time round. I don't see how it can be fixed, the spine of it is just wrong.

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

@gloomseeker I know right? I admit I did everything I could, so excluding several world events due to bugs, the last anomalies and drinking games, because I hate stuff like that and I don't play games to torture myself. The platforming in Fenyx is bad enough, but at least you actually land where you are pointing.

I did like the dice games as a change of pace, but only ever did 1 at a time, or max 2 if I lost. I found that none of the boosters were remotely useful except the Thor one though, which is the first one we get I think? At least there are a limited number, same goes for flyting. If they'd kept other things equally sporadic, we probably wouldn't have hated them either, but the game is so littered with some of the side activities, you end up becoming a groan made flesh every time you encounter one after about half way through.

• TORFINR
    382 posts
    I don't see how it can be fixed

That's exactly what worries me the most. The core of the game, it's backbone, is poor and full of elements that dont need to be modified but totally changed. And we all know they wont do that.
    When I said previously that Valhalla is a "fast food RPG" I meant precisely that: every single activity of the game, and the last in date is the RR, are one time shots: you play them once, and then they disappear from the map forever. The more you advance in the game, the smaller the game becomes; and there are no way to make it alive again (like in Odyssey for instance). With a huge map of England and now the RR, we still play a poor fishing and hunting simulator at the end. And to be totally honest, even during the "leveling" I rarely had the feeling of immersion: I didnt feel "like a viking" while running behind hidden keys, stacking stone or aligning glyphs... some activity of that kind, ok, it could have been interesting (like in Origins/Odysseys tombs, why not) but in Valhalla it's 80% of the game. A game they sold us with tons of #PlayAViking #FeelLikeAViking #BeAViking crap.

• TORFINR
    382 posts
    I can't blame Valhalla for the story content because the actual story is pretty decent, it's all the filler stuff that I object to.

Just as you I usually judge that kind of games based of what I have to do when the main story arc is played. In Odyssey the content is still huge. Quests like the Lost Tales, side quests, random quests, contracts and primes, bosses, hidden members of the cult, special ships, and tons of masteries to level.
    In Valhalla it's mysteries and such with content/theme usually unrelated to vikings, and then .... the intergalactic void.

• TORFINR
    382 posts

@gloomseeker Concerning the baseball guy, a friend of mine told me that I overreacted with him, but for me too it was really an immersion breaker.
    #FeelLikeAViking. Pfff. Lies.

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

@gloomseeker There are also children with American accents. That really wound me up.

• martygod12
    247 posts

Ahh another post about this, add them to the pile of those on which Ubisoft takes a huge crap and its not even responding there. Its nice to see that other people have similar opinion on the game as me, but honestly seeing how Ubisoft is treating a game even after lauch and how they completely ignore any feedback I dont think this game can be turned around. Its a shame really, so much wasted potential there.

Suggested Topics