Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• MLCMAUSER
    Original poster 1 posts

Why is the main guy African American? I don't get it. Were African American's Vikings a thousand years ago? Did I miss something from history?

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• InDebt08
    8 posts

@mlcmauser How can be African American when there is no America?

• Max18400
    408 posts

@mlcmauser it's becoming a thing in any historic game, film or programming. People of different races and colours were rare, but they would've existed, mostly as traders. Not as viking themselves. And chances are, people would be fascinated by a person of a different colour (no racism or discrimination based off the sources). They're rewriting history to make it more racially inclusive. Look at that Netflix show Bridgerton as another example? Adding in people of race to avoid any accusations of racism.

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

@mlcmauser IDK why you think he's specifically and African American. He's African with a Nordic accent if I recall, probably the offspring of traders or slaves.

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

@max18400 That show is obvious fantasy though, it's not even trying to be historically accurate. I'm not an expert, but they also seem to have mixed and matched fashions from various periods too. Outlander might be more up your alley if you are into stuff like that, as it also mixes fantasy in but is actually trying to be historically accurate, at least as far as I can tell xD

• Max18400
    408 posts

@kreutzgang oh god no, neither show is my cup of tea. I've only seen trailers haha. My point was in the majority of historical based stuff (anacrosims are always present) but they're making them a lot more ethically diverse to make them more inclusive, and this isn't always a good thing. Like with Vahalla, it just doesn't work, it's quite jarring seeing it and it does feel shoehorned in.

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

@max18400 Yeah I get you. It can be well done, but often it does come across as somewhat naff, half-hearted virtue signalling. I definitely would exempt Bridgerton though, as you'd have to be quite mad to think it was anything other than complete fantasy after having watched it. 😄

• WhoCares78
    112 posts

@indebt08 He might have meant African Vinlandian. 😂

• Max18400
    408 posts

@kreutzgang oh yeah definitely, but it's official genre is historic romance, but obviously history is not the forefront of the programme's design, whereas with assassin's creed, it is

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

@max18400 I read it was a ... um Bodice Ripper? The genre, lol.

• WhoCares78
    112 posts

@gloomseeker That baseball player was one of many world mysteries that had me questioning if they even care about the franchise anymore. I don’t think “Everything is permitted” is supposed to apply to any anachronistic and immersion breaking quest they decide to throw our way.

• Max18400
    408 posts

@whocares78 it was a REALLY weird moment. I shot through as quickly as possible just to get through it

• WhoCares78
    112 posts

@max18400 Yeah it was. So did I. Like ripping the bandaid off, I just wanted it to be done and forgotten.

• Max18400
    408 posts

@gloomseeker it was so weird...

• evilhippo
    79 posts

@mlcmauser I think you means sub-Saharan African, not African American. And yes, that also makes no sense as there is a very close to zero chance of encountering even a single sub-Saharan African in 9th Century England. Vikings did visit North Africa in this period, but there was only a small chance of encountering Sub-Saharan Africans even there (Berbers, Visigoths, Greeks, Arabs sure) 😂

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics