ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• TheChuckIII
    Original poster 12 posts

After the creators said Valhalla will have "no magic" as they want to keep it all as technology, I was so incredibly frustrated. Even moreso when "fans" started complaining that it had TOO many mythical aspects.

The whole notion of magic and technology being different is just ridiculous. 300 years ago, a concoction that would prevent diseases would have been called a "potion," now it's called a vaccine.
    200 years ago, a car would have been considered literal witchcraft.

Magic is just science we don't yet understand!

Valhalla and the series as a whole should incorporate MORE "magic." The entire premise of the ISU people is their technology is so advanced we considered it magic yet the series seems to not want to go all in on the magic aspect.

Enchanting is a real thing that we can see today.

https://www.google.com/search?q=speaking+to+plants+helps+them+grow&oq=speaking+to+plants+&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l2j0i22i30l5j0i390l2.5028j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Through studies we've seen performed today, speaking to plants can genuinely help them grow. The vibrational frequency and pattern has a real world impact, this is exactly what enchanting is!

Not only that, potions are created today in laboratories and called "vaccines." Using a "potion" that effects certain enemies and not others is EXACTLY what modern vaccines and shots do. They attack certain cells while leaving others in tact.

Spells would just be another form of enchantment, certain vibrations and frequencies in precise patterns are already shown to impact the world, there is NO reason they shouldn't be in these games (Valhalla especially).

I was just so frustrated watching "fans" meltdown because of the "fantasy" elements being included. It's ridiculous because quite literally every "fantastical" thing has a real world anchorpoint.

https://www.wired.com/2015/02/absurd-creature-of-the-week-scaly-foot-snail/: (https://wired.com/2015/02/absurd-creature-of-the-week-scaly-foot-snail)

We've recently found snails who have iron shells and can withstand up to 700 DEGREES!

We already have spells, enchantments, potions and exotic armors in the real world which is why magic is JUST science we don't fully understand.

All of this to say, Valhalla needs more mythical aspects and the franchise as a whole needs to show more technological marvels created by the ISU.

For such an advanced society, they sure don't seem all that interesting.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Asgardian02
    1938 posts

@thechuckiii

Good point

• Max18400
    411 posts

Mmm not necessarily. Stuff as as medicine etc thus exist and we're referred to as such (ancient Greek and roman texts on the human body were still being used as a medical manual). Also, like having some is fine, but over doing it is a bit much. Remember the isu tech was thousands of years before when any of the games are set. You have to keep the games grounded in reality to an extent. Like yeah, add in some fancy isu tech as part of the story (like all previous assassin's creed games...) but don't add in mystical, magic aspects for the sake of it. It is still a game grounded (or supposed to be) in historical reality.

• AlphaGoose46219
    158 posts

@max18400 Some magic tricks can give a creative addition, but i'm not waiting for magic staffs, exploding fireballs / lighting bursts etc... 😲 😲

• WhoCares78
    112 posts

@thechuckiii To be fair there are dozens of magical fantasy games out there already. They don’t need to continue turning AC into a clone of those. The games were supposed to be about reliving the memories of past Assassins, which means that if the technology didn’t exist in their time then they didn’t get to use it. Doesn’t matter if it’s magic or undiscovered science. It had to stay true to that assassins time period and not create some kind of uchronia.

That being said it is Ubisoft after all. They care more about money and MTX’s than anything else. So you can count on them to continue to bring in more and more magic. They’ll probably run off the few long time original fans they had left, but that’s okay. Because those fantasy type of games are easier to stuff full of MTX magical armors and weapons.

• WendysBrioche
    11 posts

Uh *Sigh*

I don't even really want to post here, and I'm not saying you don't deserve to see this kind of Assassin's Creed game, if Ubisoft wants to make this that's fine. But let me be honest about my tastes, this is PRECISELY what I don't like about the new Assassin's Creed games.

It's historical fiction, meant to represent events from real world history, with fictional twists only in the sense of narrative changes.

Anything fantasy-ish, whether it be monsters, ridiculous Sauron armor sets, armor sets that just look cheesy and childish with overexaggerated fantasy-esque artistic touches and styles, I'll just say it now, I don't think ANY of those things belong in Assassin's Creed.

This isn't about what is scientifically true in terms of how far you can bend the narrative to include things like magic and still be consistent with the lore. This is about a conflict of aesthetics, those that are consistent with the older games, and those that are aligned with this new direction, and the gradual, possible conversion of Assassin's Creed into full blown fantasy rpg, like you're asking for.

How upset would fantasy fans be if, let's say Elder Scrolls (a series I'm a huge fan of, I'm a hardcore Elder Scrolls fan), removed magic and swords, removed dragons, and converted the entire game into a historical Renaissance simulator with guns and colonial dudes where the days of magic are over and there's no monsters or beast races anymore. That would never happen because Bethesda respects the integrity of their lore and art style in The Elder Scrolls, something that is successively getting taken away gradually with every next major release from Assassin's Creed.

If you want monsters and magic, I suggest playing a fantasy series, or Ubisoft stop making Assassin's Creed altogether and make that King Arthur inspired fantasy game that was in talks instead, I'd rather enjoy a triple a fantasy game by Ubisoft than watch Assassin's Creed keep going down this path of lore-inflation.

I like fantasy games, but that's not what Assassin's Creed is. If Red Dead turned into a werewolf slayer I would absolutely FLIP.

Fantasy fans, please leave historical fiction settings alone and allow other genres of games and other settings and styles to exist as they are without converting everything into fantasy games like Assassin's Creed is. I'm sick of every game gradually turning into the same game. The industry is better if games are diverse, unique and differentiate from each other enough to provide us with different and unique experiences moving from game to game. It gives us different art styles, settings, places, and experiences to enjoy, rather than everything become generic. Which Assassin's Creed HAS and it's bad. Some people actually want to play historical fiction.

Sorry, but I wholly disagree.

I don't mean to go off on you like this but at least consider the existence out there of people who loved this series, and who are disappointed in this direction, watching a franchise they love keep getting consistently drained into this thing they really don't like and really don't want to be a part of anymore because it's no longer aligned with practically any of the things they used to like about it in the old days. This stuff means something to those people, when there is a myriad of other magic-wielding fantasy games out there to play and only a handful of historical fiction games out there. It's just Assassin's Creed, Red Dead and Ghost of Tsushima and I literally can't think of anything else.

In all likelihood though, Ubisoft will probably give you what you want. But the day magic spells are put into Assassin's Creed will be the final straw for me and I'm done with this series- I really don't want it. I miss our old games, and am sick of this genre-identity crisis Assassin's Creed suffers from nowadays worse than literally any game franchise that has ever existed. It's getting bad and worse.

• Max18400
    411 posts

@wendysbrioche I actually love this post haha

• Asgardian02
    1938 posts

@wendysbrioche

and you still like all the isu stuff...

• hroozenbeek
    1024 posts

@asgardian02 The Isu "stuff" has been an integral part of AC since the beginning. It's about the balance. Up to Syndicate it was 80-90% historical re-interpretation grounded in reality, although based on the fictional Templar-Assassin controversy, and 10-20% Isu stuff (pieces of Eden, vaults, sages, etc.). Since Origins this has changed drastically. Combined with the greater emphasis on open combat instead of assassination and stealth, the games feel much less AC. That's not to say we can't like the new games as they are, but many of us miss the old AC setting, which you can't find (as @WendysBrioche has rightly pointed out) in almost any other game. Fenyx fighting a Cyclops in Immortals makes more sense than Kassandra/Alexios fighting one in Odyssey.

That said, I actually like the way Valhalla has integrated the Asgard/Jotunheim story arcs into the game. In those settings the mythological element fits right in.

Suggested Topics