Continue your odyssey

Welcome to discussion

Quick Suggestions

Hello! These new forums are an open beta and we welcome your feedback in this section.
  • Rincewind2981
    Original poster 5 posts

I realize nobody is listening at Ubisoft, if the past few months have shown us anything, our complaints and our hopes increasingly fall upon deaf ears, and so, I must admit, I am broken, I cannot continue to hold out any hope for this game. I will delete Valhalla from my drive today, but before I go, I feel as if I have earned the right to scream into the void, so to speak, do feel free to move along if rehashing old complaints and bitter recriminations don't appeal to you.

I bought Valhalla pre scaling, in fact, it was the reason I was willing to buy it in the first place. The ability to turn off scaling or being able to tailor it to an individual's style of play is crucial to the RPG experience. To change this a month after release, with no warning, and with no option to avoid it is, in my opinion, unconscionable. Ubisoft either sacrificed a plurality of their audience to the whims of another, or felt that they should control how people play. With more than one interview from people working on the game telling us there would be no scaling, I felt lied to, and betrayed.

Yet still I soldiered on into this beautiful, albeit in the same vein sometimes boring world that was laid out before me. I suffered with the lackluster parkour mechanic, and succeeded in getting to England, and began to subsequently ignore the main story, and explore the map. This lasted till about my tenth treasure chest that I had to search down a key for, or find a hidden entrance for, that only rewarded me with cheap resources that I did not need. This whole endeavor felt like busywork that's only purpose must be to extend the life of a shallow game, with only enough substance for a short playthrough, not the deep exploration of a true RPG. I was disappointed, and frustrated.

But, I persevered. Maybe the exploration section was busywork, surely the main quest would breathe new life into this game. I would be a Viking hero, and settle in England. This lasted until The Absence of an Ealdorman, which bugged out on me, and stalled my progress for a couple months, and while this quest has been fixed for me and some others, this game is inundated with a plethora more, some game breaking, some just irritating, but all unacceptable, this long after release. I am infuriated, and disgusted.

Still, my better nature, and my forgiving attitude prevailed. I will seek out other things to do while this game is fixed, I assured myself that such a large game must have something for me to bide my time with, so I once again began to explore, plodding around, doing lackluster world events, and searching for varying amounts of dross in overly hidden chests. At this point I came upon a Zealot, and proceeded to be thoroughly trounced, having to retreat to safety. Fear not, I thought, I am playing a game where stealth is an option, I will sneak up and take the upper hand. Little did I know that Ubi had once again been misleading. To my surprise, I could not stealth attack this Zealot, there was no option to do so, there must be some mistake. I paused my game, and checked my menu options, guaranteed assassination was on, and the menu option clearly stated that ALL enemies were subject to it. Is a Zealot not an enemy, are they really my friend? No, just something Ubisoft felt I should work harder at. I felt patronized, and belittled.

At this point, I stopped playing Valhalla, it has sat on my drive for weeks, untouched. Today it will leave, and, while I may pay attention to updates from Ubisoft, I will no longer be tempted unless serious change is made. An RPG is about player choice, to rob us of these things lessens your products, and in my opinion, lessens you as a company. We want to play your games, but on our terms, in the world you created. If you keep altering it while we are trying to find our way, or everytime we use our ingenuity to play differently, you will only alienate your broader audience, and limit yourselves to your core base. If that is your plan, go forth, but if you want to bring your products to the masses, I urge you to treat us like the adults we are, and not the children you seem to want us to be.

Goodbye Ubisoft, it's been a great run.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• IrishGamer50789
    23 posts

@rincewind2981 they dont give two [censored].. 1month and counting no missing fish fix . Also no content.. how the hell is this game meant to last us until 2022?? Live service my [censored].

• TheCosmicBob
    73 posts

I'm about ready to bail on the game myself. I "finished" it and didn't have any game breaking bugs on PS4, except for at the very beginning with Valka and they fixed that eventually - not quick enough IMO though.

I hear you on the bad treasures and the gyrations you have to go through to get them. Keys here, exploding jars there, dropping loads of crap to break open a cache. And you usually just get a bunch of leather and some silver. How thrilling.

I dislike level scaling, it was my biggest complaint on Odyssey (why wasn't it completely optional?). I didn't notice that they turned it on for Valhalla, I thought it was gone. I did notice that the River Riad consistently had a recommended level of 5 levels above whatever my current level was.

As for Zealots, I haven't been paying attention to them, but I usually can kill them, but as you say, not with assassination, but just brute force.

I got Immortals Fenyx Rising yesterday, I think I'm going to move to that for a while and just keep track of what Valhalla is up to.

• Tyrhydion
    3 posts

@rincewind2981 I am also considering already to delete it, along with Watch Dogs: Legion. These games are so boring, they put me to sleep. What is even more depressing, are the bugs and glitches. I feel like AC hasn't improved at all since AC III. There was a glimmer of hope with AC:Unity which allowed for seamless parcouring and had stunning graphics, but that is all gone since Origins for the sake of hyperextensive landscapes with gazillions of loot chests. The games are way too long, too boring, exhausting, and graphically underwhelming. I kinda enjoyed Odyssee, but Valhalla is zero fun for me.

Watch Dogs: Legion is the first game I didn't bother to finish, AC: Valhalla might be the first that I am gonna delete within 2 weeks after I bought it and not coming even close to finishing it.

• BobNewton2
    13 posts

@rincewind2981 I concur with your statement! I have a PS 4 Pro and this game has been the glitchiest AC game I have. Always used a PC but tried this on PS, what a mistake. Had major problems with Reda until a couple of weeks ago. Can't get last codex from Winchestre so that can't be completed. Now on RR's, I can't find the St. Georges helm, I have checked every location on River Dee twice, no helm unless it is hiding in a chest which says it is rations. I saved Asgard arc for last and am about to complete that. When I do, I will start a new game and see if the problems still exist. I if they do, I will be trashing this game to all and think twice about any future AC games, plus not spend extra to buy early and wait to see what the community as a whole says about the new game. I worry about how screwed up Farcry 6 will be.

• gearsmonger
    48 posts

@rincewind2981 I sympathize with you. This game is the single most bug-ridden AC game I've played. It's also the most on-the-rails RPG I've played in my life (and simultaneously the most boring). In my case, I was expecting this and waited for it to go on sale before buying, not realizing just how bad it really is. I've spent a triple digit number of hours in the game hoping to stumble across hidden gems of story telling and action. There are some gems in this game, and they are beautiful, but too few and far between.

That said, Ubisoft couldn't care less about improving this game because they've already got our money and have already made the bulk of their sales on it.

Unfortunately for Ubisoft, I won't be purchasing another AC game (barring a major overhaul to their game design and business model, but let's face it, that won't happen). Valhalla was the nail in the coffin- the worst combination of political pandering, bugs and lack of authentic and exciting content.

RIP Assassins Creed, you had a good run.

• Rincewind2981
    Original poster 5 posts

A little upset, mildly repulsed by this board at the moment. I looked through the posts on this board, and after checking my notifications could not find my post on the board. I looked through several days, and could only find my post by searching for it, with the supplied function. So I would not run into this by just casually reading the boards. I am not one to accuse without at least an inkling of suspicion, so maybe this is a glitch, maybe my double checking missed my post 3 times, many things are possible, but it feels like my rant was conveniently hidden. So, I hope you all will forgive me if I reply to myself, just to verify the veracity of my claim, or to justify my own quasi paranoia.

• AlphaGoose46219
    124 posts

@rincewind2981 Yeah, RPG kiss my [censored], the assassin fans displeased what a result!
    UBIsoft really lucked out with the cyberpunk release, they got all the negative press attention.
    EA gives Bioware the chance to go back to there roots after almost destroying them, hope UBI will have the same wake-up call.

• kreutzgang
    600 posts

@rincewind2981 I read your rant yesterday.

Suggested topics

Community details

Users
Topics