Continue your odyssey

Welcome to discussion

Welcome to discussion

Quick Suggestions

Hello! These new forums are an open beta and we welcome your feedback in this section.
  • TheCosmicBob
    Original poster 73 posts

I finished the Hamtunscire arc and got the trophy. The game said that i've finished the main story, so I guess I did. It seemed very anticlimactic to me, though the funeral was nice.

I do have things left to do, but I do not expect to get to 100%, or even close. I'd like to get my settlement to 6, but it may be more trouble than it's worth.

Fortunately Immortal Fenyx Rising got here yesterday, so I may just move on to that.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• TheCosmicBob
    Original poster 73 posts

And, I have officially moved on to Fenyx. I laughed more in the first 10 minutes of that game then is most of the time I've played AC:V. To me, it is more fun and much more fantastical (obviously). I'm just enjoying it more. And no glitches or bugs so far.

The mechanics aren't much better than AC:V, but a video game is a video game. It might not be for everyone, but I am liking it.

And I may spend my first Ubisoft credits on the "Misthios braid" hairstyle! I certainly would have gotten that for Eivor if there was anything like it.

• gearsmonger
    48 posts

@thecosmicbob AC: Valhalla isn't a comedy, so...?

That said, it would have been nice to at least get a credit roll to mark the campaign end.

• TheCosmicBob
    Original poster 73 posts

@gearsmonger True. But neither was Odyssey and I found Kassandra to have an great sense of humor. Whereas Eivor has very little. Though when she's on fire and screams "That's new leather!" it's pretty funny, as if that's the only thing she's worried about is her leather.

Kassandra was just overall a better character for me and her sense of humor helped a lot.

• gearsmonger
    48 posts

@thecosmicbob Different strokes for different folks, I guess. It didn't ruin the game for me, but Alexios as a main character surrounded by death, with a tragic back story, warranted a little more serious tone than what we got. I think Eivor reflected that better- sure he has his moments where he's lighthearted, but he felt a little more grounded to me overall. I think the tone of Valhalla was more similar to Origins, which I appreciated.

Granted, Valhalla is a little more serious in general- Odyssey is a little more fast and loose in most respects.

If you prefer less serious games, more power to you, I just felt Eivor's personality reflected his experiences a little better, similarly to how Bayek was designed.

• Max18400
    397 posts

I also felt the same. The game's conclusion was very anti climatic. I'm a history buff so I know what happens almost immediately after the games closing events, which is a massive battle. If they chose to end it there rather than where they did, it would have ended on a mark darker, more sombre note and it would have been a time where your character essentially lost.
    Instead, they ended it as Eivor 'winning'. Yeah I found odyssey's endings far more satisfying, both from a gameplay and narrative perspective. I didn't even need the credits to roll and it seemed like a natural end. In Vahalla, it's just flat, anti-climatic and unfaithful to what actually happened.

• gearsmonger
    48 posts
    In Vahalla, it's just flat, anti-climatic and unfaithful to what actually happened.

This pretty well summarizes the entirety of Valhalla. For every one historically accurate portrayal, there are 5 inaccurate spins on reality. I really wish they would have either gone full Skyrim or full historical fiction. The chimera we got just ended up being a bland mix of could-have-beens.

• Max18400
    397 posts

@gearsmonger could not agree more. I was playing the witcher 3 the other day and ended up laughing as they have a better portrayal of "viking"culture with the skellige Isles, than an actual game... About vikings.

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

I definitely preferred Alexios to Eivor for having a sense of humour. Seems a lot of AC fans prefer broody main characters though. As for Fenyx, it's definitely objectively a better game than Valhalla. I experienced no bugs and only one crash and one freeze, also the controls are considerably better imo as when I died falling - which was often - I never felt it was the game being stupid, I knew it was cos I messed up. Having said that, after finishing it, I would not play it again, as I'm just not keen on too much of the content gameplay-wise, and it's the kind of stuff I will suffer through only once - LOL.

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

@gearsmonger I disagree. People often deal with tragedy by acting light-hearted.

• gearsmonger
    48 posts

@kreutzgang I'm not claiming people don't deal with tragedy in that manner, not sure why you're making that argument. It's disingenuous to suggest, however, that its portrayal with Alexios does not directly correlates to a significantly light tone, which is juxtaposed with the heavy subject matter of the game.

• hroozenbeek
    1024 posts

@max18400 To be fair, Odyssey's ending was also not completely telling the full story of the Peloponnesian War, if I remember correctly. From a historical point of view, they ended both games in an unresolved situation, probably to allow the player to continue playing in the same historical setting. And to be honest the unveiling of the final antagonist was almost as anticlimactic in Odyssey as in Valhalla. Yet despite all of this, I fully agree that Valhalla's endings felt more anticlimactic than Odyssey's.

• hroozenbeek
    1024 posts

@kreutzgang What I don't really understand in Immortals is that they have difficulty settings for combat and hints for the puzzles, which I don't need, but the 'acrobatics' especially in the vaults are fixed and sometimes really, really hard for someone like me (you know, mostly pushing the wrong buttons at the wrong time). I would have liked more checkpoints in the vaults and a way to turn of those irritating laser beams in order to have a little bit more fun with the difficult parts.

• Max18400
    397 posts

@hroozenbeek odyssey's end felt more conclusive. Yeah, you're right they do leave it open ended, but after the battle of amphipolis, a peace agreement was signed between Athens and Sparta, so despite it not being mentioned, the game does end with the establishment of a status quo that at least lasted for a few years (I can't remember how long it lasts but I know it was a fairly long time). Yeah, you're right, the peloponnesian was was over until 404bce, but the game finished at a conclusive point in history. Vahalla literally finishes before the closing act with the battle of Edington which is seen as ght battle which saved wessex and stopped the vikings in their path and undid a lot of their conquests (establishment of the dane law)

• hroozenbeek
    1024 posts

@max18400 No doubt about that. The Siege of Paris brings us well beyond the battles of Chippenham and Edington, so I'm curious to see how Ubisoft will address the events in England.

• Max18400
    397 posts

@hroozenbeek I am too, especially as the siege of Paris is at least 7 years after Edington, and they have another dlc to fit in during that time in Ireland?

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

@hroozenbeek Tell me about it omg. I actually cranked it down to story mode trying to make that stuff easier, but once I realised it did nothing, turned it back up. The laser beams and those annoying stone rams drove me insane. You can use that Athena's dash to get through lasers, but when airborne, that requires too many buttons in quick succession, so I still fail. 😄

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

@gearsmonger I didn't feel that way. They aren't jokey all the time, but at the same time they aren't permanently glum. I feel more irritated when the main characters are super serious basically all the time as it makes them unlikeable imo, but maybe assassins are party poopers, can't say I've ever met one.

• hroozenbeek
    1024 posts

@kreutzgang Almost every time, Athena's Dash goes in the wrong direction for me, and that is even without any other button combinations.

Yesterday I again cleared some vaults (with all treasure chests), so I'm slowly getting forward with those, but it takes a lot of trial and error. Although I don't think I'll be able to clear all vaults with all treasure chests, I hope to finish the 36 tasks of Hermes' board. I'm almost there!

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

@hroozenbeek Yes that happened to me too. I think you have to be actually moving in the required direction for it to do it properly. OFC if you are like me and epically fail at doing multiple things immediately after one another at the right time, you will end up walking into the lasers before activating it at least half the time, then if you are super lucky the rebirth feature will kick in and you'll respawn in the middle of the laser and die all over again. 😄

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics