Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• gearsmonger
    48 posts

@paddy234 Nothing realistic or historically accurate. Vikings are made out to be the good guys. You don't get to use any one handed swords. The majority of the story is absolutely boring, making political bonds with various English territories. It took me 120 hours to complete all the arcs and there are only three I even remember... and one of those was the Asgard arc. Then factor in all the bugs. Overall I hold Origins as the golden standard and Valhalla mostly falls short (although the exploration itself is nice). I recommend waiting for it to drop to $15.

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@gearsmonger

short answer, no. wait 6months and buy it on discount

• gearsmonger
    48 posts

@asgardian02 Correct. I got it for $35 and still feel I overpaid.

• AlphaGoose46219
    158 posts

@gearsmonger No, paid 119 euro, pre ordered ultimate, for all the beta testing/bug reporting / stress / waste of time i should sent them a bill.

• Max18400
    405 posts

Definitely not. If you found odyssey boring, this one will send you to sleep. Has some nice moments in, but the story is a painful slog (many of the compulsory quest arcs have nothing to do with the main narrative), historically it is the least accurate out of all the assassin's crews. So no. It's not worth the money

• SuchRiots
    6 posts

No. I put this game down faster than any other Creed game so far. I've stopped calling this Assassins creed because there haven't been assassins in it for several games now and that style of play is not rewarded in any real way. Ubisoft has definitely taken inspiration from Microsoft on how to release software. Just release your beta version into the wild and allow the customer base to debug it. We aren't talking minor bugs, but ones which prevent you from running the main story arc. Ones that prevent you from completing achievements. I expect bugs. But this goes beyond expectations, the sheer number of them preventing players from completing the main storyline are appalling. And, how many persist today. You have to wonder if they did any real beta testing before release. Heck, here we are months later and they just got fish to spawn along the coasts reliably last month and still don't have some fish in the game needed to complete the final fishing quest. They are just now fixing a key with a patch today that prevented you from completing achievements in Jotunheim (it would stay floating)... but they added more cats.

The first festival was a repeat of launch. Extremely buggy and not fun. I completed the festival in a few, painful, days of playing and got to deal with being drunk every time I fast traveled or logged in for a month after. River raids took no time to complete despite the massive list of bugs plaguing it as well. I didn't bother to keep going for all the cosmetics. I didn't bother to raid half the time. Just pulled my longship up (or ran along the shore fighting off aggressive bucks) nearby and ran in and killed everything myself then started the raid to open the chests. Haven't bothered to do another because the forts and settlements along the rivers are the same with a few exceptions.

They have watered the game mechanics down to a poor hack and slash system with little to no reward for playing an assassin style. Don't bother sneaking, just run into a castle with a ton of mobs and just fight your way out. Honestly, it isn't that hard if you are anywhere near close to power level of where you're at. They have all but killed the Templars vs Assassins theme which drove the early games and lent a unique element to them and enhanced the story. Honestly, the game has bored me a lot. Many of the Ubisoft Connect challenges center around items bugged in the game so you can't even complete those to maintain interest. Reda missions involve going to the exact same locations and killing the exact same group day after day, week after week. Don't bother trying to assassinate the target, just run in and kill the mobs confirm kill and walk away.

I really want to enjoy this game. I was late to the Assassins Creed series (Came in around Unity) and went back and played all of them. Loved the vast majority of them. I thought Origins was a neat spinoff but couldn't wait to get back to assassinating in a crowded city. Finding points of interest which you can go to and explore in game rather than taking a historical tour as an add on. The true Templar Antagonists made for great storytelling. Now we have Gods and Ancient Advanced, Alien Civilizations. The series used to be focused on storytelling and tactics. Now it is focused on being big and easy. I'll keep playing and hoping it gets better. But let's be honest. They are still working on what would have been, normally, bugs which stop a game from being released. It's at a state now, I'd feel better about purchasing it. I don't have a lot of hope for the upcoming DLC. I don't have a lot of hope they will fix the armor and weapons for the next game. Or that it will even be an "Assassins" Creed game. The whole series feels like it has lost direction. At first it was storyline and then gameplay. Just disappointed.

Ultimately, it's up to you if you want to spend money on it. It's still a fun game. The combat is easy, the finishing moves get repetitive quickly. If you disliked Odyssey, don't bother. They took what was going south in odyssey and pushed it more to the forefront.

• SuchRiots
    6 posts

I should point out one other thing... Finding the remnants of the Assassins Bureaus in Valhalla is the overall metaphor for this game. You are looking at how the mighty have fallen.

• FCI-DK
    4 posts

as other mention,, not worth it,, no fixes maed,, DLC takes WAY too long

• AlphaGoose46219
    158 posts

@paddy234 Odyssey was just way too cartoony for me,
    Compare with Valhalla, Odessey characters and even cities looked far more realistic!
    The cartoon look and movements from many characters are hilarious, one of the best characters for me Ubba looks like a fool most of the time.
    The world itself looks beautiful but the rest has jumped out of a bad drawn cartoon.

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@alphagoose46219

armor graphics are so bad in Valhalla, just boot up odyssey and see how fine and detailed the armor actually looked

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics