Continue your odyssey

Welcome to discussion

Quick Suggestions

Hello! These new forums are an open beta and we welcome your feedback in this section.
  • Asyncroon
    Original poster 14 posts

@wookapotomas Thanks!

Further:
    Up until this moment no reply or solution has been issued.

I'll keep you guys updated on this case

• Asyncroon
    Original poster 14 posts

@ubi-mark
    As mentioned by @Celestrike also, I feel more and more it is related to the fact that the game is trying to be launched by a controller or not.
    If someone who plays with an XBox (or any other bluetooth) controller directly connected to a PC has the same issues, please reply!!

• Ubi-Mark.
    Ubisoft Support Staff 435 posts

Hello @Asyncroon,

Thank you for your update! I'm not sure if it's related to the controller itself, but as soon as the team has an update on this, you will receive reply 🙂

If it's controller related, our team will also investigate it further 🙂

Official Response
  • dalmomendonca92
    2 posts

@asyncroon I'm having the same issue.

AC Valhalla works fine if I launch it from UPlay, but it doesn't recognize my PS5 or Xbox controller. This is an issue for me because I can't play the game very well using the mouse and keyboard (i.e., I'm not good at it).

For the past several months, the one workaround I've found was to add the game to Steam as a non-Steam game. Then I entered big picture mode with the PS5 controller connected. Then I launched AC Valhalla from Steam and the game recognized the controller as an input. This is the way I've been playing for several months. But it broke with the March update.

Now, when I follow the same steps, the game's logo appears in the center of the screen for a few seconds, and then it crashes.

If I follow the same steps with the Xbox controller, I get the same results. I always send the crash report, but I'm imagining nobody actually looks at these.

undefined

Note that if I'm in big picture mode in steam, and then I disconnect the controller (PS5 or Xbox), I can launch the game from Steam just fine. But at that point the game doesn't recognize my controller, even if I plug it in after it's launched successfully.

So I agree that there's something about having an external controller connected in big picture mode that causes the game to crash, and this was introduced with the v1.2 update. Until the game team/developers find a fix, is there a way to uninstall this latest update and just play the game on the previous version that used to work fine?

I see that Ubisoft is aware of this issue and has not yet prioritized it highly enough to get it fixed. I imagine it's because they believe (perhaps rightly so) that there aren't many people in my situation: really invested in playing this game on the PC but in need of a controller instead of using the keyboard and mouse.

On a personal note, this is particularly frustrating for me because I bought at $4k computer with the one and only purpose to play this game. Then I spent 177 hours on the game, and, in March, this broke and I can't finish it. So now I have an expensive machine collecting dust, and I feel disappointed that my experience doesn't seem important enough to merit a speedy fix (or workaround) to the bug introduced with the update.

@Ubi-Mark Thank you for following up on this issue. In addition to what you've already done, what can you do today to find alignment between our needs and Ubisoft's commitment to honoring the gaming experience for users like us?

• dalmomendonca92
    2 posts

Here's the launcher log errors for when I try to launch the game through steam in big picture mode with each controller.

launcher_log.txt                           

NB: this post was "flagged as spam by Akismet.com" incorrectly. This is making it more difficult to post more info here to troubleshoot.

• Asyncroon
    Original poster 14 posts

@dalmomendonca92 This is really recognisable. Like said, I've found the same issues when starting the game in big picture with a keyboard and when then switching to the controller the game doesn't recognise it.
    When starting big picture with the controller, I can try to launch the game but it immediatly fails when the loading screen with the green AC Valhalla logo is displayed.
    The CPU usage is normally very high for several seconds (like 10s) when loading the game with Ubisoft Connect or with Steam (with AC Valhalla added as non-steam game to my library), but when launching in big picture with the controller the CPU usage drops to 0% after just 5s or so.

• Semajaral_II
    3 posts

Please address this issue Ubisoft. This poster went through painstaking detail to outline the issue to you. This was working perfectly fine before the latest update. I am also experiencing this issue and have played the game fine for 20+ hours via steam link/controller prior to this update. I cannot even launch it now.

My issue manifests exactly as the original poster describes. I've added AC Valhalla to my Steam account as a non-steam game. I launch via controller in Big Picture mode, otherwise using a controller (e.g. using mouse mode via steam link) and the game will not launch. Ubisoft launcher appears briefly, followed by AC Valhalla launcher, then disappears. If I run the game directly via Ubisoft or if I click on the.exe directly in the folder it will launch properly. However, the controller input will NOT be recognized.

• Semajaral_II
    3 posts

@asyncroon Thank you for this post. You did a great job summing up the issues and even included excellent logs for them. I'm following the thread now as well as I am seeing the issue exactly as you described, and this is AFTER having played w/ a controller via Stream Link for easily 20+hours. Checked a few other Ubisoft titles I had installed as well and NONE have this issue. Clearly something broke w/ most recent update. Thanks again.

• Asyncroon
    Original poster 14 posts

Further update:

undefined

• Grimm_Play
    1 posts

same problem here. thanks for keeping us updated.

• Semajaral_II
    3 posts

Bumping to keep this alive

• Curranius
    4 posts

Amazed to see that this has not been fixed in a month.

• wOOKaPotomas
    5 posts

bump bump bump

• Asyncroon
    Original poster 14 posts

Small update from my side, no response from Ubisoft yet:
    undefined

• Curranius
    4 posts

I am pretty sure it's related to steam controller as well Assassin's Creed Valhalla Steam Controller Issues | Ubisoft Forums
    I am currently using GloSC as a third-party layer to run ACV from Steam with proper controller mapping. But this is just to cumbersome.

• Curranius
    4 posts

It is somehow related to controller input being hijacked through steam, because if i disconnect controller and launch game from steam - I am golden. If controller is turned on and I try to launch from Steam - game crashes.

• Asyncroon
    Original poster 14 posts

@curranius I'm using a Nintendo Switch Pro controller, so it is not only to the steam controller. It is every interface with any bleutooth controller as far as I know.
    If anyone can try with a Steamlink and and XBox controller then we can be sure it is for every bleutooth connected controller. I also want to know if you connect an XBox controller directly to a PC (with bleutooth) if it would generate the same issues, or that it is only when using a Steam Link

• wOOKaPotomas
    5 posts

@asyncroon I am using an xbox one controller with the wireless dongle attached to the steam link. I did try using the dongle directly on the PC and the same issue occurred. I tried without the dongle via bluetooth on BOTH PC and steam link and the same issue occurred.

• sherifdimples
    1 posts

@asyncroon been having the same issue for the past month. i use a ps4 wireless dualshock controller and the game crashes every single time without fail. just wish ubisoft would acknowledge this issue instead of pretending it doesn’t exist 😕

• Asyncroon
    Original poster 14 posts

@wookapotomas @sherifdimples Thanks for the replies and clarification guys!

Further "update" (if you can call the same answer again an update):
    undefined

Suggested topics

Community details

Users
Topics