Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Nimarus84
    Original poster 2 posts

Normally, I'd check Steam to see how players ranked it and read reviews there. Sadly, it seems Ubisoft doesn't want their product on Steam (likely due to how much of the sale that Steam keeps, which is understandable). I, like many people, like to make an informed decision before spending hard-earned money on any product. I made that mistake when I purchased Star Wars Battlefront (EA) because it said "Singleplayer" on the back of the case. In the years of Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, AC3, etc., I would have taken the risk and just purchased this game. Past Assassin's Creed titles earned praise from fans. However, with the reach of Microtransactions, I hesitate far more than I once did. The setting for this game interests me, but I fear the experience could possibly be ruined with "Buy Helix! Get 10% off on your first purchase! You NEED to get that rainbow unicorn skin for your horse!" I also hated the XP boosters as it made me question if the grind was natural or artificially twisted to "gently nudge" money from my pocket for helix points.

I'm mostly interested if this game is much like I heard people claim it was a year ago; A reskin of Odyssey. I'm also wondering how badly microtransactions will affect the gameplay. I'm wanting to get a glimpse of the past through the eyes of Vikings. Helix points are of no interest to me. Especially gameplay adjustments meant to steer players into spending more money to make the game fun again. I'm hoping it's no worse than Odyssey...but that's usually NOT the direction game developers take with these things.

Please, no "Fanboy charging in to defend the honor of Ubisoft" posts. Just an honest constructive criticism of this game on the good and bad.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• MissM16
    213 posts

I think the main issue with Valhalla is not so much the microtransactions but rather the excessive amount of bugs (I believe that's mostly due to Covid) since Origins (same studio) was much smoother and really felt like a finished game.

I don't know what platform you're on but if microtransactions are your main concern, I would suggest to play offline if you can. I have no willpower when it comes to mtx's so I know how you feel lol It's why I mainly play offline so I'm not even tempted.

If you don't have the option to play offline, fret not because in Valhalla all the outfits in the mtx store are ugly. I mean... really ugly. Shiny ugly. And glow-y ugly.

I also don't find Valhalla grindy at all. For comparison, I found Odyssey really grindy. I always ran out of upgrade materials and the mtx store just screamed at me to make it more bearable and enjoyable.

But not Valhalla. Their in-game upgrades make the outfits shiny and ugly as well so you'll wind up with a surplus of upgrade materials and in-game money with nothing to spend it on so your character doesn't look... ugly : /

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@amarth9284

Best to wait a year before you buy it.
    That way more bugs will be patched out.
    All the "content" and DLC's will have been released by then as well giving you a bigger game
    and you will get a good discount most likely

• O-E-Smith
    18 posts

@amarth9284 Okay. Firstly, you won't get an accurate view of the period through a Vikings eyes. It's so historically inaccurate. Everything from the demographics, armour, weapons, geography/environment, architecture & timeline/detail of political events are woefully inaccurate. Just thought I'd get that out of the way.

Moving on...

As for your concerns regarding microtransactions... I personally don't think it spoils the game as it's not done in an irritating or obstructive manner. Sure, you can buy extras but there's absolutely nothing stopping you from enjoying the game, acquiring powerful weapons & armour and levelling up your player without purchasing anything. In fact, depending on the difficulty you've set the game at, levelling up and progressing is quite easy (maybe too easy on normal difficulty).

There are neat pieces of gear that you can purchase with collectables you can find throughout the world called Opals (as in the semi-precious stone) which is basically the same as collecting/earning Orichalcum Ore that you use to buy gear & skins from the Oikos in Odyssey.

So, you can still enjoy the game because the precesnce of microtransactions are quite subtle in my opinion. The game is big enough to play without them although it could do with a greater variety of weapon & armour customization.

What should concern you when purchasing this game is the shocking amount of glitches, bugs & crashes. That's what ruins it.

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

@amarth9284 Valhalla is definitely *not* a reskin of Odyssey. It's more like a sequel to Origins, as if Odyssey never even existed. And while there's lots of stuff in the Helix store, it's easy to ignore it. I've never been tempted by the Helix store in any game. Also, Valhalla manages to be grindy without pushing you to buy xp packs, as xp is the reward you get for everything. Basically, everything besides the main plot can be called grindy.

• Nimarus84
    Original poster 2 posts

This is why I miss seeing this game on Steam. I would have been able to see VERY quickly that there are bugs galore, and a giant game-breaking bug that hasn't been patched for 4 months and counting. I get the feeling that they decided to just skip in-house testing and just used customers to find bugs for them for free.

Until the game-breaking bug related to "A Brewing Storm" is patched, Ubisoft won't see a penny from me.

• YazX_
    172 posts

me personally beat the game 3 times now on PC, its so good, if you follow the story and explore regions after playing the arc in that region, you will not hit any issue, probably few minor glitches here and there. the game is huge and massive.

odyssey and origins had better support in terms of fixing issues and free content, this one takes a while when releasing a patch , yah we all understand the situation and what COVID caused, for me its a kudos for the team to release a game with such a massive scale at this period of time.

• TheeMechanic
    2 posts

I consumed countless hours on the AC Series of games. I enjoyed every hundreds upon thousands of those hours, and the adventures provided. When the Tours were implemented, and with the praise of educational institutions it was a great altogether experience. When I found an Apple of Eden in Italy, I tracked its shipping process through the various locations and towns through customs entry points and it felt as though I have lived the experience, as when I emailed the merchant of whom i purchased it from, and he commented if I knew you were such a dedicated Assassino, I would have included some bonus items of interest. The games took me to places where I can only dream or imagine, an escape so to say. For the most part with the games I have played there was little in the way of bugs or glitches; until now with AC Valhalla. As with all Assassin games I like to open the world, and I will explore the whole map before getting to the main story. I seen there was elements from the different games over the years trying to be smoothly implemented into this one game. However, this is the first time I have been glitched out of progression within the game. So in my exploration to open the world I have been to this cave before, way before doing this particular mission. I tried the Sciropescire Arc, Bloody Path to Peace and when I try to rescue Ceolbert from the cave, a movable stone with the wood support around it is blocking my exit with a pack of wolves on the other side. The wolves would be no problem, but the movable rock blocking my exit cannot be moved as there is not enough space in-between the movable rock and the rock pass-hop over on the cave floor for you to actually face the movable rock to get the prompt (triangle) to move it. So after exploring Valhalla for 376 Hours 30 Minutes and 58 Seconds, I am stuck. Ubisoft please rework this mission, program that movable rock out of the equation as this particular movable rock has no other function. When I go into the cave to rescue Ceolbert my screen flickers fades out and I am standing in front of Ceolbert, so if I was suppose to travel through the cave to get here and move the movable rock to get in, it never happened, that is why it is still there blocking my exit. So if this movable rock has no other purpose can you please reprogram this adventure without the movable rock. Other than not being able to progress any farther, I really enjoyed playing Vahalla with its old style interactions and abilities. I will just not know how it ends.

• DV20Katana
    40 posts

I wait about 2 years and then get an Ubi game, it comes bug free and loaded with all the DLCs. So Im gonna wait for the ACV GOTY.

In no hurry cos I got so many games to play, just began Odyssey.

• Jakeypoo12345
    27 posts

@nimarus84 If you are looking for the classic assassins creed experience u might just go back and play one of the old ones because THIS IS ANOTHER RPG.

I for one like RPGs so these new games odyssey origins valhalla really doesnt bother me.

Playing through the actual game, questing, upgrading gear, building your settlement and killing the templars, ("Order of the Ancients" in this game) feels really satisfying. It does not feel grindy at all....... unless u want to 100% the game without online help but that doesn't count.

The story is engaging it might feel a little tiny bit slow about 75% through but immediately picks back up and is engaging again.... at least up to the point when u actually beat the games main story, then you will be saying to yourself "Now what!?"

End Game Content is really what this game is lacking. You will see videos on youtube explaining what odyssey did better than valhalla and let me save u the 15-30 minutes and tell u. Valhalla doesnt have the bounty system, or the endless mercanaries, ZEALOTS ARE NOT ENDLESS u can kill every single one of them, i think theres like 20 if im remebering correctly, or the conquest battles, or the turf wars (sparta/athens controlling a territory), u cannot kill civillians even tho u r a viking warrior.
    Honestly i dont think it would break the game if ubisoft brought all of those features into valhalla, hell it might even improve the game.

Overall its a good game, its not so much whats in the game that sucks its whats NOT in the game that sucks, features from previous titles was pruned for no reason at all, endgame is boring atm, TBH id wait a year from now before even bothering to play it, u might even have a better gaming experience than i did when i first started playing, which makes me a bit jealous.

• davidtsmith333
    42 posts

I'm enjoying it actually as I posted just before seeing this thread. Actually going to continue playing in a short while.

• Ken_Koerperich
    55 posts

Honest Review....

AC:Valhalla is plagued with Bugs, Glitches, Stutters, and IS NOT FACTUALLY ACCURATE ONE ounce...
    There are no 1 handed swords...
    Game is a grind...I know...41 hours in and still haven't reached "Power" 90...Yes, I've cleared everything up to this point...You need an XP boost...NO, I'm not paying for it....
    Story is very lack luster....
    Raiding is a JOKE...
    No "Stealth" unless you set it on "Noobie" settings...
    Combat flow is sucks...you spend more time hitting thin air as AI slides by you, or you slide by them...
    Every "Love/Nudity" scene there should have been in game....Gone....Why go sleep w/ a hottie, just to watch a building pass from day to night and back??? Where's the sex????

This game is a JOKE...Ubi screwed the pooch.

This is so far removed from what AC should have been. It's now a button masher, MTX game....

Moving on as soon as ANYTHING decent gets released....and trash binning this one...

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics