Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• ReaperClown
    1 posts

I'm not sure if this would help but I did some research and experimented with my character.
    It seems that this bug happens when you...

1.collect the opals
    2.die shortly after
    3.restart at the latest checkpoint (Before collecting opals)
    4.The opals are already in our inventory because I'm assuming its an universal currency but the map and icons are loaded when we didn't collect them yet.

so basically if you die after collecting opals but before an autosave beyond the collecting point the icons remain on map.

• hunter1043
    25 posts

@pordigy86

cheers, I was unaware a similar bug was already reported.

• MoonWraiven
    8 posts

As the title states. If you have previously looted an Opal in a previous save game, in the new game, the Opal icon is there and when you arrive at the destination, the Opal is not there. I understand it’s a one time loot in game, but if you can not loot it because you already have, the icon should no longer be showing on map.

• hunter1043
    25 posts

Can confirm everything said in this post as well as in Lunden per my post here.

• hunter1043
    25 posts

As far as I can tell, the save system only saves local information to the Player and not any world information; with the exception of like a list of chests opened, enemies killed, etc. I can make that inference because when you reload a save, runes will recycle in shops and on nearby enemies as well as broken doors respawning, among other things. So like I mentioned in my other thread, according to this evidence, logically when a game object like an opal is interacted with the Player four things should happen. The opal actor should be deleted from the world, which it is, and secondly the opal should be credited to the Player's inventory. Thirdly, the opal marker should be removed from the World Map and finally the game should trigger a save. If the Player dies or the game crashes during any of those stages then it seems like the stages following are not executed properly causing issues as outlined above. Lastly, I'll mention that these opal bugs can be separated into two categories. Post-Interacted bugs, and Non-Interacted bugs with the non-interacted being when the Player cannot physically interact with the opals due to them being floating in the sky (Snotinghamscire), under the ground, or on a shelf with bad collision as near Walden.

• JCar4327
    612 posts

@hunter1043 Yeah, there is no automatic save when picking up an opal. You can do a quick save, which is what I started doing. The main issue with the opals; aside from the four non-interacted as you call it, is that the markers remain on the map under certain circumstances, death before saving and reloading into a save prior to collecting the opal and the start of a fresh game. The start of a fresh game incurs all markers being reset with no ability to remove markers for the opals that have been picked up. You can remove all opal markers with the map filters, but this also removes all services markers.

They moved the opal filter in the map from the exploration category to the services category during the last patch, this was an improvement because it affects way less items on the map, but a better fix would have been to put the markers into a category by themselves.

• MoonWraiven
    8 posts

Same here. I started a new game and the icons are there but the item isn’t. I’m aware it’s once per account but if it can’t be looted again it needs to be removed from map once it’s not lootable any more.

• hunter1043
    25 posts

@jcar4327
    An autosave is triggered when an opal is picked up, at least on PC. I just confirmed this on my machine. Also, I'll point out what I said in my other thread which was that I observed that when an opal is deleted from the world it cannot be recovered from a past save as the saves do not keep track of those objects for some reason as far as I can infer from my own anecdotal evidence. The worst bug when it comes to the opals, at least to me, is when they are removed from the world, not removed from the map, and also not credited to the inventory; they just disappear and you could go back to earlier saves and it has also been retroactively removed there as well. It reminds me of another bug in Origins where the same thing could happen to the Isu Armor. Also, having them not reset completely after a new game is just cruel Ubisoft, geez. lol

• JCar4327
    612 posts

@hunter1043 Well they definitely didn't cause an auto save on Xbox because I have at least 10 markers in my first play through that are there due to dying and being loaded in to a save from before I picked them up, which was the most recent save on file.

• hunter1043
    25 posts
    This post is deleted!
  • hunter1043
    25 posts

@jcar4327
    Wow I think you might be right because even though the animation of the knot plays in the lower corner of the screen to indicate an autosave, it doesn't actually trigger a save. I just replicated the bug on a random opal in Snotinghamscire that was located above the Seer temple north of Hemthorpe.

Steps to Reproduce

1. Pick up any opal and wait for the save icon to appear and disappear.
    2. Quit to Title Screen.
    3. Click Continue in Main Menu.

Expected
    You should load the game where you picked up the opal, the opal should be gone from the world, the map marker for that opal should be gone from the map, and the Player should have been credited +1 opal in their inventory.

Actual Result
    You load the game at the location of your last autosave, be it a synchronization location or quest location or wherever the player manually last saved (whichever is latest). The opal map marker is still on the map and upon traveling to that location the opal is gone from the world and cannot be picked up again. The opal appears to be credited to the Player's inventory after further testing; which is somewhat of a relief for those worried about that.

Summary
    This seems to be purely a map marker persistence related issue.

• Neobs2k
    1 posts

I'm on XBOX Series S 1.0.4. I have been having problems picking them up. I go to where they should be and it's not there even though it is on the map. I have found saving, quitting the game and reloading clears the problem for a few hours.

• JCar4327
    612 posts

@neobs2k Yes, this is caused by your game losing connection to the Ubi servers. If you are not online the opals will not appear because then they are not able to track them on your account. Your method is the exact same I use because by restarting the game it resets the connection to the Ubi servers.

• Grand_310
    26 posts

i post same ss in another thread for snotinghamscire

Can't pick up an Opal in Snotinghamscire | Ubisoft Forums

• DutchDerq
    11 posts

@franks360 Very annoying, so I save my game every time right after I pick up an opal. Problem solved you think. No! Opal is in a restricted area where saves are not possible. Have to fight my way out and.... a miracle game freeze! (another really annoying mishap of this game) Only way out is to close and reopen the game. Result: stuck with another opal icon on my map. Please fix this.

• m1au
    48 posts

@hunter1043

Yep, it's the same if you die after picking up an opal on PC.
    On death screen if you choose 'load last autosave' (thats probably not the correct wording as I'm not playing in english) you don't end up starting again where you picked up the opal.
    I tested this by accident in Norway when finding the first opal on that massive mountain - took ages to get up there and than jumped to death just to climb up a second time and not being able to find the opal again lol (though the map marker is still there). At least I got the opal added to my inventory which was easy to track because it has been my first one.

• Calahrin
    2 posts

I havent found any opals. The markers are there but there isn't anything to collect. Frustrating!

I read that you can restart the game, but I all ready had to do that because I had the Valka bug and the Reindeer Antler bug. I dont want to restart the game every time there is a glitch otherwise I will never make it out of Fornburg!

Wish I hadn't purchased the game.

• JCar4327
    612 posts

@calahrin When people say restart the game they don't mean to delete and start over. What they mean is. save your game, quit the game, and restart the game, load back into your save and the opals should appear if you have not grabbed them previously.

• ScoynKholcreat
    2 posts

I started a new save file (not for opal reasons, but because of spoiler reasons), and all the opals in Rygjafylke are marked on the map, but I have 374 in my inventory that carried over from my previous save. I know all the ones in England are going to be there too and also unobtainable. Does anyone know if this will be in the next/a future patch?

• JCar4327
    612 posts

@scoynkholcreat They haven't really said much about it. You can get the markers off your map though. If you pull up the map and then the legend you can scroll down to services. If you click the button there it will remove the markers; the only downside to this is it also removes the services icons too, but they still show up on the compass when you are close. I usually turn the icons back on when I'm in a town or city to see what is there and then turn them back off.

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics