Continue your odyssey

Welcome to discussion

Quick Suggestions

Hello! These new forums are an open beta and we welcome your feedback in this section.
  • Darth_Yes
    Original poster 13 posts

I am experiencing issues with the textures in the game. They seem to be jumping randomly between high quality and low quality. It can be quite immersion breaking at times. Often, there is no pattern to this and it seems to happen to any texture randomly. I am running the game on ultra settings. I have also reinstalled the game and the issue appears to persist. 

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Ubi-Mark.
    Ubisoft Support Staff 533 posts

Hello @Darth_Yes

Thank you for bringing this to our attention!

I just checked your videos and while I didn't find the texture issue you mentioned, I believe it might be related to the light adjusting. Also, can you please confirm if you're able to notice the same sort of issues in darker areas or with other objects? Last, but not least, can you please provide us with a screenshot showing your Display Settings, so we can check how is your lightning set?

Many thanks and if you have any additional questions, please let us know.

Official Response
  • Darth_Yes
    Original poster 13 posts

Hi @Ubi-Mark, perhaps the videos weren't that clear. I have provided some screenshots here for you. If you could direct your attention to Eivors Shield for these first screenshots.

This first image shows the texture at full resolution. But as soon as the camera moves, or goes even slightly closer, further or way or slightly off centre a lower resolution pops in. You can actually see the texture pop in to the lower resolution texture. See the next image.
    undefined
    undefined

As you can see in this second picture, the texture has popped into a lower resolution.

• Darth_Yes
    Original poster 13 posts

In this set of images, if you could look a the pillar. See the next image.

undefined

And in this next image you can see it has jumped to a lower quality texture.
    undefined

• Hunterr12
    22 posts

Similar thing happened to me in Odyssey all the time, never was able to get it fixed. Became really noticeable in cutscenes with the armor constantly swapping details, as well as skin textures on faces changing. Messed with all options, repairs etc nothing fixed it. Valhalla also appears to have an even worse LOD system so that might be playing a factor as well for this game

• Ubi-Mark.

Hello Darth_Yes ,

Thank you for the update!

It is visible now, thank you! 🙂 I just tested it myself on my PC and I didn't experience this particular issue. Can you please share with us your full PC specs against the screenshot of your full graphics settings in-game, and your current GPU driver version? Additionally, can you please perform all the troubleshooting steps listed in this article? It will help you to eliminate any potential software conflicts.

@Hunterr12, sorry to hear that you are experiencing this as well. Can you please try the steps I provided above by any chance?

If you're still experiencing this issue after performing the steps I provided, please let us know and we will investigate it further for you. Much appreciated!

Official Response
  • Darth_Yes
    Original poster 13 posts

Hi @Ubi-Mark , thanks for getting back to me. Here is some screenshots of my in game graphics settings.

undefinedundefined

My PC Specs are:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz 
    GPU: NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2080ti
    16GB DDR4 RAM

• longjohn119
    431 posts

@darth_yes That looks like a lighting/illumination problem to me in the first picture ..... Second piture is either a lower texture or a high resolution texture getting blurred

I'd try turning off Depth of Field and motion blur and trying it again .....

• Ubi-Mark.

Hello @Darth_Yes

Thanks a lot for your screenshots! Can you please confirm if you're still experiencing this issue if you turn the Depth of Field off? It will help us to investigate it further for you! 🙂

Official Response
  • Darth_Yes
    Original poster 13 posts

Hey @Ubi-Mark and @longjohn119 yeah I initially thought that could have been the issue and disabled them. But I still experienced the same issue. I've just booted the game back up and disabled them again, but yeah the same thing is happening. Thanks for your suggestions though.

• Hunterr12
    22 posts

@Ubi-Mark I already went through the process with support back in Odyssey. Tried all the suggestions with nothing changing and it was left at waiting to hear back from the internal team before the ticket was closed.

• Hunterr12
    22 posts

@Darth_Yes @Ubi-Mark So I just tested this in Valhalla, since I had it in Odyssey. It is indeed still around in this game. It's def the texture setting that is screwed up, it's like the high setting is defaulting to some adaptive mode and constantly shifting from high to low. You can verify this by setting textures to low and you'll see the look of gear and such that it switches to.

Like Odyssey no combination of settings seems to fix the high textures bugging out. Tried resolution, lowering other settings and more. Even looked into nvidia control panel options and nothing there helps either. I've also already done the suggested steps that tech support always gives as well.

• Hunterr12
    22 posts

@Ubi-Mark Ok so I played around a bit more with settings and even tried to take a few ingame shots to show. Essentially the textures when on high keep switching to the medium/low quality. This is especially noticeable in cutscenes. I then set it to medium and there was no switching of textures in cutscenes or when in game playing, or checking in photo mode when moving the camera around the character.

Here are a few shots of the game when running with high textures. Look closely at the metal engravings on the chest plate and notice the quality changing. The lower textured one is what is always showing when in cutscenes as well.

Lower texture:
    High texture:

• Darth_Yes
    Original poster 13 posts

@Hunterr12 Yeah, I'm experiencing this everywhere atm. Rooftops especially, but it's happening to all the textures in my game. Interestingly, I have the ps5 version and the textures look 10x better and this issue is not present. It's quite frustrating, considering I've set the PC version to ultra high and the textures actually look worse.

• Hunterr12
    22 posts

@darth_yes I looked up a few different playthroughs on PS5 and didn't notice it. So ya does look like it's specifically tied to the high texture setting on pc

• Hunterr12
    22 posts

I did some more testing by looking into the ini files from Origins-Valhalla. For the character textures I think it's related to the character setting. Origins, which I never noticed this issue, has a character setting of 5 on ultra. Where as Odyssey drops down to a 3 and Valhalla doesn't even have that option ingame, is dropped down to a 2. Might be something to look into increasing for pc players?

• UbiKobold
    Ubisoft Support Staff 445 posts

Sorry everyone for the delay, but thank you all for your patience and updates. I would like to send some system files to the Game team to be included with their investigation. Can each of your create a Support ticket and attach your MSinfo and DxDiag files. Then return here with your ticket number so I can forward up the files.

Official Response
  • Hunterr12
    22 posts

Sharing an update. I went through customer service and at the end of the investigation pretty much came down to it being how the game renders textures and to expect dips in quality. So not a bug or a glitch just how the engine loads textures. Not the answer I was hoping for but there it is. No matter what other settings you turn down if you use high textures they will pop in and out because of how the engine loads them.

• Darth_Yes
    Original poster 13 posts

@hunterr12 Nah, there is no way that is the problem. This does not happen on the PS5 at all. I've tested it multiple times. Textures are flawless and appearing higher resolution than on PC. It didn't happen when I first got the game either.

• Hunterr12
    22 posts

@darth_yes I totally agree with you on it not being the real issue. That's just what I was told after multiple interactions with the official support folks. My guess is on the newer consoles the character/environment setting is turned up a bit which is stopping the pop in for the higher quality textures. I'm sure it's something they could adjust or tune for pc, but if they ever will is a different story

Suggested topics

Community details

Users
Topics