Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• MannoloGamer
    Original poster 9 posts

As we all know, today is "impossible" to buy a graphics card with the shortages and crazy prices, so i have to survive in pc gaming with my gtx 1060, the 3GB version, yeah, wich is the source of my problems with this game. I’m aware that the official minimum specs shows 4GB of vram, i forgot to read before buying... But i still think the situation is unfair, so i’ll complain anyway.

So, because of that 3GB, the game usually starts running like hell, like 20, 15 less fps in low preset, 1080p 100%, with the game using all my dedicated VRAM (3050 MB) and 96% of the gpu. Even if i put everything on “absolute low” (low preset, at 720p 50% (360p)), the use of vram still is 3050 ~ MB running at 20 less fps and with the same 96% of gpu usage, in other scenario, if i crank up the texture quality to the max, the game behaves the exactly same way. In all the situations above, if i load my save, get back to the main menu, and load back (or running the benchmark and then starting the game), the game starts running properly (same vram usage), for a while, until it starts a cutscene, then the fps drops starts, from 60 to 20, 10...

In counterpart, i see vídeos of the game running on a 30 series at 4k ultra high with the game consuming ~5500 MB of VRAM. How can the engine scale the resource consumption like this, with 4x the amount of pixels (or even 36x 720 50%) using less than 2x the VRAM?

Can somebody explain me why the game behave like that and if Ubisoft is aware or plan to fix this?

Despite that, i love playing valhalla (when it runs), and i spent 200 BRL (~40 bucks), so i really want it to work with my hardware.

Thanks for the attention.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Ubi-Spud
    Ubisoft Support Staff 688 posts

@mannologamer Hey there, I'm very sorry you're experiencing low FPS/crash issues in the game.

As you said, your GPU is under minimum spec - we cannot guarantee a good experience because of this.

I totally get the logic of what you're saying, but when you're under spec there isn't a lot we can suggest.

I would suggest ensuring nothing is running in the background and taking up any resources, but beyond that it's not a guarantee that the game will work. I'm sorry for any disappointment caused by this!

Official Response
  • BoladinhoDaZL
    10 posts

I have a similar problem about 4 or 5 months ago, when I "continue" and enter the game my fps is unstable and with a lot of drop, but if I go back to the menu and load the same save without changing any settings my fps is stable and I still have a certain gain of 8 ~ 10 fps in some areas, it’s really weird, with a 5600xt.

• MannoloGamer
    Original poster 9 posts

@ubi-spud Yeah, at least i can play the game with this "back to the menu and back to the game" turnaround. What is curious is that in Asgard and in Jotunheim i don't have this problem at all, maybe its because of the smaller map and/or the lesser mesh variety. By the way, the cutscene slowdown occur mostly in an inner ambient, like in a longhouse. Thanks for the response anyway!

• MannoloGamer
    Original poster 9 posts

@BoladinhoDaZL Nossa cara, e a 5600xt tem 6gb de vram não? Isso ainda ocorre?

• stoyandanov
    13 posts

Just to leave here few thoughts and questions about the specs:

• You purchased the game with minimum specs of GTX960 and play on GTX1060-3G, next generation card, correct? In fact the card is 56% better (https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-960-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060-3GB/3165vs3646) and still the most used GPU in Steam Hardware Survey (https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/)
    • You probably played AC Origins and AC Odyssey without issues, this game looks like a re-skin, and you expected similar performance, correct?
    • When you restart/reload/erc, you can play same part of the game with good FPS, correct?
    • When you change settings you choose settings that match you VRAM, correct?
    • If GTX060-3G is not really supported is it hard for Ubi to do a validation before you buy or start the game and warn you about this?
  • MannoloGamer
    Original poster 9 posts

@stoyandanov Good argument. I'm not defending the devs on this matter, but in the minimum specs it is required a gtx 960 with 4 gb of vram.
    I've played Origins and Odyssey without performance issues (in this level), and i would say that have been some improvements in graphics, especially in light and shading.
    About the graphics settings, i'm playing with water on medium, SSR on, volumetric clouds on high, clutter on medium, depth of field on low and motion blur on, in fact, doesn't matter if i put everything on ABSOLUTE minimum that the game will run the same way, requiring a reload, so at least i will enjoy the game (when it runs) without hurting my eyes with potato graphics.
    By the way, i tested the RE Village demo, and the same thing happens in some areas, and again, it requires 4 gb of vram.
    So, unfortunately, i will have to wait the "semiconductor crisis" end to buy a 3060 to end to fully enjoy this game.

• stoyandanov
    13 posts

@mannologamer It is not exactly clear that the game will not run with less than 4GB VRAM. The VRAM requirement is not a stand-alone requirement but written between the lines as a parameter of video adapter mentioned. In fact there are youtube videos showing the game with 2GB VRAM (

)

Here are the official requirements:
    https://support.ubisoft.com/en-US/Article/000080274/System-requirements-for-Assassins-Creed-Valhalla/

• Once they said "Video card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 (4 GB) or AMD Radeon R9 380 (4 GB), or better with DirectX 12 feature support"
    • Later they wrote "Supported video cards at the time of release:GeForce GTX 900 series: GeForce GTX 960 or better, GeForce GTX 10-Series: GeForce GTX 1060 or better"

So it is not exactly clear should GTX1060-3G be considered better than GTX960 4GB or no. In general we all know that GTX1060-3G has better performance than GTX960 4GB.
    Also the minimum specs are for 1080p low settings and 30 fps, but I got issues with 720p as well. I think there should be relation between FPS, resolution and VRAM.

Actually the issue with sudden frame drops happen not only for people with 3GB VRAM or less, but for a lot more powerful cards as well. You can check this thread with over 1000 comments:
    https://discussions.ubisoft.com/topic/88876/pc-after-tu-1-1-0-i-am-experiencing-fps-drops-low-cpu-and-gpu-utilisation-post-here

Another questionable requirement is for processor with AVX, AVX2 and SSE 4.2 support required. I don't have these on my 6-core Xeon x5680 but I can play, as the AVX requirement was removed in Odyssey and my CPU is near 50% better that the minimum supported i5-4460 (https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i5-4460-vs-Intel-Xeon-X5680/2230vs1312) so it barely get loaded for the above graphics settings.

So let's forget everything above. Consider I'm a regular gamer with pre-build computer and no good hardware knoledge, just know I have 6 cores at 3.33 Ghz and 1060 nvidia. I purchase the game during New Year sale test with a benchmark the performance (it was resonable) and leave the game on stand-by till I complete CP2077. Then I start the game and found this weird sudden frame drop which happen sometime in the beggining, sometime after an hour of gameplay. Then I asked support for help or a refund and the refund was not possible because of 2 hours and 40 minutes of questionable gameplay. What I should do? Nothing special, just take a note and do not purchase games just because I'm a fan and consider similar performance as Origins and Odyssey based on Internet reviewers.

• MannoloGamer
    Original poster 9 posts

@stoyandanov Thanks man. Well, this video gave me a new perspective of this matter, so... What in the???

• MannoloGamer
    Original poster 9 posts

@stoyandanov I mean, in the video the game is running quite well with 900+ mb above the card's limit... Even for the Norway map.

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics