ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• KingAltair02
    Original poster 15 posts

So during the game, I encountered lots of situations in which NPC's would refer to me as a "she" or "her", even though I finished the game as male Eivor (because Marcus Brun). I thought that these are just simple bugs which happen in remote places, but it actually wasn't like that. In one side quest, an old man referred to my big bulky top naked viking brute as a "beautiful daughter" and I was like "whaaat ?" Also, when reading Alfred's letter, the game mentions my name as being Varinsdottir (Daughter of Varin). Even more frustrating is that, after spending 150+ hours on finishing every aspect of the game as male Eivor, the scene where Basim sits in the garden has the female avatar appearing instead of the male one, which honestly screws up the immersion for me big time.

It's extremely disappointing, because in a way it is telling me that I am playing the game with the wrong decisions, even though the game was advertised as having two canon protagonists (male or female). I hope that this is just a bug and that you will be able to fix it sometime, if not the voice lines, then at least the cutscene at the end and Alfred's letter, because they actually have great importance.

Btw, for anyone who is about to respond to this comment calling me an incel, or saying that I have a problem with female characters, grab a chill pill. I don't have a problem with female characters. I just want the choices I make in the game to be relevant and I want to feel like I am actually part of the said historical period. It was annoying enough to see Kassandra's name in Layla's laptop after playing 130+ hours as Alexios, but I let that slide. Can't forgive every mistake though.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Ubi-Mark.
    Ubisoft Support Staff 2579 posts

Hello @KingAltair02,

Sorry to hear about your experience.

Can you please provide us with a sort video if you encounter this issue again, so we can investigate it further for you? Additionally, do you remember in what cutscenes / quests did you notice these instances? Last, but not least, are you playing in English or any other language?

Many thanks and if you have any other questions, please let us know.

Official Response
  • ImaginaryRuins
    418 posts

@kingaltair02 I do not know whether you know this: female Eivor is the canon character; male Eivor is a bug within the Animus. As a result, all the NPCs would react to Eivor in the way that she is a female.

In case you do not know why both male & female Eivors are "canon", that is because ...

spoiler

One more piece of evidence, if you finish the game and quit the Animus ...
    spoiler

• KingAltair02
    Original poster 15 posts

@imaginaryruins Last time I checked, Ubisoft advertised both characters as being canon. Not just one canon Eivor and another sort of canon one. No. When you advertise a game where both the genders are canon, then I expect the game to be coded in a way that doesn't let you notice a difference between the two. Why would they say that both of them are canon then ? Also, I have friends who have played this game in German, and those bugs do not appear, so female Eivor being canon is irrelevant.

• KingAltair02
    Original poster 15 posts

@ubi-mark I cannot offer you the official names of the quests, but I remember this happening in all of East Anglia, Essex and a quest in Winchester where I am supposed to grab a flower from a tree. Also, there was this quest where I had to help a blind old man move some crates and he called me a "beautiful daughter". The letter in which I am called Varinsdottir instead of Varinsson can be found in Alfred's study in Winchester after he gives me the key. As for the cutscene with Basim, it occurs right after you use the animus in the end. When Basim exits the animus and walks into the garden, some sort of bleeding effect appears and gives a silhouette of female Eivor instead of the male I played as. I will try to record the scene and submit a video. Thanks for responding !!!

• ImaginaryRuins
    418 posts

@kingaltair02 What Ubisoft advertised actually was not wrong; male Eivor is not entirely non-exist since he is the alternative personality dwelling inside female, not to mention his DNA was actually inside Eivor. In other words, they kind of share the same body, so within the Animus it is like whether players want to see Eivor as her true self or her alternative, inner self, who is also her ancestor. 🙂

This is different from the Kassandra-Alexios situation in Odyssey.

• KingAltair02
    Original poster 15 posts

@imaginaryruins yes, but Ubisoft didn't advertise this. Players only discover this by playing the game. And if someone plays as male Eivor and suddenly makes this realization, then his whole experience is ruined because he feels that he played the game wrong. This is why choice does not work in a game like Assassin's Creed. While I agree that your explanation of her being "canon" is relevant, Ubisoft advertised it in a wrong way because, once again, new players don't know what's going to happen. They see the statement that "both genders are canon" and they think that no matter what they play as, it will be alright. If someone decides to stretch this, it can also fall into false advertisement which is quite a big problem (I don't see who would go that far as to sue them tho).

However, your reasoning that she is the canon version kinda falls off, because if you play the game in another language, he is referred to with the right pronouns and with the name Varinson. As for the cutscene at the end, even if female Eivor was canon, the bleeding effect shows someone wearing Odin's cloak, so by default, that should be the male version (you said it yourself, the male counterpart is Odin).

• KingAltair02
    Original poster 15 posts

@ubi-mark I was able to find the problematic cutscene in the game. Honestly it is really immersion breaking, especially since Eivor seems to be wearing Odin's robe, so by default, it should be the male character. I have also seen that I am not the only one reporting this problem to you. I have found people complaining about this since November last year and still no progress done on fixing the problem. Ok so apparently the screenshot of the cutscene is too big and I can't even upload it.... great.

Suggested Topics