Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• alx1231
    Original poster 21 posts

I searched the forum and it seems a lot of people brought up this issue at or around launch but none of the threads get very far. It is pretty clear that there is some sort of issue with the HDR that causes the image to appear washed out. Now, I've played most of the game with HDR turned off as a result but it would be nice if Ubi decided to actually fix the issue. All of their other games I've played on my PS5 have excellent HDR. Both Assassin's Creed Orgins and Odyssey really nail it but even non AC games have done an incredible job with HDR (Watch Dogs Legion and Immortals look great) so why is AC: Valhalla the only Ubi game that has this issue? I've read on reddit that it could be a glitch related to the way the game handles it's RGB settings but I am not familiar enough with that to really understand it. Is it possible that Ubisoft will fix it or is that just wishful thinking?

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Ubi-Spud
    Ubisoft Support Staff 702 posts

@alx1231 Hey there, thanks for getting in touch and I apologise that you are having issues with the HDR features in the game. I've had a look at the forums and can see quite a few threads about this, so I'll get this up to the developers to see if anything can be done. They were made aware of some issues with the HDR settings in general, but we can get more specific.

To that end, could you provide a few comparison screenshots so I can submit these as part of the report?

Official Response
  • alx1231
    Original poster 21 posts
    @alx1231 Hey there, thanks for getting in touch and I apologise that you are having issues with the HDR features in the game. I've had a look at the forums and can see quite a few threads about this, so I'll get this up to the developers to see if anything can be done. They were made aware of some issues with the HDR settings in general, but we can get more specific.

To that end, could you provide a few comparison screenshots so I can submit these as part of the report?

It's really hard to share exactly what something looks like in HDR through pictures. The closest I could get are these two images and even then I don't think they do justice to how blurry the image looks in HDR. Still because you require it here goes: This is the HDR image and this is the SDR image. Again, I don't really think these are the best representations of my issue but I am not really sure how else to display it.

• alx1231
    Original poster 21 posts

Is there any update on this? It doesn't seem like you moved forward with this.

• Ubi-Milky
    Ubisoft Support Staff 1402 posts

Hello @alx1231 thank you for coming back to us.

This issue was reported and under investigation, but we only ever received examples from two other players. Are you able to provide us with an updated video or a few screenshots of how this appears for you in-game and in addition to this, could you tell me what monitor/model of TV it is you are using?

The images you originally posted have expired and I would like to see what this looks like for you now, after update 1.3.0

Official Response
  • acem77
    1 posts

I have the same issue was the latest After the update they removed the option for sdr, hdr is forced.
    Hdr has a muddy look. All my other games look fine. Tried to change some tv settings no luck...
    So setting in the helped at all..

• upshawdc
    1 posts

@ubi-milky I am having this same problem. I have an Xbox Series X and a brand new Samsung QN90A 65" tv. It's their flagship tv in the U.S. this year.

All non-ubisoft games look great. But, when I tried out Assassin's Creed Odyssey, all the colors were washed out and very "white". So, i did the in-game calibration, and it helped a lot, but things look bad. Here is another person who has had my problem. He took photos, and they look just like my game looks now:

https://imgur.com/a/0AbVTSl

The SDR image is beautiful with awesome colors, especially on the water. The HDR image looks like garbage in comparison. This is exactly what my game looks like now. You mentioned that you haven't had many reports of this, but it's a common problem in the Assassin's Creed games. For example:

https://www.reddit.com/r/assassinscreed/comments/9lhrbp/image_completely_washed_outlacking_color_when_hdr/

https://discussions.ubisoft.com/topic/79776/hdr-image-washed-out?lang=en-US

https://forums.ubisoft.com/showthread.php/1939079-HDR-looks-horrible

https://forums.ubisoft.com/showthread.php/2225063-HDR-colors-washed-out

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stadia/comments/hghnhl/anyone_else_notice_an_hdr_ingame_change_in/

https://www.reddit.com/r/AssassinsCreedValhala/comments/js5tom/poor_hdr_implementation_in_ac_valhalla_does_the/

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/bwmm6d/does_assassins_creed_odyssey_have_bad_hdr/

https://www.reddit.com/r/assassinscreed/comments/9oi7or/tips_for_people_having_trouble_with_hdr/ (I tried this, didn't fix anything.)

https://www.reddit.com/r/assassinscreed/comments/7axl60/on_pc_game_colors_look_washed_out/

I haven't tried the other Ubisoft games on my tv yet, but the Assassin's Creed HDR bug is widely known, as evidenced by the links above. I could have posted more links to people discussing the problem, but I felt like this was enough to make my point.

The SDR game is beautiful. If an HDR fix can't be implemented, then can you guys at least add the option to turn HDR off in the game?

I understand that HDR can offer more realistic colors, but the color pallette of Assassin's Creed Odyssey was intentionally chosen to be beautiful and colorful. I've seen awesome images of the game running in HDR, but it simply refuses to look that way on my tv. It looks just like that image I posted earlier, here: https://imgur.com/a/0AbVTSl -- Why does the HDR image look like all the colors are muted? The SDR image is far superior.

Please, please forward this to the development team and if they can't fix it, at least give us the option to run 4k with standard definition colors. Just a simple on/off HDR switch in the game would help.

edit: After reading many, many discussions on reddit, it looks like completely shutting down the game, going into my Xbox Series X settings, disabling HDR10 and setting the resolution to 1440p, and then booting the game back up...then going back into my settings while the game is on standby and re-enabling HDR10 and 4kUHD...then restarting the game again...it looks like the game MAY be acting correctly. But, still, something is definitely wrong. I shouldn't have to jump through all those hoops. I'll test it again in the next day or two and see what's happening with it. I'm not even sure which action(s) seems to have fixed the problem. I'm not sure it is fixed, but I booted back into the game and I thought I was still having the problem, but eventually I ran to the ocean, and the water was actually *blue* instead of just the clear-ish washed out color. --The thing is, during that same play session, when the sun was coming up in the game, I thought the water was still washed out. Maybe the in-game lighting plays a role in making things look more washed out during certain times of the day? But there definitely seems to be some kind of bug going on. Even now, while the colors seem better, I am not sure that the problem is fixed. I'd need a few days of extended playthroughs to check it out in depth.... But, the problem definitely exists.

• Matt_GB
    18 posts

HDR is rubbish in all of their games except Origins.

• Ubi-Mark.
    Ubisoft Support Staff 1823 posts

Hello @upshawdc,

Thank you for sharing your detailed report!

I passed it all along to the development team to the ongoing investigation. Once we have an update on this, we will let everyone know through these forums.

If you have any additional questions, please let us know!

Official Response
  • Freestepper
    153 posts

For me HDR was problem in Origins, Odyssey and Valhalla on PC. They never fixed it in the past AC games, i'm not expecting them to fix it in Valhalla too. Actually, only few non-Ubisoft games has nice HDR for me. I think it's maybe the combination of screen and the way of HDR being implemented by devs. AC games has always washed out colors for me.

I don't wanna read just "i'll pass it on to dev team". Yea, pass it on, but dev team is just gonna ignore it, like they always did. I would like to know why is this happening. Why some games has nice HDR image and some games are washed out or why AC games including Valhalla is washed out? I play on PC on Sony x900f TV.

• Ubi-Mark.
    Ubisoft Support Staff 1823 posts

Hello @freestepper,

Sorry to hear about your experience.

I can assure you that every report passed to the development team is being reviewed and investigated. As soon as we have any more details on this one, we will keep everyone up to date through this thread.

Official Response
  • Freestepper
    153 posts

@ubi-mark But i red this exact line years ago about Origins and Odyssey too. Nothing happened. I would be happy if devs investigated it and also came up with conclusion and say that conclusion to people. Even if they are unable to fix it, i want them to say why they can't fix it, what is the problem, etc. If you just say that you gonna pass it on and that devs gonna investigate it and then nothing is gonna happen, it just gonna [censored] me off. I know this is business, but try to be more honest and talk to us. Even about problems that are unsolvable. Can you do that?

Suggested Topics