Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Garbo3
    648 posts

@donjuan2000 This is an absurd request Don Juan .
    AC is gone trough a better path in my opinion since origins. I played the whole saga except one game. Oddissey was my fave until Valhalla arrived. Combat requires timing and the loot doesn't rain from the sky as mana.
    Is a matter of taste. You like it or not but there's many gamers that actually do like the fresh air that the last Valhalla brought to the saga and are enjoying this game. No troleamos because we like the game. Your position is what you want , but can't be taken seriously amigo mio.
    Un saludo

Am talking about removing boss fights.

• Garbo3
    648 posts

@donjuan2000 I would like to add theres no trolls around here,I got a feeling you are used to the kind of forums full of fan boys, trolls etc.
    That luckily doesn't happen here. You are free to express your opinion as long as you are respectful and use the SPOILERS. You may have ruined the story for some people.
    To consider yourself a Don Juan you lack manners .
    I agree with you in some points,disagree in others. But am not going to call you troll just because we got opposite opinions.
    Respect señor Juan. To be considered "Don" you need to be respectful and well mannered so people treat you accordingly 😉

• eternal_vikingr
    7 posts

I think, to say that Valhalla is a step backwards - nevermind a huge step backwards - from Odyssey is just... absolutely batpoop crazy to me, in any capacity.
    I do not wish to say you're wrong about anything you've said, everyone is entitled to their own beliefs & from the length of your post it's apparent you're passionate about this which I respect & more than appreciate trust me, however looking at it somewhat objectively, Valhalla will always come out on top over Odyssey.
    It is my belief that Valhalla is the first redeeming game in the franchise since, well, Origins - since the games lost their own more-or-less unique identity in favor of the more common RPG-style identity. Valhalla is, for me, a huge step in the right direction for the games. It feels like this game is its own & is getting comfortable in its new home.
    I played Odyssey. Way more than I would like to admit to anyone. But it is not an Assassin's Creed game. I will fight you to the death before I change my mind on that. To me, Odyssey was purely a timesink with an interesting setting. I did not, and never will regardless of game/developer, buy in-game currencies with microtransactions. Everything I done in Odyssey was of my own playtime.

For maximum clarification, I will address each (what I think is important) point as you have noted them:

Combat system
    Up until this game (Valhalla), the combat has been... mundane, that is to say, it hasn't been very engaging (sort of plays itself) & more of a chore/grind than anything. Perhaps describing the combat up until now as "means to an end" is the fairest way to say it. I never, ever, played the games for the combat - I was here for the story, characters, setting, the Assassins & their Creed. But now, I really can play Valhalla for pure combat if/when I want to. I'm sure this is owed in part to the setting of the game, but the combat is so much better than any AC game that came before it. The one & only thing I do wish Valhalla had in relation to combat, was more combat execution/finisher animations to spice things up a little.
    "Delete the food energy stuff during combats" - these couple of sentences, I struggle to understand to any degree to actually form a reply to. I'm just gonna say, having to eat food, manage adrenaline, makes the game tenfold more immersive & challenging than any before it. You're not absolutely invincible & if you aren't paying attention or make a mistake, you might pay for that with your life. I totally adore this mechanic & think it could be expanded upon a little more, maybe even give a little more player agency in what they eat, when & why. For example, let's say the "Feast buff" thing just doesn't exist & the player has to decide what they want to cook for specific situations. Instead of collecting mushrooms for rations you could collect them for various types of soups...? I'm not exactly saying you should pick up mushrooms to throw in a pot of soup, I'm saying player agency & decision could play a bigger role in food buffs.
    To address your sentence with "wipe out this awful defence bar, let it be easier and so more realistic": I don't think I have to say much for this. To sum it up though, you're saying "dumb the game down, regress please." I can't speak for everyone, but I'm pretty sure nobody wants this. If someone reading this disagrees (who isn't OP) please don't hesitate to let me know.

Inventory and exploration
    "Why you wipe out all the weapons and armors you can find around" because unlike Odyssey, the team behind Valhalla put effort & care into each armor set & piece to make them look & feel unique. Odyssey was bloated, overflowing with thousands of armor pieces & weapons that were all carbon copies of each other. Even if you say "you can focus on one favorite set," that set was still a copy of another with a change of color. I don't have to say anything else here.

"Minerals and wood looting etc: as above, just go back to the Odyssey mechanics, thanks ! It was much more fun and rewarding."
    You like mindless grinding? You think that's fun & rewarding? Fair enough.

Everything else in your post, I cannot form an opinion on. Some points I feel like are simply nonissues, or so benign.
    One thing I would like to address though before I finish this post, is this:
    "More cutscenes and cinematic dialogs and less childish and uncomfortable effects during gameplay, trust me it will rock this game."
    This point, this one point, is probably the only thing I can wholeheartedly agree with. For me Odyssey had this same problem, Valhalla nowhere near the same extent, but still it is present.
    I cannot express how I feel about this without a comparison to how The Witcher 3 handles conversations with its important characters. Kingdom Come Deliverance also comes to mind when I think about this.
    In these games, we play as humans. Humans are social creatures & learn from each other by conversing, sometimes for hours on end. Now, I don't want to be talking to someone in an Assassin's Creed game for literal hours. But I feel it would go such a long way for immersion if sometimes we just had to, for example... sit down, talk to people, maybe about their problems, their demons, their desires, or maybe just talking among a group of people about some plans, discussing what could possibly go wrong with certain plans & how to remedy issues with said plan(s). I'm not saying that we need some complex system in place... just, even the illusion that we play as fully grown adults, doing adult things, like... talking.

To finish this up, appropriately, I'm gonna address OP's last point in his post. I cannot, on any planet, agree that Odyssey was an "Almost Perfect Game," & I think, again, it's absolutely batpoop crazy to even almost think that. This might be a very hot take, but I think Odyssey is... a tarnish on the AC franchise, that's being nice about it - I honestly don't think it should be considered canon in any regard. Lowkey I think it should be forgotten about. Not hating, but it blows my mind that somebody can hold that game in such high regard & compare Valhalla to it, saying Odyssey done X better than Valhalla please bring X from Odyssey back. To me, Odyssey is extremely extremely extremely subpar to actually, any Ubisoft game.

• Fortyniners354
    43 posts

A rant such as this has appeared on these forums countless times, and I’m getting tired of them. You like Odyssey better than Valhalla? Fine. Everyone has their own tastes. But why spend time writing such a massive diatribe? As for me, I hated Odyssey. I started playing it three different times, and each time I quit before level 20. I’m not going to spend time explaining why I like Valhalla better. Let’s just say it appeals more to my play style. Now, I assume that Odyssey appeals more to yours. I got it. Let’s just leave it at that.

• TORFINR
    351 posts

In terms of design, graphics, or overall aspect, Valhalla is good, we can almost say that it is better than Odyssey.
    Sadly the game feels empty outside the main story quests. Odyssey has a system of endless exploring, completing contracts, fighting on sea, on land... totally absent from Valhalla.
    when the main story arc is played, Valhalla becomes a dead game or at best a badly designed fishing and hunting simulator. Outside fishing and hunting there are nothing, strictly nothing to do in the game.
    undefined

• Dj0rdje12
    36 posts

The last 3 assassins creed game are my favorite in series and in my top 15 games ever (maybe even top 10 ) because they changed combat , introduced RPG elements and huge open world . For me Valhalla is the best AC game and my second favorite game of all time after Witcher 3 . I would rank them Valhalla > Odyssey >>Origins . The only thing Origins has over those 2 is main character and everything else is worse in my opinion but its still great unique game that allows us to explore Egypt.

I will explain what I found good in Odyssey and in Valhalla.

Good thing about Odyssey is :

• Naval combat is great
    • Mercenaries
    • better loot and customize
    • better perks
    • better settings ( ancient Greece is the most beautiful settings ever )
    • longer side quests
    • weakening nation system
    • probably overall better combat

Good things about Valhalla are :

• Raiding is better than conquest battles many times
    • return of shields and dual wielding system
    • better story and characters
    • much better stealth with one hit kills , social stealth , hiding in hay and cloak and hood system that actually works and reduces chances guards will discover you.
    • plenty small puzzles like locked and barred doors , finding way to shot cursed symbol , bringing oil jars.
    • introduction of settlement
    • side quests are short and quick
    • much more side activites like fishing , cairns , mushrooms , stones , flyting , drinking , dice , chasing tatoos.

They are similar games but Valhalla simply has more side activites , has many puzzles , great stealth , settlement and better story . Thats it those are my reasons why I would put it above Odyssey.

• pesto.
    103 posts

I disagree, the combat in both is really good though perhaps not quite on the level of really great fighters like God Of War, Ghost of Tsushima, Nioh etc. But there’s not a massive rift between Valhalla and Odyssey, just slightly different styles.

The biggest problems I have with both are latency between input and moves though this is improved at 60fps, parry mechanic feeling far too loose (possibly as a result of the input latency), and combat overall being far far far too easy, which results in the games becoming brawlers rather than assassins creed games where open combat should be either just one approach of many or the final option when strategic assault has failed.

Origins, Odyssey and Valhalla are great games but regardless of the three progression trees you only get to play as a warrior, never a hunter or Assassin. You do not set traps, funnel enemies or engineer situations to create a downfall for your opponents, you do not use shadows, stealth or the environment.

If opponents were more skilled or attacked in greater numbers and if it required greater skill to pull off then direct combat wouldn’t be the only solution to every problem. In fact you’re so overpowered that there’s rarely a reason to even use the combat abilities, which is fine as diving into menus mid combat isn’t the most intuitive approach (I’d prefer combos).

• Cell1e
    174 posts

@donjuan2000

I agree with most of what you wrote, I loved Odyssy so much that I was extrememly disappointed with Valhalla, in many ways the development team that did Valhalla went in completely oppostite directions and that probably threw me big time, I am enjoying Valhalla more now and am trying to appreciate it for what it is instead of what it isnt.

I gave up on Valhalla back in November and didnt get to the end so Im starting it again now and trying to complete it in time for the druids dlc as I live in Ireland and Im really interested to see where the dlc locations are.

So far I'm enjoying it a little more, just wish they hadn't nerfed the armour and weapon drops so much. I don't want to go to Asgard because there are no armour/weapon rewards there, so I'm dodging that quest completely 😄

• Ken_Koerperich
    52 posts

Actually both of these are poo!

Hasn't been a good AC since since 3 was released.

They all started getting to "In your face" combat style.

MTX started taking over.

IMO story became "redundant"

• TORFINR
    351 posts

@ken_koerperich Sorry dude, I might shock you but I dont care, and most of us here dont care, about AC. We're here for a RPG. And we will judge Odyssey and Valhalla as a RPG.
    It's called AC Odyssey or AC Valhalla, we see only "Odyssey" and "Valhalla". RPG games. Since Origins, AC games are not AC anymore (the way you understand it, and I respect your opinion/tastes in term of games), and if they still were, I wouldnt be here replying to your post 😉

But you're right! It's all about that: it seems Ubisoft doesnt know what they want to do: do they want us to play an AC game, AKA ligh-RPG game, or do they want their games to be real RPG games? Origins and the Odyssey gave us the feeling that they wanted their games to be RPG. But one step forward, two steps backward, Valhalla tends to go in the "ligh RPG" category. It's not our fault, we're just facing an editor who doesnt seem to know what he wants really.

At the end of the day, you're here because you thought it's an AC game, and you're disappointed, and I'm here because I thought it's a RPG, and I am disappointed too 😕

• Ken_Koerperich
    52 posts

@torfinr Completely understand....that's why this is going into the dumpster once ESO:Black Wood comes out.

I will feed my RPG/ONLINE needs, and now they are adding the "Companion" system, so in essence, I can solo, BUT not really be solo...

Can't wait...This is just filler for now...probably why I'm at 120+ hours and still only to Essex....Got like 4 "area's" to clear before I even head to find "my brother"....LOL!

• TORFINR
    351 posts

@ken_koerperich Very interesting what you say here! you said ESO: Black Wood, I should have a look at it 🙂

• Ken_Koerperich
    52 posts

@torfinr End of June, look for the "Complete" edition for $69 bucks. It has pretty much everything from Day 1 content up to BW release...And anything it don't have you can use the "saved" money from buying big pack now, to get what you are missing.

• Cell1e
    174 posts

@ken_koerperich

Oh I cant wait for Blackwood to come out, the companion system will be wonderful. There's gonna be rooo-mance too!! 😄

• Garbo3
    648 posts

@cell1e what am missing here? Whats blackwood?

• Ken_Koerperich
    52 posts

@garbo3 Elder Scrolls Online aka Skyrim -"ish" MMORPG....Releases June 22....New Champion System, Companions Added...I believe this release will make the 6th expansion....All for $69....And if you're a RUSHER, you can YT how to do it, and get to end game content/pvp/dungeons in less than 50 hours...Tons of things in game. Crafting, PvP, PvE, Dailies, Weeklies, Solo or Group Dungeons, Massive PvP Zone Group Dungeons, Tons of Builds, 10 classes to choose from, Guilds/Clans, King of PvP, so on so forth. Way more in game than this, this is just a quick "stroke" of what's available in ESO... If you're an RPG Online Junky, this is one of the best around, as there is so much to do, that it can become a second job to keep up.

• Ken_Koerperich
    52 posts

@garbo3 Heads up, lots to read, but this is the BEST out there about ESO... alcasthq(dot)com

Replace (dot)

• Garbo3
    648 posts

@ken_koerperich omg 😲 thanks
    Didn't know!

• DonJuan2000
    Original poster 10 posts

@garbo3 Yeah I'm very used sorry 😄 Trolls are everywhere, but I'm not here often. So now I will not comment what you wrote..... except combat system but not commenting you.

p.s. I cannot edit my past posts. I tried to reduce as much as possible spoilers, but you know there could be from the Thread's Title. Maybe next time I will introduce with a warning ok ? Bye 🙂

• DonJuan2000
    Original poster 10 posts

@eternal_vikingr Combat System: Despite the fact that is even too hard for me and also Odyssey had his good challenges, Valahalla is a kind of “press the button as fast as you can” approach, or “press the right keys combinations as fast as you can”. I don't like this approach at all, is quite stupid, I Like a more a mental approach and with nice combat style, moves, coreography you know, I like a combat system in which you Think what to do and When, rather than be just fast with fingers. And BTW in both games you are a quite skilled soldier, you should not die easily. But if you make mistakes it can happen in Odyssey too. It have his challenges. And have also a good stealth approach. You can mix up stealth and assault in a nice way and use different approach.

Maybe some of you are young, but take the time to play retro games. Aside Street Fighter there was some other better fighter combat games with more a mental approach and nice style and coreography too in some cases. With old technology and low budget they did what multi billionaire companies are not able to do today in 2021.

So Maybe new team dev don't know much about videogame history, and maybe also some new younger player are more good with fingers than brain. But is also a personal taste I suppose. Anyway AC was always more for a Mature Public and more about History, Narrative and exploration with a Cinematic Approach. You don't play AC for combats, and as I said RPG is a natural evolution of the game.

Honestly from AC 1 I always figure out this game to be like Odyssey. I really appreciated and love the job they done and hope to see them back.
    But, if you read the Title, I'm not even talking about all the AC Franchise, but just comparing those two games. Odyssey was a good and beautiful RPG, Valahalla not. In this way so it's definitely a huge step back. I said why and made and analysys.
    -
    Boss Fight are really “Gamey”. And btw even a Boss Fight it dosen't mean it should be so much harder. It dosen't have any sense and honestly ruin the experience of a game so much focused on adventure and exploration.

In Deus Ex Manking Humanity we was able to let the team to wipe out this concept, and they made a very interesting alternative in the DLC. Despite the fact anyway I didn't had too much trouble because I used the right weapon LOL 😄 But I appreciated the change of direction.

Anyway my first post was an analysys I done to give suggestions to Ubisoft. They will know what to do with it 🙂

-
    Unique armors ? Yeah they are really unique, they are just a couple in Valahalla 😄

In Odyssey they was not equals. They have much different lookings and properties you don't even know. Which I don't need to say more 😉

Even so, As I said you can sell them or dismantle. As I said, Weapon and Armors are much more fun and rewarding when you explore and solve misteries, than find an ingot etc.......... and loot was also fun for me. I don't need to repeat.

Grinding ? I never felt to grind all over my 300 hours of gaming ! 😄 Odyssey is an RPG focused on Adventure and Exploration. Do that, enjoy the landscapes and stories and you will be widely rewarded. You don't need to grind anything......... Valahalla is about grinding and quite annoying honestly also for that.
    -
    I'm happy you agree about Cinematic and Dialogues and immersion. A good example is Mass Effect or Skyrim but ME have more Cinematic Dialogues really well made. But this depends probably if it will still be an RPG and if you really like RPG, which I suspect not much.

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics