Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Ken_Koerperich
    52 posts

@garbo3 Heads up, lots to read, but this is the BEST out there about ESO... alcasthq(dot)com

Replace (dot)

• Garbo3
    648 posts

@ken_koerperich omg 😲 thanks
    Didn't know!

• DonJuan2000
    Original poster 10 posts

@garbo3 Yeah I'm very used sorry 😄 Trolls are everywhere, but I'm not here often. So now I will not comment what you wrote..... except combat system but not commenting you.

p.s. I cannot edit my past posts. I tried to reduce as much as possible spoilers, but you know there could be from the Thread's Title. Maybe next time I will introduce with a warning ok ? Bye 🙂

• DonJuan2000
    Original poster 10 posts

@eternal_vikingr Combat System: Despite the fact that is even too hard for me and also Odyssey had his good challenges, Valahalla is a kind of “press the button as fast as you can” approach, or “press the right keys combinations as fast as you can”. I don't like this approach at all, is quite stupid, I Like a more a mental approach and with nice combat style, moves, coreography you know, I like a combat system in which you Think what to do and When, rather than be just fast with fingers. And BTW in both games you are a quite skilled soldier, you should not die easily. But if you make mistakes it can happen in Odyssey too. It have his challenges. And have also a good stealth approach. You can mix up stealth and assault in a nice way and use different approach.

Maybe some of you are young, but take the time to play retro games. Aside Street Fighter there was some other better fighter combat games with more a mental approach and nice style and coreography too in some cases. With old technology and low budget they did what multi billionaire companies are not able to do today in 2021.

So Maybe new team dev don't know much about videogame history, and maybe also some new younger player are more good with fingers than brain. But is also a personal taste I suppose. Anyway AC was always more for a Mature Public and more about History, Narrative and exploration with a Cinematic Approach. You don't play AC for combats, and as I said RPG is a natural evolution of the game.

Honestly from AC 1 I always figure out this game to be like Odyssey. I really appreciated and love the job they done and hope to see them back.
    But, if you read the Title, I'm not even talking about all the AC Franchise, but just comparing those two games. Odyssey was a good and beautiful RPG, Valahalla not. In this way so it's definitely a huge step back. I said why and made and analysys.
    -
    Boss Fight are really “Gamey”. And btw even a Boss Fight it dosen't mean it should be so much harder. It dosen't have any sense and honestly ruin the experience of a game so much focused on adventure and exploration.

In Deus Ex Manking Humanity we was able to let the team to wipe out this concept, and they made a very interesting alternative in the DLC. Despite the fact anyway I didn't had too much trouble because I used the right weapon LOL 😄 But I appreciated the change of direction.

Anyway my first post was an analysys I done to give suggestions to Ubisoft. They will know what to do with it 🙂

-
    Unique armors ? Yeah they are really unique, they are just a couple in Valahalla 😄

In Odyssey they was not equals. They have much different lookings and properties you don't even know. Which I don't need to say more 😉

Even so, As I said you can sell them or dismantle. As I said, Weapon and Armors are much more fun and rewarding when you explore and solve misteries, than find an ingot etc.......... and loot was also fun for me. I don't need to repeat.

Grinding ? I never felt to grind all over my 300 hours of gaming ! 😄 Odyssey is an RPG focused on Adventure and Exploration. Do that, enjoy the landscapes and stories and you will be widely rewarded. You don't need to grind anything......... Valahalla is about grinding and quite annoying honestly also for that.
    -
    I'm happy you agree about Cinematic and Dialogues and immersion. A good example is Mass Effect or Skyrim but ME have more Cinematic Dialogues really well made. But this depends probably if it will still be an RPG and if you really like RPG, which I suspect not much.

• DonJuan2000
    Original poster 10 posts

@torfinr You totally get the point ! I'm not talking about all the AC Franchisee, aside the fact I have them and this also mean something, but those two games. Odyssey was a true full RPG. From Origins they was going into this more and more. So we spent money for the Gold Edition expecting Valahalla to be an RPG like Odyssey which is clearly not 😄 You said well, one step forward, two step behind.

So I Just made an analysis and given suggestions. Thanks lots for your comment 🕶

• DonJuan2000
    Original poster 10 posts

@cell1e Thanks lots for your comment man 😄

I agree with you too. I'm trying too to enjoy with the good sides of Valahalla, but I always feel something missing ( yeah armors, weapons etc ). And I'm also quite annoyed from the worse things as said above like combats and so on

• longjohn119
    502 posts
    @torfinr Completely understand....that's why this is going into the dumpster once ESO:Black Wood comes out.

I will feed my RPG/ONLINE needs, and now they are adding the "Companion" system, so in essence, I can solo, BUT not really be solo...

Can't wait...This is just filler for now...probably why I'm at 120+ hours and still only to Essex....Got like 4 "area's" to clear before I even head to find "my brother"....LOL!

I have to say that sounds interesting ..... I never even played Skyrim until January of last year and I really have had a lot of fun with it mainly because of the mods that give it a modern look and feel and add a ton of new content so it's infinitely replayable (I'm currently doing a DLC sized Mod called Vigilant and after that one that was updated and brought back called Wyrmstooth) .... I was alway kind of put off with ESO because it's not exactly single player friendly and none of my friends (I'm 62) are into gaming plus my schedule is such I can't say from day to day what hours I will be able to play which makes it hard to find a group of people to play with ..... Adding a companion might make single player a little more doable

Then again I'm currently setting up Witcher 3 with a bunch of new graphics mods and am looking to have another shot at that now that I've become a little more accustomed to the RPG format, I still haven't gotten around to playing the Blood and Wine and Hearts of Stone DLCs .... I know they are doing a new release "second half of 2021" with upgraded graphics, DLSS 2.0 and Ray Tracing but I suspect it going to be more 4th quarter than 3rd quarter ... I'm also hoping that just maybe Valhalla will be playable after the June update but I sure wouldn't bet the farm on it

• longjohn119
    502 posts

@donjuan2000 A lot of people agree with you including myself Odyssey is a better more engaging, more rewarding game than Valhalla is and that is backed up by Google user ratings

Google User Rating for Valhalla is 3.6
    Google User Rating for Odyssey is 4.3
    Google User Rating for Origins is 4.6

In fact the Google User Rating for every AC game since 2 falls between 4.3 and 4.8 (Black Flag) with Valhalla the only one to have a user rating below 4.3

I'm sure some people like Valhalla more but obviously the majority do not feel the same way

• B00MSIE
    298 posts

@longjohn119

Probably because Valhalla is one of the most buggiest games ever released by Ubisoft. Does not say a lot about how good the actual gameplay is. Because of the fact, Valhalla is unplayable for a lot of players, I actually find this a very high rating. But where can you find these Google ratings?

• TORFINR
    331 posts

@b00msie it could be the bugs, yeah, but it's also the lack of replayable content.
    In Odyssey some players were complaining about the forts, but the forts do not disappear once cleaned: you can replay them, and you're even invited to do so with the contract system. Is it interesting? Not sure if it is for everybody, but at least it's there (and, for my part, I take a lot of pleasure to have contracts and go in forts around the map for accomplishing them). A majority of players enjoyed those replayable forts and castles. It's basic, it's about "killing" but it's a game which a heavy emphasis on combats, that's what most us were looking for when starting playing.

In Valhalla you have mysteries as an equivalent, which most of the time are not about "killing" but more about "unlocking" stuff (odd in a 'viking game' but it's an other debate). But once the mystery is done, it's not there anymore. It results in the fact that the map of Valhalla is more and more empty and more and more uninteresting when you advance in the game. At the end Valhalla's map is just an empty desert, without quests, without points of interest, in which you can only fish and hunt (for obtaining leather that you cant even sell ....)

The "official ratings" judge only the main story and the overall design/graphics of the game. And for that it's very good, Valhalla is beautiful and the main story arc is correct.
    Players (as pointed above, google ratings) on the other hand judge the game as a whole: will I still be entertained in two weeks from now, in two months from now, next year ? ... obviously Valhalla is lacking real content to keep people play the game for more than two months.

• Cell1e
    174 posts

@longjohn119

Hi Longjohn,

I think you will find ESO really enjoyable, make sure to get some of the mods that really add quality of life improvements. I play solo, the only guild I have joined in ESO is the trading guild as that's the only way to sell your stuff. (Im 54 and none of my friends play games either so its solo all the way for me too)

There is very little you cant do as a solo player, even the wee dungeons(delves) on each map are for solo players and some of the bigger dungeons are manageable for many players solo when they are higher leveled.

I love the crafting and levelling my characters. There are main quests on each map with little story arcs to complete and loads of materials to gather and vistas to check out as well as the delves and sidequests helping towns people, its really lovely.

I adored Skyrim for the mods and the role-playing and customisation and the funny npcs and stories and the ESO online is really good for those features now too. Of course The Witcher 3 is sublime and Blood and Wine DLC my very favourite all time Witcher DLC. So put ESO on that list of yours, even without the companion system I think you will love it. 🙂

Oh and regarding your other posts about google user rating, Id probably put Odyssey above Origins because it was way more RPGish but Origins was a lovely game too. Odyssey for me is below those 2 and maybe even below the London Assassin game as I really enjoyed that wee tour of London and playing as the twins. Size isn't as important to me as replayability. 🙂

I greatly enjoyed playing around with the assassin tools that the twins have, nothing like a good berserk dart to get the job done!

• B00MSIE
    298 posts

@torfinr

Agree about the content. Although the content of Odyssey gave me the same replayability as the river raids in Valhalla and the daily Reda missions. All generated missions were the same. I stopped doing them after 5-10 times. I did not finish Odyssey, because all campaign things to do were also all the same. It really bored me. While I replayed Origins twice and I really loved all the little puzzles and short stories in Valhalla.

While I prefer the gameplay of Valhalla over Odyssey, I also rate Valhalla lower then Odyssey. The constant screen tearing on the Xbox Series X annoys the hell out of me, not to mention the many other game breaking bugs I encountered. I had to reload hours old savegames (when I was lucky enough that my manual savegames were actually saved) so many times, because of bugs. No serious gaming site should ignore all those bugs. How good the gameplay and nice looking the world may be, this game should have never been rated that high as most gaming sites do. After this game I lost fate in most of them. Only a few sites mentioned the fact, Valhalla was unfinished.

• ADarklore
    88 posts

@b00msie I love the fact that Odyssey has so much replayability, especially with NG+... love replaying all the stories and side quests. One of my favorite activities is raiding forts... there are so many forts, but the largest ones are the funnest; you can play them in so many different ways.

As for Valhalla, I stopped playing back in early December because of all the bugs. I didn't want to progress the story and get stuck like so many had done. While I didn't hit any major snags up to the point I played, I did have one mission where it never ended, never received the cut scene. I had to reload a save and replay it, and it thankfully the cutscene triggered the second time.

As for people talking about ESO: Blackwood. I've pre-ordered it... played ESO for many years in fact. However, I find I get very bored after awhile when I go back and play it now. It's just so repetitive, no matter what you're doing... you feel like, "didn't I just do this same thing a few quests ago?" The problem is it is so filled with fetch quests, you're endlessly running here and there to collect x, y, or z... then return to finish the quest. While initially I liked the fact that I could keep playing the same game for years, after going back to playing after being gone a couple years, and you suddenly realize that you have SO MANY quests ahead of you, so so many fetch quests. I don't mind repetition, hence why I love Odyssey (and I'm a huge Spartan history fanboy)... but in ESO, the repetition is just... grrrrrrrrrrr. Hopefully when they add 'companions' it'll make it a lot more interesting.

• longjohn119
    502 posts
    @longjohn119

Probably because Valhalla is one of the most buggiest games ever released by Ubisoft. Does not say a lot about how good the actual gameplay is. Because of the fact, Valhalla is unplayable for a lot of players, I actually find this a very high rating. But where can you find these Google ratings?

It's simple you just google the name of a game and on the right side there will be a column with game information. Scroll down and you'll find user ratings and reviews

The reason I like it is because it doesn't get review bombed like Metacritic and Steam

• longjohn119
    502 posts
    @longjohn119

That's my main gripe with it Bugs and basic systems like aim assist, bow selection, are broken ..... The transmog system is nothing but microtransaction driving BS .... And I don't really like the side content because none of it has any meat to it .... Yes some of Odyssey's and Origin's side quests were simple but there were also some that were quite good and a story within a story such as the quest with Kyra, the Dagger quests on Euboea, the Diona quests on Kythera Island and the Pephka Leandros quests ..... There is simply nothing like that in Valhalla, the mysteries are boring and unrewarding and some of them just downright stupid ,,,, stacking stones and drinking games are also blah .... chasing a piece of paper for a tattoo that you can't even see because the clothing covers them up reminds me of those stupid animus fragments or cockades in pre-Origins games

• DonJuan2000
    Original poster 10 posts

@longjohn119 Thanks, totally agreed. I didn't know about Google rating on this game, but it must mean somethings considered all that. I'm really sorry for Ubisoft, but that's it. I tried to make an analysis about good and bad sides. And it's not about bugs, but lack of design I would say.

• DonJuan2000
    Original poster 10 posts

@torfinr the problem with misteries or exploration in general in Valahalla, not just misteries, like I said, is that you maybe explore and dig up ancient ruins, looking into misteries and legends lost in time, and then when you are about to discover all of that your find is yet another same ingot like many before in a complicate and unlikely craft upgrade system... not rewarding at all.

I love much more Odyssey, first there was a context and quite a story about those legends if you pay attention and know a bit about Greek History, there was even some explanation on the Map itself, 2nd there was so many weapons and armors, and even legendary ones, with many different lookings and even more different properties. Very Rewarding under multiple aspects.

About rivers raids, as I said I don't like it, it's mostly useless for the main game. An idea bad developped.

• Garbo3
    648 posts

Ok. Many of us won't like this I guess
    BIG SPOILERS

• B00MSIE
    298 posts

@garbo3

If the main characters actually are assassins it could be fun. Now I am more stimulated to play like an assassin in Ghost Recon Wildlands or Far Cry 5, then I am in an Valhalla.

• AlphaGoose46219
    155 posts

@garbo3 Maybe bug free in 2025!

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics