Continue your odyssey

Welcome to discussion

Welcome to discussion

Quick Suggestions

Hello! These new forums are an open beta and we welcome your feedback in this section.
  • Cell1e
    174 posts

@longjohn119

Hi Longjohn,

I think you will find ESO really enjoyable, make sure to get some of the mods that really add quality of life improvements. I play solo, the only guild I have joined in ESO is the trading guild as that's the only way to sell your stuff. (Im 54 and none of my friends play games either so its solo all the way for me too)

There is very little you cant do as a solo player, even the wee dungeons(delves) on each map are for solo players and some of the bigger dungeons are manageable for many players solo when they are higher leveled.

I love the crafting and levelling my characters. There are main quests on each map with little story arcs to complete and loads of materials to gather and vistas to check out as well as the delves and sidequests helping towns people, its really lovely.

I adored Skyrim for the mods and the role-playing and customisation and the funny npcs and stories and the ESO online is really good for those features now too. Of course The Witcher 3 is sublime and Blood and Wine DLC my very favourite all time Witcher DLC. So put ESO on that list of yours, even without the companion system I think you will love it. 🙂

Oh and regarding your other posts about google user rating, Id probably put Odyssey above Origins because it was way more RPGish but Origins was a lovely game too. Odyssey for me is below those 2 and maybe even below the London Assassin game as I really enjoyed that wee tour of London and playing as the twins. Size isn't as important to me as replayability. 🙂

I greatly enjoyed playing around with the assassin tools that the twins have, nothing like a good berserk dart to get the job done!

• B00MSIE
    296 posts

@torfinr

Agree about the content. Although the content of Odyssey gave me the same replayability as the river raids in Valhalla and the daily Reda missions. All generated missions were the same. I stopped doing them after 5-10 times. I did not finish Odyssey, because all campaign things to do were also all the same. It really bored me. While I replayed Origins twice and I really loved all the little puzzles and short stories in Valhalla.

While I prefer the gameplay of Valhalla over Odyssey, I also rate Valhalla lower then Odyssey. The constant screen tearing on the Xbox Series X annoys the hell out of me, not to mention the many other game breaking bugs I encountered. I had to reload hours old savegames (when I was lucky enough that my manual savegames were actually saved) so many times, because of bugs. No serious gaming site should ignore all those bugs. How good the gameplay and nice looking the world may be, this game should have never been rated that high as most gaming sites do. After this game I lost fate in most of them. Only a few sites mentioned the fact, Valhalla was unfinished.

• ADarklore
    88 posts

@b00msie I love the fact that Odyssey has so much replayability, especially with NG+... love replaying all the stories and side quests. One of my favorite activities is raiding forts... there are so many forts, but the largest ones are the funnest; you can play them in so many different ways.

As for Valhalla, I stopped playing back in early December because of all the bugs. I didn't want to progress the story and get stuck like so many had done. While I didn't hit any major snags up to the point I played, I did have one mission where it never ended, never received the cut scene. I had to reload a save and replay it, and it thankfully the cutscene triggered the second time.

As for people talking about ESO: Blackwood. I've pre-ordered it... played ESO for many years in fact. However, I find I get very bored after awhile when I go back and play it now. It's just so repetitive, no matter what you're doing... you feel like, "didn't I just do this same thing a few quests ago?" The problem is it is so filled with fetch quests, you're endlessly running here and there to collect x, y, or z... then return to finish the quest. While initially I liked the fact that I could keep playing the same game for years, after going back to playing after being gone a couple years, and you suddenly realize that you have SO MANY quests ahead of you, so so many fetch quests. I don't mind repetition, hence why I love Odyssey (and I'm a huge Spartan history fanboy)... but in ESO, the repetition is just... grrrrrrrrrrr. Hopefully when they add 'companions' it'll make it a lot more interesting.

• longjohn119
    484 posts
    @longjohn119

Probably because Valhalla is one of the most buggiest games ever released by Ubisoft. Does not say a lot about how good the actual gameplay is. Because of the fact, Valhalla is unplayable for a lot of players, I actually find this a very high rating. But where can you find these Google ratings?

It's simple you just google the name of a game and on the right side there will be a column with game information. Scroll down and you'll find user ratings and reviews

The reason I like it is because it doesn't get review bombed like Metacritic and Steam

• longjohn119
    484 posts
    @longjohn119

Probably because Valhalla is one of the most buggiest games ever released by Ubisoft. Does not say a lot about how good the actual gameplay is. Because of the fact, Valhalla is unplayable for a lot of players, I actually find this a very high rating. But where can you find these Google ratings?

That's my main gripe with it Bugs and basic systems like aim assist, bow selection, are broken ..... The transmog system is nothing but microtransaction driving BS .... And I don't really like the side content because none of it has any meat to it .... Yes some of Odyssey's and Origin's side quests were simple but there were also some that were quite good and a story within a story such as the quest with Kyra, the Dagger quests on Euboea, the Diona quests on Kythera Island and the Pephka Leandros quests ..... There is simply nothing like that in Valhalla, the mysteries are boring and unrewarding and some of them just downright stupid ,,,, stacking stones and drinking games are also blah .... chasing a piece of paper for a tattoo that you can't even see because the clothing covers them up reminds me of those stupid animus fragments or cockades in pre-Origins games

• DonJuan2000
    Original poster 10 posts

@longjohn119 Thanks, totally agreed. I didn't know about Google rating on this game, but it must mean somethings considered all that. I'm really sorry for Ubisoft, but that's it. I tried to make an analysis about good and bad sides. And it's not about bugs, but lack of design I would say.

• DonJuan2000
    Original poster 10 posts

@torfinr the problem with misteries or exploration in general in Valahalla, not just misteries, like I said, is that you maybe explore and dig up ancient ruins, looking into misteries and legends lost in time, and then when you are about to discover all of that your find is yet another same ingot like many before in a complicate and unlikely craft upgrade system... not rewarding at all.

I love much more Odyssey, first there was a context and quite a story about those legends if you pay attention and know a bit about Greek History, there was even some explanation on the Map itself, 2nd there was so many weapons and armors, and even legendary ones, with many different lookings and even more different properties. Very Rewarding under multiple aspects.

About rivers raids, as I said I don't like it, it's mostly useless for the main game. An idea bad developped.

• Garbo3
    630 posts

Ok. Many of us won't like this I guess
    BIG SPOILERS

• B00MSIE
    296 posts

@garbo3

If the main characters actually are assassins it could be fun. Now I am more stimulated to play like an assassin in Ghost Recon Wildlands or Far Cry 5, then I am in an Valhalla.

• AlphaGoose46219
    155 posts

@garbo3 Maybe bug free in 2025!

• DJAM3R
    11 posts

I agree in an a lot of ways, but to begin with It's way more of a hassle to play offline with valhalla. I've literally never had that many issues with playing a game offline. That will always be ridiculous, when it comes to a single player game.

• DJAM3R
    11 posts

@donjuan2000
    That is literally the only thing In the exploration I prefer in Valhalla. I just got sick of the randomized loot in AC odyssey. That said collecting the loot was a lot more fun in Odyssey, and not lazy like in Valhalla

• DJAM3R
    11 posts

@longjohn119
    Lol games that get review bombed usually deserve it

• DJAM3R
    11 posts

@torfinr
    Don't get me wrong, I have my own reasons to dislike Valhalla and I love myself a good RPG, but how is Valhalla even an RPG ?

• Garbo3
    630 posts

@alphagoose46219 yes please !

• AlphaGoose46219
    155 posts

@djam3r Your right, its not a RPG at all!
    It's a linear story with fake choices, played the game 3 times 753 hrs due to having the brewing storm bug (replayed the game after 56 lost hrs) and again a new run after i got my new series x.
    Did the main quests with different choices and the outcome was exact the same, only Sigurd's opinion at the end will be different.
    Complete hilarious is when you take different dialog options, the answers/reactions are literally the same.
    Gender choice; Eivor is a woman, there is a interview with the writer on youtube

and he only talks about "she"!
    So the whole gender choice is typical UBisoft hypocritical / political chicken.........

• pesto.
    34 posts

Valhalla was never going to be every game, honestly the weak points are bugs and the game itself is good.

You have to remember that AC isn’t a Rockstar game where they burn out thousands of artists in sweatshops in Asia over a ten year period to make one game that will make a billion dollars. Instead Ubisoft burn out a thousand artists in Quebec over a 2 year period and make a few hundred million. It’s much more humanitarian with far lower chance of the Polish government threatening to send you to jail because of your bugs than working for CD Project Red for example.

It’s also unlikely to result in a game that’s all things to all men. There just isn’t time. Ubisoft make beautiful environments and props but when it comes to the mechanics and mission structure it feels like a series of presets that they drop in with different configurations for each game. Where Valhalla’s world may feel hand built and full of detail none of the mechanics or story has that same bespoke feel. It has a samey proceduralness that makes the choices and gameplay actions we make feel strangely inconsequential.

I would love to see as much time spent on the story paths, side missions and various sub-games as is obviously spent on the visuals. I think for many players yes these are entertainment but they’re also games as art and that’s why it’s more annoying when you spot stuff that lets it down.

• TORFINR
    331 posts

@pesto We do agree.
    But adding real RPG elements isnt that complicated, and they have done it in the past (Odyssey took the correct direction, Origins was also promising). We're not asking them here to invest time and energy for something complicated, but to stay true to themselves with the RPG elements. Why add RPG elements with stats on items, levels, skills, passive skills, and such if it isnt to make them behave like true RPG elements?!?
    Making the RPG system work in Valhalla would need a small patch as it is mainly about game's mechanics, no graphics at all.
    They constantly navigate between the RPG genre and the action combat genre à la AC without setting a clear course. At the end of the day AC fans are disappointed, and RPG fans are disappointed too.

Valhalla is a beautiful game, but its mechanics are bested by half a dozen of android/smartphone RPG games (and by almost all RPG games of 80s-90s ... *sigh* 😞 an astonishingly beautiful shell, with a rotten heart.

• DJAM3R
    11 posts

@alphagoose46219
    Yeah I noticed that too. I was playing as male Eivor, and people were referring to me as "she"

• longjohn119
    484 posts
    @longjohn119

Hi Longjohn,

I think you will find ESO really enjoyable, make sure to get some of the mods that really add quality of life improvements. I play solo, the only guild I have joined in ESO is the trading guild as that's the only way to sell your stuff. (Im 54 and none of my friends play games either so its solo all the way for me too)

There is very little you cant do as a solo player, even the wee dungeons(delves) on each map are for solo players and some of the bigger dungeons are manageable for many players solo when they are higher leveled.

I love the crafting and levelling my characters. There are main quests on each map with little story arcs to complete and loads of materials to gather and vistas to check out as well as the delves and sidequests helping towns people, its really lovely.

I adored Skyrim for the mods and the role-playing and customisation and the funny npcs and stories and the ESO online is really good for those features now too. Of course The Witcher 3 is sublime and Blood and Wine DLC my very favourite all time Witcher DLC. So put ESO on that list of yours, even without the companion system I think you will love it. 🙂

Oh and regarding your other posts about google user rating, Id probably put Odyssey above Origins because it was way more RPGish but Origins was a lovely game too. Odyssey for me is below those 2 and maybe even below the London Assassin game as I really enjoyed that wee tour of London and playing as the twins. Size isn't as important to me as replayability. 🙂

I greatly enjoyed playing around with the assassin tools that the twins have, nothing like a good berserk dart to get the job done!

I also rate Odyssey over Origins but a I really liked both .... For me it's Odyssey then Black Flag then Origins or really Black Flag/Origins second depending on my mood (I really dislike the follow quests in Black Flag but everything else I love)

Thanks for the tips on ESO, frankly I didn't think you could mod it because most online multiplayer games don't allow it but I did take a peek on Nexus and saw there were some graphical mods (Mostly reshades it look like) but also some inventory management stuff. I also hear the online community isn't nearly as toxic as most online multiplayer games which is why I quit playing them probably 15 years ago. Although I did run a server and racing league for Papyrus NASCAR Racing from 2001 - late 2006 but that was a mostly closed server and league to keep the riff raff and wreckers out

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics