Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• AlphaGoose46219
    157 posts

@garbo3 Maybe bug free in 2025!

• DJAM3R
    11 posts

I agree in an a lot of ways, but to begin with It's way more of a hassle to play offline with valhalla. I've literally never had that many issues with playing a game offline. That will always be ridiculous, when it comes to a single player game.

• DJAM3R
    11 posts

@donjuan2000
    That is literally the only thing In the exploration I prefer in Valhalla. I just got sick of the randomized loot in AC odyssey. That said collecting the loot was a lot more fun in Odyssey, and not lazy like in Valhalla

• DJAM3R
    11 posts

@longjohn119
    Lol games that get review bombed usually deserve it

• DJAM3R
    11 posts

@torfinr
    Don't get me wrong, I have my own reasons to dislike Valhalla and I love myself a good RPG, but how is Valhalla even an RPG ?

• Garbo3
    648 posts

@alphagoose46219 yes please !

• AlphaGoose46219
    157 posts

@djam3r Your right, its not a RPG at all!
    It's a linear story with fake choices, played the game 3 times 753 hrs due to having the brewing storm bug (replayed the game after 56 lost hrs) and again a new run after i got my new series x.
    Did the main quests with different choices and the outcome was exact the same, only Sigurd's opinion at the end will be different.
    Complete hilarious is when you take different dialog options, the answers/reactions are literally the same.
    Gender choice; Eivor is a woman, there is a interview with the writer on youtube

and he only talks about "she"!
    So the whole gender choice is typical UBisoft hypocritical / political chicken.........

• pesto.
    118 posts

Valhalla was never going to be every game, honestly the weak points are bugs and the game itself is good.

You have to remember that AC isn’t a Rockstar game where they burn out thousands of artists in sweatshops in Asia over a ten year period to make one game that will make a billion dollars. Instead Ubisoft burn out a thousand artists in Quebec over a 2 year period and make a few hundred million. It’s much more humanitarian with far lower chance of the Polish government threatening to send you to jail because of your bugs than working for CD Project Red for example.

It’s also unlikely to result in a game that’s all things to all men. There just isn’t time. Ubisoft make beautiful environments and props but when it comes to the mechanics and mission structure it feels like a series of presets that they drop in with different configurations for each game. Where Valhalla’s world may feel hand built and full of detail none of the mechanics or story has that same bespoke feel. It has a samey proceduralness that makes the choices and gameplay actions we make feel strangely inconsequential.

I would love to see as much time spent on the story paths, side missions and various sub-games as is obviously spent on the visuals. I think for many players yes these are entertainment but they’re also games as art and that’s why it’s more annoying when you spot stuff that lets it down.

• TORFINR
    351 posts

@pesto We do agree.
    But adding real RPG elements isnt that complicated, and they have done it in the past (Odyssey took the correct direction, Origins was also promising). We're not asking them here to invest time and energy for something complicated, but to stay true to themselves with the RPG elements. Why add RPG elements with stats on items, levels, skills, passive skills, and such if it isnt to make them behave like true RPG elements?!?
    Making the RPG system work in Valhalla would need a small patch as it is mainly about game's mechanics, no graphics at all.
    They constantly navigate between the RPG genre and the action combat genre à la AC without setting a clear course. At the end of the day AC fans are disappointed, and RPG fans are disappointed too.

Valhalla is a beautiful game, but its mechanics are bested by half a dozen of android/smartphone RPG games (and by almost all RPG games of 80s-90s ... *sigh* 😞 an astonishingly beautiful shell, with a rotten heart.

• DJAM3R
    11 posts

@alphagoose46219
    Yeah I noticed that too. I was playing as male Eivor, and people were referring to me as "she"

• longjohn119
    547 posts
    @longjohn119

Hi Longjohn,

I think you will find ESO really enjoyable, make sure to get some of the mods that really add quality of life improvements. I play solo, the only guild I have joined in ESO is the trading guild as that's the only way to sell your stuff. (Im 54 and none of my friends play games either so its solo all the way for me too)

There is very little you cant do as a solo player, even the wee dungeons(delves) on each map are for solo players and some of the bigger dungeons are manageable for many players solo when they are higher leveled.

I love the crafting and levelling my characters. There are main quests on each map with little story arcs to complete and loads of materials to gather and vistas to check out as well as the delves and sidequests helping towns people, its really lovely.

I adored Skyrim for the mods and the role-playing and customisation and the funny npcs and stories and the ESO online is really good for those features now too. Of course The Witcher 3 is sublime and Blood and Wine DLC my very favourite all time Witcher DLC. So put ESO on that list of yours, even without the companion system I think you will love it. 🙂

Oh and regarding your other posts about google user rating, Id probably put Odyssey above Origins because it was way more RPGish but Origins was a lovely game too. Odyssey for me is below those 2 and maybe even below the London Assassin game as I really enjoyed that wee tour of London and playing as the twins. Size isn't as important to me as replayability. 🙂

I greatly enjoyed playing around with the assassin tools that the twins have, nothing like a good berserk dart to get the job done!

I also rate Odyssey over Origins but a I really liked both .... For me it's Odyssey then Black Flag then Origins or really Black Flag/Origins second depending on my mood (I really dislike the follow quests in Black Flag but everything else I love)

Thanks for the tips on ESO, frankly I didn't think you could mod it because most online multiplayer games don't allow it but I did take a peek on Nexus and saw there were some graphical mods (Mostly reshades it look like) but also some inventory management stuff. I also hear the online community isn't nearly as toxic as most online multiplayer games which is why I quit playing them probably 15 years ago. Although I did run a server and racing league for Papyrus NASCAR Racing from 2001 - late 2006 but that was a mostly closed server and league to keep the riff raff and wreckers out

• Cell1e
    174 posts

@longjohn119

Black Flag was surprisingly good, I wasn't too keen on the hero, oh Gosh he was awful but somehow I ended up liking him. Loved the exploring in the ship and island hopping and like you I HATED those follow quests, I think most of us did. I must get back to that game, I agree its definitely up there in AC game list.

The mods for ESO are quality of life improvements, you will see when you start playing, I'm using minion and for my mods(add-ons) for ESO although Im usually a mod manager fan. Minion works best for ESO I think.

The players are fine, I havent had issues with any but I don't do groups so play very little attention to the chat box. Good luck with ESO! I wish I was a new player again, I love that feeling of excitement and discovering new and interesting things to do in my games..

• scruntinsly
    9 posts

I think Valhalla is huge step back compared to Odyssey. I know that the other studio at Ubisoft made this game. This I dislike most about this game

1. story very weak
    2. the markers in the game are horrible
    3. the difficulty is nonexistent, the game at hard is just to easy
    4. combat is boring and lacks the different abilities that Odyssey had
    5. THE AMOUNT OF BUGS IS MIND NUMBING, HOW IS THERE STILL BUGS FROM 6 MONTHS AGO THAT ARE PREVENTING PEOPLE FROM FINISHING THE GAME NOT FIXED?
    6. How was the game released with so many bugs?
    7. Why are mastery point in Valhalla worthless compared to Odyssey

I can keeping going on. I think this game is 2 steps back from Odyssey. They SHOULD have let the studio that made Odyssey make this because this one clearly is clueless.

• macsneedy
    4 posts

@katzenkrimis71 wrote:

I'm the opposite of you. I played Odyssey for 283 hours and I hated it by the time I got to the end of the expansions. In fact, I even quit the game a couple of hours before the finish line because I just couldn't take it anymore.

For one, the writing in Odyssey is bloody awful. And so is most of the voice acting. Valhalla is much improved in that department. The writing is sick and twisted, even funny at times. And with so many characters dying, it feels much more realistic.

couldn't disagree more. melissanthi mahut's voice acting for kassandra was some of the best i've heard, and it was perfectly matched with the animation, which is probably the most expressive i've ever seen in a video game. and the writing in odyssey was so much better. the stories in valhalla are dull by comparison. all in all valhalla is a bit of a dud. the abilities and UI, switching between melee bars, separate assassin skills, combat mechanics, key mapping, ship combat - it's all better in odyssey.

• scruntinsly
    9 posts

I think the Quebec team did a horrible job on Valhalla compared to odyssey.

The combat reminds me of Origins combat, boring and lack luster compared to Odyssey.

The loot system in Valhalla is awful compared to Odyssey.

As much as i as i hate the random loot in Odyssey, it was 1000 times better tehn valhalla.

I really think Valhalla hs a lot of issues. The main issue is the bugs. How can a game be released with as many bugs as valhalla had and still has.

More then likely i WILL NEVER BUY ANIOTHER UBISOFT GAME AGAIN. THERE IS NOT EXCUSE EXCEPT GREED TO EXPLAIN WHY THE GAME WAS RELEASED IN THE CONDITION IT WAS. THE MANAGER OF THE QUEBEC TEAM SHOULD BE FIRED

How is there still game breaking bugs for 6 months after release? all these bugs should have been fixed prior to release.

• Ken_Koerperich
    52 posts

As stated, the "shell" of the game is beautiful.

"Core" of the game is severe poo poo.

3 AC's in a row w/ the stupid, hey, I'm gonna jump on this wall/fence/whatever and do the "chicken dance" I'm stuck like a fool here...

Combat, really, stand in place w/ dagger going, I stab, stab, stab, stab, oh hey, let's do a spin stab...uggh, target isn't even close so 4 of 5 stabs strike diddly squat...

Cut scenes that you know for a fact are "canon" ones, so playing as a "MALE" makes it look stupid...

Several instances of being refered to as the "canon/female" version, yet you're playing as a male....

Nudity filter, really? Only one scene so far I've found, with boobies....Why have a filter when there is nothing for it to FILTER???

Quest glitches galore...

Severe bug, when I upgraded to PS5 version, my whole save file VANISHED...180hrs wiped, and had to start over....UGGGHHH!!!

List goes on, I really wish they would fix this....As it's going, once ESO Blackwood comes out this is going into the TRASH!

• longjohn119
    547 posts
    I think the Quebec team did a horrible job on Valhalla compared to odyssey.

The combat reminds me of Origins combat, boring and lack luster compared to Odyssey.

The loot system in Valhalla is awful compared to Odyssey.

As much as i as i hate the random loot in Odyssey, it was 1000 times better tehn valhalla.

I really think Valhalla hs a lot of issues. The main issue is the bugs. How can a game be released with as many bugs as valhalla had and still has.

More then likely i WILL NEVER BUY ANIOTHER UBISOFT GAME AGAIN. THERE IS NOT EXCUSE EXCEPT GREED TO EXPLAIN WHY THE GAME WAS RELEASED IN THE CONDITION IT WAS. THE MANAGER OF THE QUEBEC TEAM SHOULD BE FIRED

How is there still game breaking bugs for 6 months after release? all these bugs should have been fixed prior to release.

When this turned out to be a dud I started playing highly modded versions of Skyrim and currently The Witcher 3 and there is a ton of loot everywhere and they are considered to be 2 of the best games in the genre ...... Frankly I don't understand the "Less loot is better" argument or the "30 hour games are better than 100 hour games" argument .....

Lot's of recent press this week saying nothing has changed at Ubisoft over the last year, it's still a Toxic Hellhole to work at and it shows in the quality of the games ..... 99% of bankruptcies and business failures are caused by bad management not bad workers .... People who are at the top of their field as Programmers or Engineers don't stick around and take a lot of crap, they move on first chance they get and I think that is what has happened at Ubisoft, the cream of the crop has left the company. I suspect that's why they are having such a bad problem with the PC ports, the people who originally coded the AnvilNext game engine are no longer around and no one left has the chops .... Coding a game using a game engine is one thing and developing a game engine itself is an entirely different level and skill set ......

• Cell1e
    174 posts

@scruntinsly

Yes I agree with you that the story is VERY weak. It also kind of meanders and is too dark for my personal taste, I draw the line at young ones being killed off in games without very good reason. Usually in games you have the big baddy that you fight against, there was no black and white in this game, no big baddy, the story was mainly about making allies and then helping Siguard with some stuff at the end.

The assassin stuff was very low priority and I do believe this game should never have been an assassins creed game, just a viking game.

As a standalone viking game I might have felt differently about it. (Although I probably wouldn't have bought it as I'm so not into vikings- barbaric as they were)

I bought this game for the assassins creed experience and didn't get that.

It was a nice game lacking a soul with lots of bugs and really not so nice that I would go there again, only maybe to try out some more mods from nexus which is the only way I was able to finish it all these months after installing it.

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics