Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Charlie_v_Braun
    Original poster 20 posts

So I just got back into the game for the DLC, and I couldn't help but notice how bad the animations of the characters are across the board, but especially the general movement - walking through Dublin for the first time, moving the camera around Eivor, I had only one question: how did this walking style pass as good enough? And what happened? Even AC1 had better walking and fighting animations than this...it is so bad I cannot tell if my character is running or sprinting, it is especially bad on ropes and such...and it looks funny at it's best.

I have complained about many things in this game, the bad writing, the lack of interesting characters, 1H swords missing and so on - but the main thing ruining the gameplay are the animations - it is not fun to move around in this world, not fun to fight. This would be my #1 wish for another update: Just do a copy/paste from AC Origins or Odyssey...shouldn't be too hard to do - and please get back to the quality you once had (my favourite animation was AC Unity)! I remember the main thing that made me want to play the first AC was the way Altair moved...

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• katzenkrimis71
    162 posts

The main thing ruining the gameplay are the animations.

===

Can't say the animations in this game bother me. They are acceptable, but they have never really stood out as particularly amazing.

I think the horse riding animations are pretty good, considering they suck in every other video game. The swimming animations are also pretty good, considering they suck in every other video game. Those are the two that I notice most because I used to be a killer swimmer and I've watched a lot of horse racing.

Combat animations are pretty bad. And I'm not speaking from experience there.

• eternal_vikingr
    7 posts
    I have complained about many things in this game, the bad writing, the lack of interesting characters, 1H swords missing and so on - but the main thing ruining the gameplay are the animations - it is not fun to move around in this world, not fun to fight. This would be my #1 wish for another update: Just do a copy/paste from AC Origins or Odyssey...shouldn't be too hard to do - and please get back to the quality you once had (my favourite animation was AC Unity)!

1. "bad writing, lack of interesting characters, 1H swords missing"

• You're talking about Odyssey here right? Replace, in your sentence, "1H swords" with "shields" & it's the exact same complaint.
    • Let's say you claim this statement is false. Facts are, Odyssey's writing was truly abysmal, as a game overall & nevermind an AC game.
    • Way I see it, Valhalla's prophecy is Quality > Quantity. Where Odyssey is only quantity & zero quality.

2. "but the main thing ruining the gameplay are the animations"

• The player's animations in Valhalla are a step up from Origins & Odyssey. This is just... true. The difference is pretty marginal, but still there.
    • Agree, we haven't had good animations since Unity. When the AC team put all their effort into revolutionary animation technology. Just for the consumers to take a big steaming dump on it. Look where the games are now & where they're going.
    • Why would they ever dream of putting nearly as much work into their animation work when obviously the mass majority of goopy braindead gamers couldn't/wouldn't care.

• eternal_vikingr
    7 posts

This was going to be an edit to my previous post...

AC games used to have their own unique identities. They done interesting, new, things. It is incredibly unlikely & grows even more so each passing day, that AC games will return to such a phase. I do like to think that Valhalla is sort of... Trying to go back a little, with it being the first game since Unity to have consistent AC gameplay, imagery & lore in the world. It [Valhalla] is nowhere near the same level for me as Unity, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying Valhalla comes the closest out of the most recent games.

That's just the sad truth. I'm enjoying my time with Valhalla for now, then I'll move onto something else.

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics