Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Yesin069
    Original poster 554 posts

As always: a fantastic video from LazerzZ regarding Ubisoft and Assassin'S Creed.

Regarding the way Ubisoft treats their biggest franchise and how they said out loud that what they plan in the future (more free2play, more mobile etc.), this is a good time to hold back the purchase of future titles on launch. They are now happy that Valhalla made them a lot of money, but we all should play our part that this never happens again. Valhalla is far from being the best game in the franchise and also didn't sell the best but it made them the most money because of more aggressive microtransactions and no care in delaying the the game or fixing bugs faster.

After some shitstorms they slowed down the new pack releases from evere 2 weeks to every 3 or 4 weeks. Now they silentlky gone back to every 2 weeks, thinking this won't be noticed. The game is still severely flawed and core mechanics like combat numbers and rune enhancement still don't work. Not forgetting about all the bugs that take ages to get fixes, while they poor devs need to release those boring time-limited-events and game modes.

Many people are not able to save the game properly or finish main quests in the main game and what does Ubisoft do...they release story DLC and hotfixes for that DLC, instead of focusing on the main game first that everybody bought. Not everybody owns the season pass and there are still people that does not finish the main game still.

Also do not forget tha harassement inside the company from last summer that seems to be forgotten by now.

Throw those people out and change the management that let those people do their business for years without any trouble!

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• isuwhat
    188 posts

@yesin069 will be interesting to 1. see if and how Ubisoft would respond to this excellent and informative video and 2. how long this post potentially lasts on the forum.......none of it posts them as a company in good light....well except for how good the social stealth was in the early games

• katzenkrimis71
    160 posts

A fantastic video from LazerzZ regarding Ubisoft and Assassin'S Creed.

====

I used to listen to him a fair bit. He's long-winded. He used to sit on the fence a lot. Play both sides as to not offend anybody.

Good to see he's finally picking a side, but I feel like these videos have been done to death. Same rambling complaints about the same topics. It used to be a good series, now it's a bad series. Bring up Black Flag. Bring up the Witcher III again. Talk about a grind that doesn't exist, because grinding is what you get from a MMO, not Valhalla. Beat the dead horse about how the harassment incident was handled. More talk about microtransactions.

I've never purchased a microtransaction in my life, for any game. The way this Assassin's Creed franchise is going, I really don't think Ubisoft is listening to this guy at all.

A few months ago I played through Solasta: Crown of the Magister. Tactical Adventures was listening intently to the feedback that they were getting as the game was being developed. You don't see that very often. They are a much smaller company, so obviously that happens, but even Larian Studios still listens to their fans. And inXile Entertainment does, too, for Wasteland III, which was nominated for RPG of the year.

However, Ubisoft has over 18,000 employees and Valhalla made truckloads of dough. They are far too big. The last thing they care about is anything that this guy has to say. It would take an internet swarm. A dog-pile like we've never seen before for Ubisoft to start listening to community complaints and changing the direction of their games. Plain and simple, there aren't enough people that hate Valhalla.

• Yesin069

True words. I also never ever touched any microtransaction but after the buggy launch, the bad "free content" the bad update support, the time they need to fix bugs, the time it takes for updates to release and the time i needed to stop playing and waiting for updates made me make the decision to stop playing their games.

It is just sad how they treat this great unique franchise.

• isuwhat
    188 posts

the hashtag has gotten some traction on twitter and now quite a few gaming sites are posting about it, Game Rant, IBN and plenty of others. Plus youtubers are picking up on it too, Jorraptor who has a large reach talked about it last night. Well done for spreading the word.

So Ubi have by now surely been made aware of this by now.

• Yesin069

@isuwhat

Great news there!

I sadly expect nothing to change because Valhalla made them so much money that they will go on this path. There is no issue for me with the new RPG route they took, but the microtransactions and live-service stuff they force into this singleplayer franchise started destroying all the great things about those games.

They stopped being about assassins in great settings and became just games in different settings. A new IP would be better for that. Than they could implement all their fantasy stuff in those games, and let AC be about assassins and more grounded in reality with some sci-fi stuff here and there.

• isuwhat
    188 posts

@yesin069 for me its all about the creating a safe work environment for the people that work at the company and its great to see people speak out to echo and encourage that.

Vice have even written an article about it and has an response from Ubi at the end:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/z3x4x9/why-holdubisoftaccountable-is-trending-right-now

Everything in relation to the game and the practices involved in that are open to debate and most i think would agree change towards games themselves won't probably come from our feedback or dislike of certain aspects of the games.

what is worrying is ive noticed on twitter members of the discord channel are getting bans if they post about the hashtag

• Yesin069

@isuwhat

For me it is also the most important thing that their work space is safe. This will also make the games better when they can stop forcing gender choices on us and just make a full game with just a playable woman. I am a man and I would have no problem with that. Just let the games be more focused without any politics or thinking that women dont sell games.

Also higher ups at Ubisoft that cancelled the Ubisoft Quebec game with an King Arthur setting which should have been an fantasy rpg should stop. Ubisoft clearly wants fantasy stuff in their games, so why the hell the higher ups dont let them make a new IP with that stuff. An open world medieval fantasy rpg like Witcher would be a great new IP for them. Instead they try to copy stuff from The Witcher into every franchise of them where it does not belong.

Ubisoft has very great devs that are passionate and great people. I think most of them would have loved to follow Darby McDevitt and leave that company but are too afraid to have no job or get less money (which is understandable). Darby was able to leave this mess because he is publicly known and loved and can be independent. I am sure there are also other devs as talented and great as him that are just too afraid to leave Ubisoft behind.

I really would love to see a competely new management because no one can tell me that they didnt hear anything about those harrassements in all those years. They let this all happen or even were part of it.

CDPR got so much hate for releasing a broken game which they are now fixing but were is the hate for Ubisoft when they do things like harrassing and abusing women and men in their work environment? Guys like Ashraf Ismail went and now they think everything is fine because 3 publicly known people left the company? What is with all the unknown people?

• Yesin069

Video from Fizhy:

Video from LongEaredFox:

Now nearly the whole cast of the Four Pillars done a video - just Tynamite missing! Great work from those guys. JorRaptor just mentioned this in a sentence on the side after praisind the "fantastic" new stuff at Reda's shop and other "great" things to come. Those guys go the right way in stopping showing anything from AC or Ubisoft in general. This will make them loose many viewers but they didn't sell their soul for money like JorRaptor or other guys that make daily AC videos.

I also love this IP but when you want to be heard by Ubisoft, he only way is to vote with our wallets!

• isuwhat
    188 posts

@yesin069 go to 11.33 for Jor's chat on it, he defo seems to care about it for all the right reasons. I know he gets hammered for pushing the helix store

• isuwhat
    188 posts

@yesin069 its a bold and brave move for content creators to make a stand and say enough is enough and they won't cover the company until change happens. More power to the ones that are doing that.

• Yesin069

@isuwhat

I watched his video (with adblocker of course) but this is just not enough. He is one of the biggest ones who always gives helix store items the most attention and says how "cool" this stuff looks. If you dislike those practices dont show them everyday in your videos and dont make giveaways in every single AC video for helix credits.

I also dont excuse those practices when those guys say that they just want to show us the items. We can all see them in the Animus Shop if we want and look at the perks. No need to always make free marketing for Ubisoft the point a new gear set releases. I i were a youtuber and i am againts stuff like that i dont show anything about it and just make videos like Fizhy or LazerzZ how bad those microtransaction practices are. They need to get shown just under heavy criticism and not just "to show us the gear".

I always dislike this guy because he just mentions this # because it is getting some attention and every guy who cares about it, made a whole dedicated video about it. I dont believe anyone that he or she cares about this stuff, when he or she just in the same video promoted helix items that we can get from Reda for "free". We should never forget that Reda is just a trap to get us into buying stuff with real money, by giving us some "free" stuff here and there but never a whole set.

I just want Ubisoft and the great devs their to be able to work freely and be creative without being forced into Ubisoft formulas or blancing games for XP boosters and microtransactions in singleplayer games. Just be free to make protagonists women, men or apes if you want. Just dont force yourselves into any agendas from the management.

• longjohn119
    551 posts

@yesin069
    "Also do not forget tha harassement inside the company from last summer that seems to be forgotten by now."

Actually there has been at least 6 different articles on that just this week saying basically nothing has changed at Ubisoft and their stock price took a 9% hit on Wednesday after their earning report

• Yesin069

@longjohn119

The only thing they did is, getting rid of the people that are known in public.

Also guys like Ashraf Ismail left Ubisoft before he got fired by them. He was the only one who gone this way and to be honest I dont think he is an evil person. He cheated on his wife, which is his problem and flexed with his position in Ubisoft to get the women. Most guys in our society flex with their jobs or cars or anything materialistic to get women (not me but I hope you know what I mean). I dont excuse that he chated on his wife and destroyed her mentality or that he used Ubisoft internal stuff to get women but I didn't read that he harassed or abused women. These things were done by other guys, which still work for Ubisoft, and just got delegated to other positions or studios. At least he had some honour and left Ubiosft directly when this got public. The other guys dosnt seem to care and go on their way...

At least Serge Hascoet got fired and hopefully will never be seen again. High praise again for guys like Darby McDevitt. In those hard times, he was a shining light in this company and done all the marketing work and talked with the community. I wish him just the best and i am happy for him that he finally left Ubisoft and can work free now. I will definately play the games he will write in the future.

PS: If I said wrong things about Ashraf, I am sorry but this is what I read about him in comparison to the other guys at Ubisoft. Maybe he also harassed women, then he is the same dirt than the others who did that.

• longjohn119
    551 posts

@yesin069 The problem is the people that are at the top of their game as Programmers and Engineers don't put up with this kind of crud, they just just move on because they can always find other work ..... I suspect the problem with Valhalla and the AnvilNext game engine is the people who originally wrote it and understand it and know how to fix problems moved on so the company is suffering from Brain Drain ......

I know this from personal experience, I quit 2 jobs where the management was just insufferable and it only took me 6 weeks to find a new and better job the first time and the second time less than 3 weeks and both jobs were a step up in pay, benefits and working environment ... The only reason I left that last company I worked for was because I wanted to start my own more focused business and I still talk to my old boss from time to time and even do a little consulting for him on their larger jobs

Good or bad, Reputation is everything in professional fields and if a company gets a bad reputation the best workers leave and people looking for new work avoid even applying to them if they can find other places ..... If an engineer or programmer has a good reputation they'll never have problems finding work

• Yesin069

@longjohn119

Of course programmers and any IT-related guy or woman will find a new job in the gaming industry easy. It is just so that people often dont want to change a running system and have fear to search for new jobs. Sadly most people live with their job even tough they hate the managment - just to be safe and have no worries or stress to find a new jobs. Often it is the best decision to just quitt and start new. It will be harder at the start but in the longterm this is the way to hapiness.

The Anvil Engine is just a broken mess when looked at with modern standards. It was build mostly for urban environments and parcour in mind. Not some witcher 3-style open world rpg. I said it already in 2016 that they should move to the Snowdrop Engine from The Division. This engine is much more modern and not filled with useles stuff from 2007. Hopefully they will build a new engine for the true next-gen AC. We saw what they did with Unity and it looked fantastic but the devs need to get proper time. Unity should have had at least 1 or 2 years more dev time and it would have been the best AC title to date.

As I often said, i never blame the devs when i criticise Ubisoft. Sadly I know exactly how managers of huge companies think and this often makes me just sad that we have to live in world like that. Money goes over everything and the people with money and power can treat the people under their sleeves as they wish. Just some devs with stronger personalities are able to excape from this toxic workspaces. Others live with it until they retire or die...

• axlslak23
    100 posts

I would be very upset if Ubi decided to censor this type of feedback. But to their credit... they didn't.

And just as I was watching these videos, I was thinking to myself if we actually have the standing to go against Abstergo. I mean, we can threaten to not buy their products. Which I am totally down with, for all the same reasons. But somehow I think they kinda prepared for that in their strategy to go for broader appeal.

From my point of view, it's like a swan song. The last lament before a death. There's nothing else to do but part ways. And there's nothing more painful than a breakup in my opinion. And this particular one hits very hard for me.

Except other people have found solace in playing older titles. I feel like even those are tainted. I can't enjoy them anymore. It's like trying to watch a Kevin Spacey movie.

Turns out... some people work in the dark and do dark things. And other people work in the light and still do dark deeds. Personally, i feel dirty. How did that happen in months I don't know. But it's without precedent for me.

• longjohn119
    551 posts

@yesin069 The problem is management often doesn't know doodley squat about what they are managing ..... Often even the game directors don't have all that much hands on experience with the actual programming of games .... CDPR is an excellent example of that, the company was founded by and run by 4 game salesmen that don't really know a thing about programming but managed to hire some people who did ... The problem there is after the success of Witcher 3 management got it in their heads that they were the ones that made it successful and tried to force things into Cyberpunk that just weren't possible on the limited power of last gen consoles and/or needed more development time. So we ended up with a broken game stripped of many features that still couldn't run worth a damn on last gen and nerfed the game for new gen and PC .... I just finished playing through the main Witcher 3 game and am starting on the DLC expansions which I've never played and that game is still heads and tails above Valhalla or Cyberpunk especially with the upgraded textures, quality of life and other mods. I can't wait to see what the next next gen version with Ray Tracing and DLSS 2.0 look like later this year when it comes out. In fact I made a few highlight videos and plan on recording a complete playthrough when the upgraded version come out later this year

I think we are seeing a lot of that here with Valhalla also. Ashraf Ismail tried to stuff in too many ideas and changes the game engine on last gen just isn't capable of doing and I bet he doesn't really have all that good of chops at actual programming .... A game director often is just a management guy not an actual programmer. I bet if you compare the credits of Origins with the credits of Valhalla you'll find a lot of the key top level programmers for Origins aren't present for Valhalla. It's much the same with Electronics Engineering, most management types would only hurt themselves if you put a soldering pencil in the hands.

• DreadGrrl
    165 posts

@yesin069 A mountain of stuff came out about Ashraf Ismail (with receipts). He’s rotten to the core.

This last summer, Cas Anvar (Altair) was exposed as being just as rotten as Ismail (also with receipts).

This culture of exploitation is engrained in the Ubisoft boys club. Who knows how deep it actually runs.

• longjohn119
    551 posts

@dreadgrrl Hey there .... Hope things are going well for you up there in the Great White North .....

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics