Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• ruanseth
    Original poster 32 posts

There seems to have been a change in cloud and water (ocean) rendering in the Wrath of the Druids DLC resulting in some very ugly artefacts, as shown below. The clouds also become way too dark, and almost black at times. The two shots are both taken at Ultra Settings, with a clean cfg, and all nVidia profile settings at default.

Something appears to have gone very wrong with changes made to the DLC and I hope it can be looked at, as it really spoils the look of the game in these circumstances.
    undefined

Main game, similar position, height, time of day, same settings, but looking far, far better.
    undefined

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• D4rKy26
    64 posts

@ruanseth i noticed this aswell specially in cutscenes when u see them clouds they look kinda blocky.

• ruanseth
    Original poster 32 posts

@d4rky26 Yes, there seems to be more noise and pixelation in them as well. They just look bad a lot of the time, whereas in the main game the clouds and weather look stunning.

Here is another shot. They might look dramatic, but overall they look pretty unrealistic. Notice how any atmospheric perspective, and haze on the far mountains is not applied to the clouds, making them look far too dark for the conditions. Something is not right with the weather.... and it rains too much, even for Ireland 😬 undefined

• D4rKy26
    64 posts

@Ubisoft u guys got allot of fixing to do in this dlc hopefully it will be done in the june update the crashings are the worse besides the weird weather effects its not fun to play a game like this.

• ruanseth
    Original poster 32 posts

While I'm at it, the night sky lighting/weather is IMO broken as well, with the sky being totally desaturated, giving it a weird unbalanced look. If the space between clouds was darker it would look better, as this simply looks horrible. I hope this was all unintentional as it might get fixed. Otherwise they have ruined an amazing looking game.
    undefined

Again, here is the main game at night, which looks really nice at night, with sky and terrain nicely balanced.
    undefined

• katzenkrimis71
    191 posts

Rendering

===

Yes, this game is a technical mess, a visual mess...

And not getting any better with age.

It almost seems like after release they hired a bunch a noobs to work on the game, while the more talented employees were given new projects to work on.

• meanhx
    11 posts

@ruanseth Can confirm that I noticed the same thing on my pc a few days ago, mostly at the coast looking at the ocean or when synchronizing. Was thinking about posting a few picks, but since you posted picks that shows the same thing that I have seen (mostly the ocean almost looking "noisy") I don´t need to. I have also noticed the colors feeling "not 100% right" in the DLC, mostly during the night, but I couldn´t quite put my finger on what is wrong. It´s a bit like the colors used are "washed out" or that the night are grey and not black compared to the base game. Your picks helped me see that the sky is the potential difference here.
    Playing the game on a 5900x/6800xt system, a 1440p monitor and no HDR.

• ruanseth
    Original poster 32 posts

@meanhx Thank you for your observations, confirming my own. I hope Ubisoft respond, as I would consider the weather, and artefacts resulting from it are visual bugs. The clouds in Ireland in real life are no different to those in England, or anywhere else, so this must be and oversight, as they could not intend it to look this way.

Please flag this as a technical issue and pass it on the dev team for evaluation, and a fix.

• Smrtiak.SVK
    153 posts

Yes, exactly, these clouds looks total different, maybe it is because another studio was working on this expansion? So maybe these clouds was made by different people... But I think both are good, in world there are many types of clouds in fact, so I am okay with that. undefined
    undefined

• ruanseth
    Original poster 32 posts

@smrtiak-svk No, they just look wrong, including your shot, which maybe slightly less offensive, but shows overdark weird browns and blue hues. You can't honestly say the shots I posted look good?

The weather rendering is broken, simple as that.

• Smrtiak.SVK
    153 posts

@ruanseth I think they just looks darker, like dark clouds when raining, in fact it looks more realistic when raining from this dark clouds...

• Freestepper
    119 posts
    While I'm at it, the night sky lighting/weather is IMO broken as well, with the sky being totally desaturated, giving it a weird unbalanced look. If the space between clouds was darker it would look better, as this simply looks horrible. I hope this was all unintentional as it might get fixed. Otherwise they have ruined an amazing looking game.

Nights never looked good in AC games, at least since Origins. But Valhalla with this DLC took it too far. The night can't really be called night at all anymore. It's just grey and washed out and extremely bright. It's not nice nor fun.

• RivereyesGR
    12 posts

Thank you for the sanity check!

I hadn't played Valhalla in months and when I returned for Wrath of the Druids, I could immediately tell that something was horribly off about the colors. Everything appeared to be washed out, even when I dimmed Brightness and Contrast to 2-3. I stream to my TV via Nvidia Shield (which also received a firmware update recently) so I was unsure whether it was due to the Shield updating or the game itself. Something else that might be of interest as well : AC Valhalla had a proper tuning profile in GeForce Experience prior to Wrath of the Druids launching.

Post DLC, the profile went crazy, suggesting that I should play on 1920 X 1080 on Low-Med on a 5900X/2080S (I beat the main game on 4K/Ultra averaging 35-40FPS which to me, was quite satisfactory for the eye candy). So there's definitely something wrong under the hood.

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics