Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Achilleus-
    Original poster 19 posts

Can someone tell me what we are supposed to feel in AC Valhalla? 

Every AC has had an emotional rollercoaster, for example, you get revenge on people who kill your family and loved ones. 

What are we supposed to feel in Valhalla?

Who are we supposed to “hate”?

Everytime Alfred speaks I agree with him. The game tries to get me to hate Alfred and various other people, but they speak with wisdom and kindness.

I’m so confused what the script is doing that I started to hate Eivor and the game falls apart. Like when one of Eivor’s friends dies in Hamptunscire I was actually happy and cheering. And the Eivor animation is like “nooooooo”, and I think so what? Good riddance. The game falls apart emotionally for me.

The mission says: help Ljufvina, Guthrum, Broder, etc. and I’m sitting here hoping the next cutscene kills them.

The game has completely lost me, the “beats” aren’t working. The emotions it is shepherding me into feeling are too simple, too 21st century childlike.

Your friend is dying as you carry him and says cheerfully that they are afraid, and the script is trying to drag me into feeling sad for them. But it’s so see through. It’s like “feel this now”. And it's too late for Darby McDevitt, I already hate Eivor and all of these people. It’s like hell no I’m not feeling for this particular person, eventhough my money to Ubisoft is like “you really should”. I hate this game so much. I’ve never had that with an AC game. There were ones I liked less but never outright hated.

I’m hitting B on emotional cutscenes, when the script tries to make it even sadder it’s even more nauseating, especially when Eivor starts crying. 

Why are we fighting Alfred again? The guy speaks with wisdom and kindness.

Are we just ridiculing religious people and laughing at them? That can’t be the entire point as that gets old fast.

Someone tell me what the emotional point is? And yes, all other AC upto Odyssey had an emotional point before the 12 year olds are like just slash slash slash and kill kill kill man, there is no point.

I take it that is there are no real replies then there really is no answer to the question of who we are meant to be fighting and what we are meant to be feeling.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• katzenkrimis71
    163 posts

Someone tell me what the emotional point is?

I take it that is there are no real replies then there really is no answer to the question of who we are meant to be fighting and what we are meant to be feeling.

===

Look, I get you.

If I wrote this story it would be nothing like what it is now. If you and I both wrote this story it would be even further from the realms of reality. However, you have to view this as a video game and compare it to other video games. Video games have only been around for fifty years. Humans don't even consider writing in video games to be good. It isn't a respected medium. Bad writers are hired all the time by video game developers. They care more about the technical and visual aspects of game development then they do about the writing. Assassin's Creed Valhalla is the perfect example of that.

You probably don't know this, but Steam sold 10,263 different games last year. How many of those games would you consider had great writing?

Let me give you a hint.

Your love for King Alfred is showing. That is the sign of a great writer. He spoke sense to you. Unfortunately, this particular writer never succeeded in making you love everyone in this story. And that's his fault. He still has much to learn as a writer. I think even he would admit to that.

• davidtsmith333
    42 posts

@achilleus , re: "The game tries to get me to hate Alfred and various other people, but they speak with wisdom and kindness."

Wasn't it King Aelfred (Alfred) who turned out to be The Father/ Leader of the Order of Ancients? As it turned out in the story he inherited the title of Grandmaster from his brother....albeit reluctantly though he couldn't reveal it to other members of the Order for his own wellbeing of course. This was revealed towards the end when it was finally revealed (if you continued that far). So as it turned out he turned out to be pretty ok and if my memory serves me right he helped Eivor.

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics