Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Fortyniners354
    Original poster 46 posts

What am I missing about Vinland? It’s a beautiful zone. It looks like a lot of work went in to constructing it. But outside of being a place you need to go to in order to kill a certain mob, what is the point of spending any time there except to kill him? I managed to kill him when I was only mid-level with nothing but a club and no armor. Bing bang, and I was out of there. I left and didn’t return until just a few days ago. I had completed Ireland and really had nothing much else to do, so I decided to go back to Vineland and see what was there.

And what was there? Not much. I could gather wealth and complete mysteries, and that was about it. There certainly were no other quests. I ran around and got all carbon ingots. I managed to get enough leather and iron to buy the armor body and helmet. But what was the point? It’s not as if I needed that stuff to complete quests, and there didn’t seem to be any point in spending any more time there harvesting iron so that I could get the remainder of the armor set. Why get it if you can’t take it back to England? Granted, it’s not very powerful, but it is kind of cool looking, and now that I’m so OP I wouldn’t mind running around in gear that offered not much except good looks.

And so it looks like we have a beautifully designed zone that really has no purpose. I mean, why not just put that mini-boss somewhere in Norway and killing him there? Am I missing something?

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• katzenkrimis71
    204 posts

Vinland?

What is the point of spending any time there except to kill him?

===

No point other than that. The Vikings didn't survive long on our lands.

I think Ubisoft Montreal just wanted to show off their Canadian roots by rebuilding Newfoundland, where the Vikings landed. Almost like they'd feel guilty if they didn't. Unfortunately, their depiction of Newfoundland looks more like British Columbia.

Don't get me wrong. I live in Canada. And I've been to the northern coast of Newfoundland, where the Vikings landed. It is a nice piece of property, but it is nothing like where I live, which is in Beautiful British Columbia. Even the Ubisoft Montreal employees would admit to that. They may have a better hockey team than we do, but they don't have our landscapes.

I think Ubisoft Montreal should stick to their roots and stop Americanizing the hell out of Assassin's Creed. All this talk about finding Viking graves in New England and shipping up to Boston gives me the chills. I don't know if you've ever been to the northern coast of Newfoundland, but it looks nothing like they way they depicted it in the game. Nor did it ever, even when the Vikings arrived.

The only reason why the Vikings couldn't survive on Canadian (Vinland) territory is because our natives kicked their butts, and travel time for a bunch of furs and other trades was ridiculous. It was an economical disaster. They were better off invading England, where the gold was. Newfoundland was nothing more than a battle against Mother Nature and the natives. And that's a battle that nobody can win, even to this day.

• Garbo3
    778 posts

@fortyniners354 you can find the armour in your inventory. At the beginning you couldn't keep it but they changed their minds .
    Have you done the legendary animal?

I found Vinland as boring as Asgard and Jotunheim. As you I forgot about Vindland completely ,only went there to do that quest,and only came back after finishing the game to platinum it.

• caosck
    505 posts

at first I was a bit disappointed, because I can't get a shield in vinland ..!
    But I must admit that even if short, the experience in Vinland really enjoyed me! I use a more stealth approach, instead of ravaging the village and plundering it of riches! I avoid direct confrontations, and I move to procure supplies! (even the final duel I did more as a killer than body to body!) XD

• Fortyniners354
    Original poster 46 posts

@garbo3 Yes, i killed the legendary animal and got a bunch of leather, but that's about it. The armor I did manage to get is still not in my inventory.

• Garbo3
    778 posts

@fortyniners354 oh,that's strange,I got the outfit.I will check tomorrow to be sure and will let you know.

• thegardener25
    129 posts

@Garbo3 & @fortyniners354 . I don't think the Vinland gear appears in your inventory. I'm pretty sure it's only available as a transmog option. If you go to Gunnar, the Blacksmith at the settlement in Ravensthorpe, & Aoife in Dublin as well I think. So, I don't think the Vinland gear has any perks on it's own. But just pick a gear set in your inventory to skin over.

@katzenkrimis71 . There was an interview a few months ago with Darby McDevitt & 2 others from ubisoft. I can't remember the title of the video (on Youtube). According to McDevitt. Vinland wasn't anywhere in their plans for the game. But Yves Guillemot asked if Vinland or N America could be included in the game. The Vikings apparently didn't get there until about a century, or so later. But I think they figured that, since the Vikings didn't keep records of their exploits. They went ahead & wrote it into the game. So, maybe it's because, the vikings weren't there in 873, & because the Big Boss, suggested/requested it, they decided not to make too big a deal, even though it seems to be the location of Eivors grave in MD, & Basim seems to have been lured there.

• M0neym4ker66
    3 posts

Did you go back to the first area and talk to the hunters to go hunt the cougar? I had one that was at a lake but nothing ever happened idk if they fixed that or not.

• ChuckKatse
    283 posts

With the exception of doing the mysteries and killing the dude you went there to get nothing. Got enough Copper Ingots to just get the weapons so I had something to fight the world boss with.. Never even got any armor. Every kill I did was an assassination except for the World Boss fight.

• TheExpCoffee
    16 posts

@fortyniners354

Well, you can "transmog" (or transfigure, whatever you want) the Vinland gear with your existing equipped set for the looks alone. Other than that, not really anything to do. Vinland is just an excuse for Ubi to have mention of a land where Viking-age Scandinavians arrived in before notable central European influence. Really nothing to it.

• TheSmio
    80 posts

@fortyniners354 I'd say we probably haven't seen the whole Vinland story yet. We might never do tbf, but if you pay close attention to the modern day setting (so the cottage and the surrounding area), it's the same are that you can find in Vinland close to the synch point in the west region of the map. What does it mean? That Eivor was buried in Vinland. We just don't know why (but maybe we will, in one of the updates or DLCs). Aside from that, the point of Vinland was to make a reference to the story of AC3, which is something you probably noticed if you played that game.

Anyway, I agree the area looks a bit underutilized, but maybe that's by design. At the very least, it's a reference to AC3. There could be more story to tell however (because of Eivor's grave), so only time will tell if this is all or not.

• JCar4327
    634 posts

@thesmio I was hoping someone would mention the reference to AC3. You're right though that people who have never played AC3 probably wouldn't get the reference if they enter the cave where they killed the big boss for the region. Just as you begin to walk in the cave you can hear Juno stating that, "What was will be again". You also get to meet Connor's tribe for the first time and the ending for the story arc explains how the tribe came to be in possession of the 'Apple of Eden'. I think the whole region was added simply to appease the long time fans of the franchise.

• aanthony0329
    4 posts

@katzenkrimis71 this is actually incorrect. Recent research shows that the Vikings left because it wasn’t cost effective enough to set up shop there. There were conflicts….with an unarmed bishop that went to visit lol. But there isn’t anything “tough” about the massive number of natives there. Their Stone Age tools were laughed at. Archaeological digs don’t show conflict, other than some arrowheads. The site was abandoned because they weren’t making enough money off lumber at that period of time.

• TheNorfolkian
    533 posts

@Fortyniners354 As @thegardener25 pointed out, the fact that Vinland was not part of the original plan for the game really makes sense for why it’s so underdeveloped. While I viewed it as a pleasant diversion, the side story linking the game to AC3 and Rogue felt somewhat forced, like a rushed justification to have the region included in the game. Of course, if you ( or @TheSmio or @JCar4327 ) actually go back and play AC3 again, you may notice the geography surrounding the cave entrance of the ‘Grand Temple’ is completely different from what is presented in Valhalla. I was really miffed by this when I first noticed it, and when comparing the geographical maps of Vinland and the Frontier, there are even more dissimilarities. So yeah, they totally threw in the cave entrance and crystal ball as easter eggs without really thinking it through.

Also, the fact that there’s standing stones and some dialogue from Brendan of Clonfert in Vinland feels like a monkey wrench in the whole thing because it adds some questions that the game makes no attempts to answer. Brendan dies in 577 and Eivor is born in 847. Are we to assume Brendan of Clonfert was the first European to travel to a new continent hundreds of years before the first official Viking expedition?

It is worth adding though, that if you have played through the entire main storyline up to the real world conclusion, the Mohawk story told by Konwahawíhshon definitely reads like an extra easter egg that foreshadows the events. I had finished the storyline before the translations were deciphered, so hearing about it way after the fact was kind of interesting.

As for the Arenhare’ko:wa armor set you acquire in Vinland, it felt like a real impediment to the story that you needed to scour the map for the necessary resources in order to trade for all the pieces. A better solution would have been if the Kanien’kehá:ka had simply provided the entire set to Eivor, but at a low level, and acquiring resources would allow for it all to be upgraded. And speaking of armor, it really made no sense that Eivor couldn’t bring that armor set back with him, nor does it make sense that you can’t wear whatever armor you want to wear after killing Gorm and establishing friendly relations with the Kanien’kehá:ka. I even expected Eivor to start helping the Nynofn settlement after everything was resolved, but Vinland as a whole ceased to be part of the game beyond that point. Again, Ubisoft didn’t think it through enough to fully develop Vinland as a real in-game expansion like Ireland.

Suggested Topics