Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• kmansp31
    Original poster 48 posts

With each patch I keep hoping there will be gameplay improvements, and with each patch I remain disappointed. Things that still need to be worked on:

Raids: They are boring. Whether its the river raids or the monestaries and military camps, there is no sense of urgency; no risk vs reward. You can simply wander around and take your time because all your vikings are basically invulnerable- even if one falls, you can get him back up on his feet. The AI never smothers Eivor even when there's 8 enemy combatants nearby. It's just too easy even on the hardest difficulty. Raids should be about getting in, looting, and getting out. There should be the risk of nearby patrols reinforcing the Raid if you take too long; members of the order coming to the aid of the monestary or military camp if you take too long. If you linger too long at the raid site, there should be a risk of your viking members not getting back up when injured.

Loot: I'm sorry, but am I the only one that enjoyed Assassin's creed Odyssey and Origins loot system??? I ENJOYED finding better loot and comparing it to what I have on. The gear system in this game just absolutely SUCKS. All the good gear is SOLD in the ubisoft store, and any gear that is found in game is absolute garbage. It's shameful what Ubisoft has done here. I enjoyed the reward of finding gear and what I might get from a boss fight or mercenary/order member.

Combat: The AI is still so weak. Where as in ACO you would have to carefully plan your stealth approach through an enemy camp, in valhalla a lot of targets just stand as still as a statue, and basically present their backs to you saying "I'm ready for assassination!" Even when discovered, the AI does not coordinate in taking you down. I liked the idea of the stamina bar, but you can get the right skill points early on to basically make this feature pointless. And with all the skillpoints available, by halfway through the game you will have so many skillpoints you are basically a viking god for the rest of the game. Power level becomes meaningless.

Something else that bugs me: I've read a few articles or seen a couple interviews with Ubisoft in which they talk about how well Valhalla has sold. Indeed, I prepurchased Valhalla including the season pass based on the success of ACO and the assumption that it would deliver. I was dissapointed and regret purchasing. I should have waited until one of its many sales. I can't help but feel the Valhalla team is not picking up on the issues at hand and is feeling successful based on players purchasing valhalla based on the expectations of the previous title?

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• longjohn119
    781 posts

@kmansp31 You also notice how sparse the loot is in Valhalla when you play Skyrim or The Witcher 2 and 3 ..... One of the mainstays of a RPG is loot, lots of it with some rewarding loot every hour or 2 of game play ...... Selling loot has always been the main way to pay for upgrades for your preferred armors and weapons .... Since there is nothing of value to be had at 90% of location in Valhalla I'm just not the least bit interested in exploring the map where in a game like Skyrim or Witcher 3 you never know what kind of interesting useful gear you are going to come across

As far as selling well, it only sold well initially because just like Cyberpunk it was hyped to the max but failed to deliver on that hype and sales fell off dramatically after the first couple of weeks .... That's why you could buy the Season Pass DLC at a discount before it even came out ....

• pesto.
    181 posts

Too much loot is an issue, but randomized loot drop perks isn’t. I feel like there has to be a better way.

The two problems with too much loot are

1 - Irrelevant loot/poorer quality loot. This increases the further on in a game you get with a truly randomized system. There will come a point where you have the “best” gear and that will be well before you finish the game. So maybe solutions there would be to reduce loot drops as you progress, but increase their quality. As well as make the meta change more often, so you don’t get stuck just using one set of great gear but have to explore different perks to find a new niche and play style that works for how the game plays now.

2 - Organizing/housekeeping. There needs to be better tools for grouping and selecting loot by perk type etc when you have lots of loot and want to dismantle or sell. Or just specify favorites. Loadouts shouldn’t be a thing you unlock or have to pay for, they can be both an organizing tool and even a game mechanic a means to quick switch to the best tools for the current job.

Sort out those two areas and there would be no complaints of too much loot.

• longjohn119
    781 posts

@pesto Why would I want to wait until the game is nearly done to get the best gear? If I only get to use it for an hour then what's the point ...... For instance in Witcher 3 I had fully upgraded Cat School armor and weapons well before the end of the game and I just tore it up ..... Same in Witcher 2, as soon as I got to chapter 3 I did all the side quests that give you the best armor and weapons before I ever started any of the main missions and I just tore it up .... What's the point of have good gear if you barely get to use it?

• pesto.
    181 posts

@longjohn119 why do you need further loot drops if you’ve already got the best loot?

Its not about where you are in the story but where you are in your character progression.

• kmansp31
    Original poster 48 posts
    @kmansp31 You also notice how sparse the loot is in Valhalla when you play Skyrim or The Witcher 2 and 3 ..... One of the mainstays of a RPG is loot, lots of it with some rewarding loot every hour or 2 of game play ...... Selling loot has always been the main way to pay for upgrades for your preferred armors and weapons .... Since there is nothing of value to be had at 90% of location in Valhalla I'm just not the least bit interested in exploring the map where in a game like Skyrim or Witcher 3 you never know what kind of interesting useful gear you are going to come across

As far as selling well, it only sold well initially because just like Cyberpunk it was hyped to the max but failed to deliver on that hype and sales fell off dramatically after the first couple of weeks .... That's why you could buy the Season Pass DLC at a discount before it even came out ....

Exactly this. Spot on- this is why I enjoyed ACO so much!

• longjohn119
    781 posts

@pesto To sell so I can afford to upgrade my gear by either selling it or breaking it down for crafting resources ...... In Skyrim I can use the Arcane Enchanter to grab the enchantments and then put them on my preferred gear or to pay to upgrade my homes and homesteads .....Ditto for weapons in Origins or The Witcher 3 where you have to grind you a** off to upgrade a 6 piece Witcher School set 4 times

• pesto.
    181 posts

@longjohn119 then you don’t have the best gear yet. If you’ve already reached level cap then it’s irrelevant. There’s really no point in further loot if all you’ll do is stash or delete it and never use it.

I never said this should happen at the end of the game, merely that loot should become scarcer as you progress because lower level loot should stop dropping. For instance after a great deal of complaining and begging from the community Bungie caved in and made it so that in Destiny once you reach a certain level lower quality (green) loot drops would just turn into materials instantly rather than be picked up. This removed the need for players to constantly break down those items that were now useless to them before they filled up their inventory.

When you have a system like AC where you don’t craft but instead just get weapons and armor as the drops then lots of loot is fun for early game, but it becomes a chore for late game.

You’re searching for that one piece or stat, everything else is irrelevant. If things aren’t properly balanced then you also end up with a situation where something becomes the meta and that makes the game boring. In Odyssey it was crit chance and crit strength. Build to that and you can one shot every enemy in the game, but at the expense of the fun of trying other things out.

Some games try to solve this with crafting trees and elemental strengths and weaknesses in enemies, like Monster Hunter. This gives you a long grind to get the “best” loot, and it forces you to use different gear sets for different situations but it can become too much of a joyless nerdfest if you’re not careful where you never get to be surprised and where “best” isn’t “best for my play style” but simply “this is statistically best for dealing with this mission and enemy so suck it up and play this way if you want to win”.

I like lots of loot, but I don’t like housekeeping and I don’t like metas. I want to try out different sets and be surprised and delighted and have it make me think of different tactical approaches constantly even in the endgame. I’m sure with a little thought some solutions can be found to solve the two main problems that aren’t simply “let’s not have lots of loot”.

• kmansp31
    Original poster 48 posts

Another example: I just completed one of the Mastery trials. I actually enjoyed the challenge- it took me a few tries. Yet after finally beating the trial, I got.... nothing. Absolutely nothing. WHAT... THE.... HELL. Who at Ubisoft does not understand the concept of risk and reward??? A bad [censored] sword or bow would have been really nice!!

• longjohn119
    781 posts

@kmansp31 You got an achievement award and judging from Steam Fanboys those are more valuable than any weapon or armor .... One of their awards doesn't pop and they lose their minds ....

• pesto.
    181 posts

They should play Achievement Unlocked! https://armorgames.com/play/2893/achievement-unlocked

Seriously though, I agree with the guy, it’d be much better to get some cosmetic or piece of gear for a tough challenge. I don’t think anyone here gives a damn what either steam users or poser streamers think is important. They’re focused on themselves, not the game and their content and opinions reflect that.

Achievements are a nice bonus that feels fun when you stumble upon them by random, but honestly bragging rights are meaningless to the average SP gamer and even in MP games they’re best represented by cosmetics. No-one looks at anyone else’s achievements.p, and if you’ve ever been the kind of person to platinum games you know that it’s nothing to do with skill and everything to do with grind, the kind that takes all the fun and spontaneity out of the game, kill x enemies a certain way etc.

• longjohn119
    781 posts

@pesto That's basically my take on it .... Cripes Odyssey was out for over a year and a half and both DLCs were released before I even looked to see what achievements I got ..... All of them but two (Breaking the Limit and Your Own Medicine) one from each DLC and I don't care enough about either one to bother even trying to get them .... Mainly because they use abilities that I never used and don't care to use

I don't have any Steam Achievements for Skyrim because I bypass Steam and launch the game from SKSE out of Mod Organizer 2 and have since I got the game in December 2019

With Witcher 3 I launch the game out of Witcher 3 Mod Manager and while GOG does seem to register achievements it says I only have 6 hours and 46 minutes in the game and that was all from 2 1/2 years ago when I first got it and before I started modding it

Suggested Topics