ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• pesto.
    369 posts

The main thing I’ve realized from mastery is just how underdeveloped archery and stealth are compared to melee combat. All the combat challenges are easy outside of waiting for enemies to die from fire, the archery and stealth are much harder, or rather require much more patience.

They also highlight glitches in the game, e.g. a map where you need to kill a certain number of enemies using explosives, but where some of the oil urns required instantly smash on spawn in killing some enemies with fire that you would need to gold master the game. Or they die from an explosion but it doesn’t count because it was caused by knocking them into the urn rather than firing an arrow at it. And if you’d played previous games you’d assume poison + any fire source = explosive, not the case in Valhalla. Or the not so much glitch as behavior of enemy AI and alerting, occasional random rubber banding of distant enemies, poison not working if you don’t hang around and keep enemies in view etc. You kind of see the janky edges of the game engine with this mode more than with the game itself.

Also this is really bad game design - You have exactly the number of enemies required to do each challenge. The challenges are framed as within an area designed with one solution to get gold you have to get x points doing y deed. Spot the UX problem? You have no way of knowing how many enemies need to die a specific way until you kill one in that way and then pause, see how many points that cost and do the math, at which point you may have made it impossible to complete this challenge for gold. Better design would be “you need to kill x number of people y way”.

In general the mode makes me think someone at Ubisoft wanted to point out how bad things were in the past and get players to agree by frustrating them with examples that basically are like hardcore versions of previous AC game mechanics.

• teh_greg
    112 posts

@pesto
    The combat challenges also have their problems.

The one with fire kills + fall kills + parry was insane.

Enemies dying from hitting the wall before falling to the ground. Killing 2 full HP enemies at once if you kicked one guard into another. Getting too good RNG and accidentally killing all enemies with the fire parry rune before achieving fall kills. The rope skill (forgot the name - the "get over here" Skorpion from Mortal Kombat skill) killing enemies in one hit - I assume we were meant to use it to drag enemies into the fire.

In some of my attempts I also had to knock enemies out by holding L1 and then carrying the body into the fire for it to burn for fire kills. Peak gameplay.

• longjohn119
    1366 posts
    @longjohn119 makes me realize I would prefer 60fps updates on origins and odyssey.

I suspect that isn't going to happen because they might need to rewrite a lot of core code. One way a lot of developers got around the limited power and resources of the PS4 and Xbox One was to tie physics and other timings to the fixed 30 FPS clock so it's not just as easy as removing a frame limiter cap. For example when RDR2 PC released they had a real problem with the day/night cycle timing which was tied to the 30 FPS clock so when PC gamers with high end graphics were playing at say 90 FPS the days and night would go by 3 times faster than normal. To make matters even worse in places where the FPS got dragged down the days would last longer and where you got good FPS the days got shorter so the day length consistency was all over the place. In HZD Aloy's hair physics were tied to the 30 FPS clock and it took several months before they could code it to work with a variable FPS clock on PCs ..... You also see it a lot with clothing physics in console developed games ported to PC

• B00MSIE
    402 posts

@longjohn119

Are they also 30fps on a PC? If not, it would not be so hard, the Xbox runs on windows 10 based OS.

• longjohn119
    1366 posts

@b00msie The PC version is a port where they had to completely rewrite all the timing code and it also took the better part of a year to get working smoothly after release. It wasn't as bad as Valhalla but it was still pretty wonky in places like Athens. Or problems with it crashing about every other 6 week update I'd have to try out 3 or 4 drivers before I found one that wouldn't crash. It could be done but the time and money it would cost just can't be justified. As Valhalla proves this console native game engine is on it's last leg and is effectively End of Life. It's basically a Xbox One/ PS4 game engine and those are effectively obsolete systems from here on out and by next year no one is going to be supporting them with new games

• B00MSIE
    402 posts

@longjohn119

Don’t get me started about Valhalla. I do not believe this only has to do with an old engine. Valhalla does not even run well in 30fps on my Xbox series x. This game is just broken in every aspect and it gets worse with every update. Game stutters and tears all over the place. Sometimes you can barely recognize something in the blocks on screen, It looks like it drops down to a 640x320 resolution. Saving was unreliable from start and now impossible most of the time. Quick resume support is enabled, but non existing, it is only a garantie to loose all your progress.

Origins and Odyssey run smooth like hell on the series x and support quick resume, without any problems. For me it feels like we can get 60fps for them faster then they can get Valhalla perform acceptable 😊

• longjohn119
    1366 posts

@b00msie It has everything to do with the old game engine ..... Low FPS is caused by the game engine, a game engine that came out of the blocks broken (AC Unity) and with each new AC game they expected it to do more and more .... In Origins they couldn't even figure out how to make a decent save and load system, when they added the Animus control panel they broke it for weeks on Ryzen CPUs ..... Odyssey had even more problems and Valhalla even more problems .... It's a Xbox One/PS4 game engine that never did scale well to the PC and always took twice as much CPU and GPU than it should have .... Then after Valhalla came out they tried to shoehorn in a entirely new VRAM access system (Resizeable BAR) and broke it because the game engine is based on obsolete game console hardware .... It doesn't work on the Series X because the Series X is basically the same thing as a PC and the game engine was written for Jaguar cores

• longjohn119
    1366 posts

Sometimes you can barely recognize something in the blocks on screen, It looks like it drops down to a 640x320 resolution.

That's caused by a VRAM to CPU tranfer issue that is most likely caused by improper implementation of Resizable BAR .... Same reason CPU useage is low on many systems .... same reason for low FPS

If the VRAM transfers are bottlenecked the CPU usage is going to drop because it's starved for data ..... If the VRAM transfers are bottlenecked then FPS falls off the table .... If the VRAM transfers are bottlenecked then it's going to send low resolution textures rather than high resolution textures

• pesto.
    369 posts

Bear in mind that Unity did get a 60fps update under Xbox series X (as well as Farcry 5 and Valhalla does offer 60fps on both ps5 and series x). No idea how well it works though, but as this means both the oldest and newest title bookend the current frostbite offerings with 60fps on next gen consoles.

Frostbite clearly does have some issues though in its current implementation, the same issues crop up across all AAA Ubisoft games that use it, not just the graphics pipeline but events system as well, especially on the audio side and now the e-commerce side has problems with unlocks re-locking themselves. Not that the competition is free from issues either, but Ubisoft have been dealing with the same issues for many years.

I don’t know if Ubi will make a new engine, it’s a huge investment and more likely they will just continue to iterate and improve on this one. I just hope that they will invest heavily in rebuilding what’s clearly broken in there. We need to see games with high quality facial and npc animation and camera work in cutscenes, AI driven solutions for lipsync if necessary to reduce animator time (I can think of several workflows that directors would like), better cutscene editor and transitions from in game camera, improvements to LOD handling or desperately needed, narratives seem bound also by the workflow which if the odyssey story creator is anything to go by is extremely cramped and not very intuitive or friendly to the writers, and also somewhat limited in its own events system and extensibility. Then the audio side needs a complete rewrite, I’m not sure if this is part of a general streaming problem, and the handling of tracking npc and temporary data, where in some games you turn around and things despawn as soon as theyre frustum culled (see watchdogs legion for particularly egregious examples of this, but also poison and status effects in enemies in Valhalla), then the physics side, especially cloth and water physics, which were phenomenal for a decade ago but now look very dated… I mean heck, this is just what’s apparent from the outside. Imagine how the actual Ubi employees must be wailing and gnashing their teeth at it all!

• B00MSIE
    402 posts

@longjohn119

Thanks for the explanation. Very strange they do not invest in good programmers and hire some testers for one of their greatest money makers. I still think Valhalla could have been a great game. I’m now convinced it’s destroyed by creepy managers. For now I go back to Origins and Unity.

• pesto.
    369 posts

@b00msie they have some phenomenal coders, and the excuse of the managers being creeps seems highly unlikely, remember they made all those great games before with exactly the same managers. If anything the non creepy mangers have had more influence on Valhalla.

Whats more likely happening here is that they are working on a next generation engine or updates to what’s there but it’s a lower priority than simply getting games out and maximizing return on what’s there. Ubisoft are very aggressive with their release schedules unlike companies like Rockstar or CDProjectRed. That is also a managerial decision but it’s got nothing to do with how they treat or think of women, most likely it’s to do with keeping investors happy.

• B00MSIE
    402 posts

@pesto

I actually meant to type creedy. 😊 But the new managers that replaced the old creepy ones are probably creepy also. Whatever release schedule you are on, a logical thinking person would realize your customers will walk away when you pull a stunt like this. Most Valhalla buyers will think twice before buying another Ubisoft product.

Ubisoft games tend to be simplistic. In Ubisoft’s opinion a hard enemy only differs from an easy one, by giving him an incredible long health bar or lessening yours. And most of their games have exactly the same elements. But I used to like them, because they look nice and playing them is just simple fun. Valhalla isn’t fun anymore. Next to the things I mentioned earlier, the mastery challenges feel like torture. Not because they are difficult, but because simple game elements in them are broken. The whole game suffers from that and it gets worse with every downgrade they release.

• ChuckKatse
    359 posts

What is really annoying is the Bear challenge at the Callera Outpost site. You have to use the ability Rush and Bash which is the most useless ability in the game and the majority of the time fails to implement. Even if you lock on the target, The character just does it's stupid scream and then just runs in place failing to even run at the locked target. Come on Ubisoft fix the ability or remove it from the challenge. Oh and if and when it did work don't even get credit

• longjohn119
    1366 posts

@b00msie Personally I suspect the main coders of the game engine left Ubisoft sometime in the last couple of years

Elite programmers and engineers at the top of their game don't put up with harassments and jerk management because they can always find other employment .... The don't put up with people like Serge Hascoët  .... I'm talking about the top 1% .... The competition will send out Headhunters and snatch them up ... That's why places like Google and Apple tend to be full of the best of the best ... They look for corporations with management problems and send out the headhunters to pick off their best employees ... Same thing with hardware design and engineering

• RCDeschene
    169 posts

@cyberdragon92 The Odin Mine Wolf challenge was especially [censored] for me because of the fact that some of the level-end archers despawn on you, preventing you from getting the needed headshot kills.

• Raziel335
    6 posts

The Odin Mine Wolf challenge is way too many to be absolutely perfect on it's ridiculous.

• TheNorfolkian
    2067 posts

@longjohn119 Thanks for sharing that video. I had forgotten how much fun it was to ride everywhere on the horse and murder everything at high speed with a bow in Origins. Odyssey did combat on horseback fairly well too, but in Origins, I found myself frequently switching between different bow types depending on my combat engagement. Need to take down animals? The hunter bow has you covered. Need to deal with a group of enemies or truly mess up a Phylake at close range? That warrior bow will give you that crushing damage... and with fire if need be. Going up against a boss and need to recharge your adrenaline bar? The light bow will quickly pick off the hits you need to get back into overpower mode. Want to clear out a fort from a distance like a true Hidden One? That predator bow becomes your best friend.

Your comment and video not only notes how the archery-based Mastery Challenge scenarios in Valhalla are broken, but archery in the whole game is practically broken. I’ve been playing Valhalla since it came out, and when I really think about it, 99.9% of the time I’m using the predator bow... mainly because the gameplay doesn’t justify or incentivize the use of light and hunter bows enough. I can go into any combat situation and effectively use the predator bow... even in a boss fight. If I can get a fair distance away from the boss, I can tag it with poison and fire arrows easier with the predator bow than I can with the other bows. Need to kill that bear before it gets to you? Predator bow. Seeing a group of soldiers on the road? Predator bow with exploding poison/fire. Got a camp or fort that needs cleaning? Predator bow puts an arrow into every head... every time. And now with TU 1.2.2, I don’t even have to get off my horse to use ranged abilities with the predator bow. It‘s ridiculous... but the good kind. Now those Mastery Challenges? That’s the worse kind of ridiculous.

• ChuckKatse
    359 posts

Even the rewards are a joke. I would like to know who the brain child was that dreamed up the Dokkalfar's Revenge Sword. It has excellent stats and melee damage. However, when using it you lose health. Now who in the heck is going to use a weapon that you lose health when using it.

• pesto.
    369 posts

@chuckkatse it’s part of a pair, the other being Ljosalfar’s Glory. You’re meant to use it in your off hand for defense. This way you get the stat improvement and only lose healthy if you hold down the left trigger for an extended time.

Either that or you can use it to be extra hardcore and with perks that proc on low health, there are similar weapons in other non AC games, e.g. Touch or Malice in Destiny, although they tend to have been designed for a specific encounter or situation in mind.

• longjohn119
    1366 posts
    @chuckkatse it’s part of a pair, the other being Ljosalfar’s Glory. You’re meant to use it in your off hand for defense. This way you get the stat improvement and only lose healthy if you hold down the left trigger for an extended time.

Either that or you can use it to be extra hardcore and with perks that proc on low health, there are similar weapons in other non AC games, e.g. Touch or Malice in Destiny, although they tend to have been designed for a specific encounter or situation in mind.

There was a weapon in Odyssey which was very powerful but capped your health at 1/4 .... I never used it but some people had really good luck with it, you just have to either have tanky armor or be really good at dodging ...... They had another that would cause you to catch on fire but there were engravings so you could offset the fire damage

Personally I pretty much use a KISS principle in most games, find something I like and then maximize it's damage ..... I never used the predator ability in Odyssey because Devastating Shot could do everything it did and more without a zoom affect messing you up in close range or fast moving battle .... I never use Spread Shot because Multishot was so much better and I only used it sparingly ..... The only melee weapons I used were swords with the exception of the weekly Sargon events and sometimes I'd just skip those if I didn't feel like using a spear or a heavy blunt or whatever .... I especially hated the "kill 15 enemies with a torch"

Suggested Topics