Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Schother12
    63 posts

@vincent13122 Yeah that's a very good example. I don't really understand how this can be considered as good looking as it just puts a blur on your image and hides all the little details and nice textures the devs created.
    If I would create nice textures and then others put such ugly effects on it that people can't even see all the work i did anymore I would be quite annoyed.

So feel free to make a TAA implementation but if you do..please, please, please give us an option to turn it off. It can't be that hard isn't it?

• Ubi-Mark.
    Ubisoft Support Staff 1749 posts

Hello Vikings,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention!

Although I cannot promise your suggestion will be implemented, all suggestions are incredibly helpful as we continue working hard to improve the overall quality of our games. I passed your suggestions regarding anti-aliasing along with this thread to the development team for further review.

Once we have an update, we are going to let everyone know through these forums.

If you have any additional questions, please let us know.

Official Response
  • Ubi-Mark.

Hello Vikings,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention!

Although I cannot promise your suggestion will be implemented, all suggestions are incredibly helpful as we continue working hard to improve the overall quality of our games. I passed your suggestions regarding anti-aliasing along with this thread to the development team for further review.

Official Response
  • Ubi-Mark.

Hello Vikings,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and apologies for the delayed reply!

Although I cannot promise your suggestion will be implemented, all suggestions are incredibly helpful as we continue working hard to improve the overall quality of our games. I passed your suggestions regarding anti-aliasing along with this thread to the development team for further review.

Official Response
  • Schother12
    63 posts

@ubi-mark
    Thanks alot for finally replying to our posts, I honestly appreciate it.
    I really hope the devs will implement an option as it would be such a big help for me and others to finally enjoy the game for real.

As for me I tried to counter the blur and achieve a nice picture quality several times with all kind of tricks I could think off like reshade, DSR etc. but just didn't manage to get a result I could really enjoy.

In that regard I stoped playing after a very short time and delayed in hope we still get an option in some time.

So thanks again..also for forwarding to the dev team and looking forward to hear from you again once there is any news / update.
    Even if it took very long if we in the end finally get an option I will still be very happy and appreciating.

• Lotan_
    10 posts

Well, at least we finally have some official acknowledgement of this issue.
    Now let's hope something will be done about it...

• Ubi-Mark.

No worries @lotan_!

Once we have any update from the development team, we are going to let everyone know through these forums 🙂

Official Response
  • Ubi-Mark.

Hello @schother12,

No worries at all! We're always happy to assist!

Once we have any update from the development on this, we are going to update you all 🙂

Official Response
  • Mad_Macallan
    2 posts

While I 100% agree with every sentiment shared in this thread, and absolutely appreciate Ubi-Mark's contribution, there's no way in hell they're going to allow you to disable TAA. Although Mark is just doing his job, and trust he passed the suggestion on to the team, I can promise you they just rolled their eyes and moved on to the next revenue generating project like DLC or a different game altogether. Let me tell you why.

As reinforced in that GDC (I love those videos) talk, anti-aliasing is based on budget requirements, and if the vast majority of gamers don't recognize this and/or care we've already lost this war. If the profit margins are going to increase drastically at the risk of [censored] off the minority, it's going to happen. It's happening. It always happens.

I watch my wife play modern games on her 1080p monitor with no attempt to disable TAA via options or config files and it doesn't even phase her, whereas to me it's literally unplayable. I'm also a Creative Director professionally so maybe I'm just a cranky artist that can't accept degradation in visual quality regardless of its impact on monetary requirements.

It's most likely that a lot of the developers aren't particularly happy seeing the ghosting and blur inherent in this garbage tech but it's rarely up to the dev/design lead to make the call when it comes to money. Unless of course, they suggest something that saves money then it's always welcome.

What you're effectively asking them to do is go back on a game released months ago and rework the tech. Think of it this way; TAA is a bandage on a wound that needs stitches. The second you rip that bandage off, you're going to see all sorts of anamolies and artifacts the devs know are hiding behind that vaseline filter. You'll get a million jaggies and flickering and strange lighting effects and whatever else TAA is hiding. Have you every tried to simply disable TAA in Outer Worlds without disabling bloom or depth of field or whatever else? It's a seizure-inducing light show. To date, they still have not offered the ability to disable TAA. That is a fantastic game and TAA almost ruined it, which brings me to my next point: let us tweak the ******* config files.

Not only can you tweak the config files in Outer Worlds, but thanks to the communities you can tweak it to the point that you can also fix almost all of the issues that come with ripping off that TAA bandage. Sure, you're going to add about 10 lines to the ini file, but when you're done, the game is crisp, beautiful, and shiny surfaces won't set your eyeballs on fire. That's not even an option in ACV. People have suggested two things that are relatively easy and imo, about 25% effective; use the Nvidia sharpen filter, or use a mod that applies reshade and some minor tweaks which is almost the same thing as using the Nvidia filter.

While I appreciate the effort, that's a hard pass from me. It introduces a certain graininess that the game was not, how do I say this... prepared for. The water looks like an ocean of pixels, hair is floating on heads, certain lighting feels broken. It might be slightly better than TAA but it's definitely not the equivalent of simply disabling AA altogether. It's lipstick on a pig, is what I'm saying.

In summation, none of the "solutions" are good ones, we can't tweak the config files in an effective way, fixing TAA for the minority that owns the game is not profitable and a bigger undertaking than a menu toggle. As someone mentioned at least once in this thread, I've also never seen a dev team approach a TAA title and say "hey guys, great news, you can now turn off TAA." Literally never.

Cyberpunk 2077 was, in my opinion, an atrocity. I don't mean the bugs or the lawsuits (lol) or the delays. I mean yeah those were bad but my biggest nightmare was as you may have guessed launching the game for the first time and being blown away by how unbelievably gorgeous and sharp everything looked just kidding I uninstalled it out out of spite. The ghosting was almost impressively bad. Even the character creation character faces were unrecognizable with the blur. Once I tweaked the ini files enough it was somewhat playable, but the pixelation was out of control. My character's hair was 16-bit. That's just yet another example of this issue. No one is (really) listening to us, and we've been screaming for years at this point.

This is an industry-wide problem. I don't think TAA is going anywhere until a more cost effective solution is introduced that doesn't look (and run) like hot garbage. I don't think developers are going to stop using it, because we're in the minority. It's universally accepted otherwise. No one seems to care. It also seems to happen far more with ports. As a great example of a game with a beautiful engine where turning off TAA only results in some minor jagginess, try looking at high res screenshots of Yakuza: Like a Dragon. That game is unbelievably beautiful. On a final note, I recently picked up Days Gone, which is obviously a PS port to PC and it's atrociously bad TAA. Since it's the Unreal Engine I simply tweaked the ini files, which resulted in (this is new) various prompts like picking up items on the ground or QTEs with prompts no longer appearing. How cool is that.

TAA sucks.

• FGXraven
    16 posts
    @ubi-mark I am glad that we are finally heard and that our problem is examined and discussed

• FGXraven
    16 posts

@mad_macallan thank you very much to send your experience and statement against TAA. I wish more people could stand against this forced TAA. So many games nowadays have this big mess. I think the only way to rid off this problem is to program a software which disable TAA and other stuff like motion blur or DOF; OR to start a petition:/

all the best

FGXraven

• Lotan_
    10 posts

@mad_macallan well I think none of us expect them to actually fully implement AA option in the menu a polish it. I would be completely fine with just .ini option to disable it and deal with whatever artifacts it brings. (similar to the Cyberpunk situation)

• FGXraven
    16 posts
    This post is deleted!
  • FGXraven
    16 posts
    This post is deleted!
  • FGXraven
    16 posts
    This post is deleted!
  • azullFR
    1345 posts
    This post is deleted!
  • FGXraven
    16 posts
    This post is deleted!
  • FGXraven
    16 posts
    This post is deleted!
  • azullFR
    1345 posts

@fgxraven
    👍 👍 👍

Have a nice day 🙂

• Ubi-Mark.

Hello everyone,

Thank you for sharing your continuous updates!

I just checked the status of this feedback report and I can see that there's no update on it yet - however, once we have one, we will let everyone know 🙂

Official Response

Suggested Topics