Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• GhostAgent14
    Original poster 128 posts

Hello there, fellow Assassins/Vikings!! Well, it's been a week since the now infamous mastery challenges went live. There are multiple threads out there about these, and it seems like the majority of the community has not enjoyed them much at all. I felt a great sense of relief when I finished these with only slightly more than the minimum requirements to satisfy "The Cryptic Tutelage of Hildiran" quest. I found myself hoping that Hildiran's tutoring is over for good!! Lol. The end of that quest certainly hints at more to be revealed, and I am really, really hoping that this does not involve any future mastery challenges. The storyline of the quest is certainly intriguing, and I'm curious to see where it's going to go. But then I feel a sense a dread about it possibly involving still more mastery challenges. I feel that Ubisoft does try to listen to us as the community, so I hope that they've seen how most of us feel about the challenges.

So I am curious as to how the rest of you feel. Do you want to see the quest storyline move forward in a different way? Or do you want it to move forward with more mastery challenges? I would love to see some more traditional side quests associated with it, but I am just one gamer in a large community of gamers. So what do you all think?

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• pesto.
    217 posts

I like the idea of more content, but not necessarily more mastery challenges the way they are set right now.

e.g. If once you’ve completed the campaign you could have all the campaign missions reappear on the map to revisit with modifiers for “mastery” that require certain objectives to be fulfilled and even a couple of weekly extra tough ones then that might be more fun.

• pesto.
    217 posts

Oh and I feel like Ubisoft is trying to placate everyone, people wanted more assassin in AC, they wanted old mechanics back, and we’re getting that. The issue for me is that AC has moved in from what it was. Chasing papers isn’t fun anymore. Stealth mechanics haven’t been refreshed. Desync for npc kills feels like a cheap and old solution. AC is now open world and RPG lite. The game mechanics substantially favor brawling rather than strategy and stealth (this would be less of a case if enemies were alerted in a more realistic manner and smaller radius). Level design is less vertical.

Mastery challenge feels like another way to shoehorn in legacy content that some older players have been calling out for. But I think it’s time to let that stuff go and instead try to just make a fluid modern AC that doesn’t feel like piecemeal.

• Tascer
    23 posts

"Oh and I feel like Ubisoft is trying to placate everyone, people wanted more assassin in AC, they wanted old mechanics back, and we’re getting that. The issue for me is that AC has moved in from what it was."

Remember when AC was about stealth gameplay? It was totally fine. You had to think and flee if you were found. Open combat was hard, but doable. I guess many people cried about exactly that. Then they tried to please the loud minority and we got a game where you could run into open combat without any downside. I would say it was and is even easier to do so.
    And i agree, thats easy and cheap. So increase the difficulty again... And instead of actually improving the game, we got a stupid mode with some instanced areas with aimbotting and wallhacking enemies. It is still doable, no doubt. BUT that brings out the flaws of the game: controls are wonky, AI stupid af, ...

Going the route to make the main char an unstoppable fighting machine in an ASSASSINs game is like having CoD gameplay in a Splinter Cell game.

----------
    btw: that's a NO - no more broken mastery challenges and Hildiran can go to Hell.

• pesto.
    217 posts

@tascer but it was fine “for the time”. I don’t think those older games hold up very well on gameplay compared to the more modern ones.

That doesn’t mean stealth shouldn’t be in there, just that it has to be better and newer.

• Tascer
    23 posts

@pesto Nothing to disagree here.
    Gameplay wise it was "easy" or as some would say: boring, but on the other hand it forced you into stealth. And today, while stealth is still existent, it's not worth it. You're slower and the mechanics are favoring that faster gameplay.

Stealth needs a rework, yes. But it's like they are not even trying to do so.

• davidv81
    67 posts

No more mastery challenges, please.
    We had a bad game and now is just awful.
    I don't sell it because i bought the season pass.
    Of course, I won't buy season 2 and even not sure if I will buy any future AC (if it's something like Valhalla of course not).
    I want fun, not amazing graphics and lose 15 minutes to open a barred door, 40 tries to do a mastery where the amazing AI kills itself, and of course tons and tons of bugs.
    I bought it at day 1 since I loved Odyssey, a REAL RPG.

Suggested Topics