Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• za2ci
    Original poster 2 posts

Focus on the story instead of the size of the map.
    Why ezio got a smaller map but the game was far away better than Odyssey, valhalla etc..??!

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• caosck
    471 posts

@za2ci it was much better ...
    they don't all think so (for example me)

• za2ci
    Original poster 2 posts

@caosck that's our fault. We are still playing like +100hours for those news Assassin and they think we enjoyed it

• caosck
    471 posts

@za2ci

tze tze....
    I have far exceeded 300 hours ..
    XD

• C-Pick
    71 posts

I'm all for great stories, interesting characters, memorable quests, and so on, but I also LOVE giant open worlds. Why can't we have all these things?

I can live with a somewhat smaller open world, sure. For instance, the worlds of Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Red Dead Redemption 2, Days Gone, and other open-world games I enjoy are smaller, but the massive sizes of the worlds in the latest Assassin's Creed games are part of why I love them and keep coming back to them.

I want to venture out into big worlds with great locations and feel like I'm traveling far and wide to discover new places. World size doesn't need to be compromised, in my estimation.

• pesto.
    154 posts

Yeah sorry but no, I like the large maps and adventures. I do want great writing as well, but don’t cut down the map size or go back to linear (snore).

• GhostAgent14
    96 posts

I may be in the minority, but I feel that the maps in Valhalla are good sizes. I just found that the ones in Origins and Odyssey -although they were amazing for sure - were almost a bit too much.

• pesto.
    154 posts

@ghostagent14 I think the one in Origins felt a little too large because there wasn't content for a number of areas. The narrative didn't make use of the landscape either which felt like a wasted opportunity, instead you were just expected to visit the big attractions on your own and maybe find a tomb entrance. I was really hoping for a huge scale story to rival Laurence of Arabia with that one, instead you got a breakup and some token historical figures as backdrop to a series of fetch quests for village idiots.

Initially I would have agreed about Odyssey, but after playing it for many hours I realized that it's size made sense for the naval combat and geopolitics. What it lacked was the sense of hand-crafted beauty of Origins and of Valhalla, there was a lot of repeated elements, repeated caves, repeated camps etc. That made it feel less worthwhile.

The word I think that ties this all together is "intentional".

I think if Ubisoft are going for a 2 year turnover on a game with two studios working that doubles the development time available. That means a larger map like Odyssey's can be made with full detail, and the story can be developed to utilize the map more fully. Regardless of whatever size map they decide to go with next it needs to feel intentional.

My personal pet peeve on these maps that takes me out of it all is separate areas, where you have to load into another map. This happens for all the DLC and it makes it feel like you've stepped back out of an "open world" game back into the games of yesteryear where each area is loaded into. I really hope Ubisoft will stop doing this and will instead if necessary modify the existing map with additional content, plan the DLC ahead of time, make it feel organic and a part of the game. If necessary have time pass in game. I always remember a small bit of development that happened in Red Dead Redemption where you met a father arguing with his sons, over time you'd revisit the same area and notice that they'd built a camp, then started gathering materials, then were working on building foundations and eventually a whole new house was there. To me that was a beautiful way to convey that the world was not static, time was passing, things change. Figure out a way to have that sort of thing in AC cities rising and falling, coming under siege, going into prosperity and decay and you have the means to have as many stories as you want on a single map, in a fluid natural feeling way that doesn't impinge on the original story.

• Kormac67
    676 posts

I'd rather have a bigger map. Content.

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics