Moved Thoughts on the new forums5 Likes/34 Replies/677 Views
Well, I wanted to wait one or two weeks before writing such a post because sometimes you just have to accommodate to a new look and feel, but my list of shortcomings of the new forum is growing daily so I'd like to mention a few of them (some are even bug seen from a usability standpoint so I was unsure whether to post it in the support section as a bug report):
I understand that the old forum had shortcomings, so I don't propose to rollback to the old ones, but the following issues should be addressed:
- The first two-thirds of the screen in large-mode are pointless and just in the way:
- Images can not be resized upon pasting (just learned it after including the image - or I did not understand how to do it because)
- There is no mouse-over for the menu bar in the message window explaining what the icons stand for.
- The posts in general take too much space, this results in heavy scrolling right from the beginning. This is made worse by the pinned posts. At the moment, I have to scroll down about 1 1/2 screen pages before I see the first relevant post. This is a very bad screen design.
This post is deleted!
- When you are pasting a screenshot, it is pasted twice. The first past is done after the paste command, the second after pressing any other button (tested on firefox for windows).
- The "suggested topics" are suggesting stupid posts which are completely irrelevant since I do not own those games. Since one of the goals of the new forum is a "unified experience", this should not happen.
- Even worse: It is completely unclear to which game those "suggested" posts are related since they are just showing the sub-section of the respective forum and not the game:
- The "Tags" field suggests that people can type in their own tags because it tells us: "(between 2 and 20 characters each)", but we can only use pre-defined tags. I do not mind that we are restricted to pre-defined tags since this reduces the choices, but this violates the HMI design principle of conformity to expectations.
- When you scrolled to the last post of a topic, you have to scroll up to the beginning of the page again to see the breadcrumb navigation bringing you to the upper-level subsection of the forum.
- Yes, there is the new pop-up menu which is next to the home button which in fact does the trick. But this violates the principle of doing things always in the same way. So either breadcrumbs-menu or the other option. This becomes even stranger in the mobile (narrow) version of the website when not the whole breadcrumb is shown: You are having the same (limited) information twice in different visual styles and functionalities:
- Replies to postings are shown twice: First, they are shown as a separate posting, secondly, they are shown when the "reply" is clicked. I really like the feature to group discussions and assigning replies to posts, but showing them twice is not a good idea. Maybe a proper indentation will do the trick.
- I got the message "welcome to the new assassins creed forums" - which I never had any intention to subscribe to.
- The two topmost menu bars are behaving strangely when scrolling through the page. When scrolling down, at first the second bar disappears, just to re-appear after the second scroll-down after which the first bar disappears. When you are scrolling up, the first bar re-appears no matter in which section of the page you are (which might be intended).
- I strongly recommend starting the web developer options in the browser of your choice and check the "accessibility" section - the site fails utterly. By that, you give the impression that impaired persons are not welcome on your website. I sincerely hope this impression is wrong.
Last: I wanted to post this and got the error "Request entity too large"! *argh*
Even for a 1-line posting with one image I'm now getting a "posting is to long" error message. This results in a series of posts now which should be one single posting...
- Yellow is an improper color for highlighting. Yes, it is the color of the TC2-logo, but screen design guidelines tell you, that you should use a color with a high contrast related to the background as color for highlighting things. The problem is just appearing in "normal mode", in dark mode everything is fine. So please fix the css for the light mode. Visually impaired people will just not see it at the moment. This affects the "unread" indicator as well as several other text elements.
- The button "show me the first unread post" in a thread is gone - this was a very important feature and should be re-implemented.
- It is now impossible to edit a post after 10 minutes - this prevents postings from being updated regularly, e.g. the list of boosted parts or the list of community requested features. This should be changed so that every post can be edited as often as needed. Otherwise, such very helpful and important topics are just becoming outdated and people are no longer willing to invest effort in such postings.
- The "unread" menu seems to be broken. In the following screenshot, you are seeing a thread that is marked as new, but the "unread" counter is "0" and if I click on it, it tells me "there are no unread posts"
MissCoolCat 10 posts
Appalling layout and menu(s)
Clownardo 5 posts
I know i complain sometimes around here but wow, the new forum is bad, not the bad of type "ooh is new i hate it reee", it is genuinely bad.
Clownardo 5 posts
Uuh one of my main complains is how replies are shown, imo the text is too small and the reply submenu needs some works, maybe don't show twice the message if is a reply?
Suggested threads should'nt show up other games, and "replies" in a thread needs to be 0, not 1 if is only the poster msg.
The edit function, why the time limit? "edited comment" notice is enough, maybe 1 day instead of 300 seconds? Oh and the icon is very small too
For now these are my main problems
Don.B._CN 25 posts
A couple of hours ago i noticed another problem with this new forum, when i posted something in the german section. After i send my post i noticed some typos which i wanted to correct by editing the post. When i wanted to save the edited post it said something about "spam" and didn't let me save the changes. On top of that i wanted to contact the CM that seems to be responsible for the german section about that problem and i noticed that you can contact other members via PM but you can't contact a moderator here via PM. Is that a bug or is this intended?
At the moment it looks like that doubleposting, which is usually a total no-go in every forum i know, is more the way to go than editing your own post when you forgot something or when you have something to add. I hope that's not the case, because then this forum will end up in total chaos.
Community Developer Ubi-Fanch 11 posts
Thank you for sharing your feedback, we also gathered some on our end.
We will share everything you flagged to our team.
Keep it coming, as long as it is constructive and explained in detail.
We were allowed to respond to announcements in the old which is not permitted anymore. Inconsistently, when you press the "..."-menu next to such a post, you still have the option to "quote" and the editor opens. But once you want to "submit", you receive a permission error. The menu option should not exist (or be greyed out).
dreadnaught200 1 posts
@obu42 Another bug I’ve noticed is in the 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray and the 2019 Chevrolet Corvette C7 ZR1 Convertible because when you go to change gear your avatar pretends to use paddles but you can clearly see they ain’t proper paddle shifters and if you look down you can see in both cars that they use gear sticks not paddles and I even searched it up and those two cars do use gear sticks not paddle shifters so that’s something I hope they change in a future update
S5yn3T 44 posts
Annoying to use honestly
even after switching a few toggles to make it in a dark mod and show threads as list instead of... whatever the default setting is... its still overly complicated to navigate.
In old forum it was all laid out, you saw which sub forum had recent activity, you could clearly see all the topics on the page and it was easy to read what each user wrote.
Now you have to keep scrolling and scrolling and then deal with terrible design of replies and posts in general, and then not confuse with suggested topics at the very bottom.
Not to mention all these transition animations... such unnecessary changes.
Community Manager UbiShoreman 9 posts
Hey all! Thanks so much for keeping the feedback coming! Please continue to do so!
The posts of Ubisoft officials are always visually marked as "unread" (having the same yellow highlighting as the unread posts), no matter how often you read them.
And one more: Watch the count:
Either deleted postings are counted or the count is just wrong.
...and for the screenshots in the post above, I got the error message "message content was flagged as spam by aski-something.com". They are just showing the "1 posts 1 reply" for "User-generated content" which has zero posts and zero replies.
S5yn3T 44 posts
Oh that's a bit dirty, you can only edit your own post for 10 minutes before it gets locked?