Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• KopfSmertZz
    Original poster 82 posts

Since the latest patch/update of the game I'm no longer able to continue to load the game during startup. At some point during startup you get a screen showing the AC-Valhalla logo with the prompt "Press A to start", but when pressing A on my Xbox controller nothing happens. I also tried pressing Y to change the current profile, but that is also no longer working either. I'm not able to start and continue the game, I can only force quit it from Xbox startmenu!

I tried a couple of things:

• Cold boot Xbox Series X (power down, unplug power cord, wait, plugin, boot). Not working, same result
    • Tried 3 other and original Xbox controllers (wired and wireless). Not working, same result
    • Deleted and reinstalled the entire game, including DLC/addons. Not working, same result
    • Followed al these steps to the letter (for similar issue on Playstation). Not working, same result

So, here I am. Over 350 hours in and not able to continue, bummer!

Any ideas, or suggestions other than abandon the game?

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• KopfSmertZz
    Original poster 82 posts
    Best Answer

To reply myself; YES IT IS!

I browsed the Reddit topic once more and one reply caught my attention, it mentions that the controller somehow switched to "player 2". So I booted Valhalla and on the Title screen with "Press A to start" I just hard rebooted the Xbox by keeping the power button pressed. Once rebooted I started Valhalla and behold, joy and happiness, it is working again! Yes!

So my issue is not related to the mentioned button remapping bug, or a bug in Valhalla in any way. Maybe a moderator can update the title to "SOLVED..."

I'm going now, have lots of heads to chop and rivers to raid!

• KopfSmertZz
    Original poster 82 posts

@kopfsmertzz : As an addon to above; all my Xbox controllers work perfectly fine with any other game. Just Valhalla seems totally unaware of the connected controller since 1.2.2 on my Xbox Series X

• azullFR
    1360 posts

@kopfsmertzz

I've found another Topic that maybe (but really not sure) can help you :
    https://discussions.ubisoft.com/topic/87990/ac-valhalla-cursor-wont-move/1?lang=en-US
    have a look at @sierra4bac solution

(advice : make a copy of your Valhalla Saves on USB Stick,if you can, before trying the Topic's soluce)

hope this can help a little 🙂

• KopfSmertZz
    Original poster 82 posts

@azullfr : Thanks for the link, I will surely try this if Ubisoft does not respond to my issue, maybe there is some article about this issue already. I'm very reluctant when it comes to deleting my 350+ hours progress as you can imagine, making a backup first is solid advise for sure. Cheers!

• KopfSmertZz
    Original poster 82 posts

I think my issue could be related to https://discussions.ubisoft.com/topic/99095/unable-to-use-custom-controls-following-tu-1-2-2-post-here?lang=en-US
    I did some remapping when I started the game months ago. I think I will hold until Ubisoft comes with a solution/fix, but I would really appreciate some reply from Ubisoft staff members on this forum.

• UbiSushiVamp
    Ubisoft Support Staff 630 posts

@kopfsmertzz Hey there! Thank you for reaching out about this and thank you for all the steps you have already tried.

Our teams are currently aware of players having this issue with custom controls and are working towards a fix for this! This should be resolved with a future update.

That being said, in the meantime, are you able to head to the settings menu and set your controls back to default to see if it will allow you to play and get past the "A" option?

Thank you greatly!

Official Response
  • PostwarPhoenix
    2 posts

@ubisushivamp I am having the same issue but I am using default setting and a normal xbox controller.

• KopfSmertZz
    Original poster 82 posts

@ubisushivamp : I cannot do this because pressing A doesn't work, I'm therefore not able to get into the main menu of the game

• PostwarPhoenix
    2 posts

@kopfsmertzz so just tried a lil test game loads and works on Xbox one S, but when trying on a series x still have the issue of button commands not working at start screen.

• KopfSmertZz
    Original poster 82 posts

@postwarphoenix : That is really really interesting because a few days ago I noticed a Reddit post about a guy that (seemingly random) has this issue on Xbox Series S also : https://www.reddit.com/r/xbox/comments/o9kiar/anyone_know_why_this_happens_any_help_would_be/

Could this be an Xbox Series X|S issue and not Valhalla?

• KopfSmertZz
    Original poster 82 posts
    Best Answer

To reply myself; YES IT IS!

I browsed the Reddit topic once more and one reply caught my attention, it mentions that the controller somehow switched to "player 2". So I booted Valhalla and on the Title screen with "Press A to start" I just hard rebooted the Xbox by keeping the power button pressed. Once rebooted I started Valhalla and behold, joy and happiness, it is working again! Yes!

So my issue is not related to the mentioned button remapping bug, or a bug in Valhalla in any way. Maybe a moderator can update the title to "SOLVED..."

I'm going now, have lots of heads to chop and rivers to raid!

• azullFR
    1360 posts

@kopfsmertzz

Greats Greats Thanks to you for sharing your solution !!! 👍 👍 👍 👍 👍

• Ubi-Borealis
    Ubisoft Support Staff 4150 posts

Hello there!

Thanks for updating us, @KopfSmertZz, and for sharing how you were able to resolve the issue you were encountering with your controller 😄 I've now marked this topic as resolved and pinned your answer in case any other players encounter a similar issue.

If you encounter any further trouble during your viking adventures, please don't hesitate to reach out!

Thanks! 😊

Official Response

Suggested Topics