ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• L3AND80
    Original poster 71 posts
    Probably many will like it, because it's a more... "modern" layout, from the smartphone generation, while others won't even care, there will still be some more "annoying" people (like me), who just look at this layout, feel uncomfortable...

Maybe it's because I'm not used to these prettier layouts and prefer the simpler ones or the fact that I'm becoming a boring old man.

The new layout is nice, but I preferred the old layout, it was more of a "PC layout".

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• CategoryTheory
    137 posts

Having now actually used this a bit, I prefer the old layout too, but mainly because it's just a lot less busy and so one can more easily read the text. Here there's the background image, other images and icons all over the place, lots of different fonts and sizes, etc. etc. and all this just distracts from what this site is supposed to be doing, letting you read what others write. It looks like the usual case of some people valuing how things look "in the shop" more than how it works when you actually take it home and use it.

BTW, your post is very difficult to read because for some reason you've put it into a scrolling box with each paragraph on a single line that must be scrolled left and right.

• Ubi-Lucipus
    Community Manager 146 posts

@l3and80 it can take time to get used to a new look 🙂

Official Response
  • Adrian-11
    896 posts

This is perhaps what passes as "modern", it's so busy and all over the place. One would imagine there are more personalization settings to streamline it, but no... Does the same things, in a way more distracting manner.
    The only thing I appreciate is the larger font.

• Rodnaz
    72 posts

@aspoiu

Yeah its busy, very busy. I have to keep a leash on my pointer, hot links everywhere. For me the text seems the same size but one can always use CTRL & mouse scroll to change that quickly.

• CategoryTheory
    137 posts

In the "Hide Suggested Topics" topic there are a couple of hints on how to use Adblock Plus to make the site slightly less distracting by removing the "Suggested Topics" box at the bottom and the background image. The techniques should be applicable to other elements of the site as well.

@Rodnaz: I have to keep a leash on my pointer, hot links everywhere.

You mean the pop-ups from when your pointer passes over a name? Yeah, I've been noticing those and they are really annoying, especially since they don't seem to go away as easily as the pop up. And again they're a design that takes up three times more screen real estate than it needs to, because the designers seem to believe here that we're happy not only to have something slower to read, but also covering more of the other text on the screen we were tring to read, so long as we get more bling. (This is known as the "doing this is bad, but at least it gets you something bad" design principle.)

• CategoryTheory
    137 posts

In Adblock plus you can block discussions.ubisoft.com##div.user-details in order to stop that annoying box popping up when your mouse pointer passes over a user's icon. All the the functionality in that pop-up (follow, block, send message, etc.) is still available by clicking on the user's name to the right of it, which will take you to the user's page.

If you need more on how to set up stuff like this in Adblock Plus, there's a post in this thread about it. I've just spent ten minutes trying to figure out how to link directly to that post but can't for the life of me figure out how, so you'll just have to scroll around until you find it.

• xcel30
    786 posts

It kinda bothers me that it shows AC valhalla whenever you scroll by someone's pfp, at least division 2 in it's own forums

• SevenNVD
    87 posts
    This post is deleted!
  • CategoryTheory
    137 posts

@xcel30 I think the one you're talking about may be another one I've blocked, though it's multiple games, not just what I presume to be Valhalla: https://discussions.akamaized.net/static/prod/static/assets/plugins/@discussions/nodebb-theme-ubisoft/static/assets/general-bg-white.jpg

• xcel30
    786 posts

Jesus trying to use this in mobile is a nightmare, reply window only appeared when i tried to close the tab among other stuff of pop ups overlaying over eachother, oof the one was waay more streamlined and optimized for mobiles, also wasn't able to proper embed image link chat commands don't tell you what they do or how they work really a big downgrade

• the_Kettle
    232 posts

@xcel30 When I typed out a reply on (Android) mobile earlier, it positioned the text I was typing behind the on-screen keyboard, so I couldn't actually see if it was typing correctly without minimizing the keyboard, and wouldn't let me scroll the reply window around to compensate. Not the best design I've encountered!

• xcel30
    786 posts

Oh another thing, you don't appear to be able to DM moderators anymore? Depending on the situation i used to DM requesting a lock now i have so self report which is kinda dumb

• ociwap
    8 posts

The tragic new form of the forum. Very unintuitive.

• TxDieselKid
    322 posts

Absolute garbage. I have it set to List View, and it does not help.

• dagrommit
    894 posts

@xcel30 I think you can only send messages to people who have allowed chat messages from anyone, rather than just the people they follow. Mouse over merphee's profile and there is a "send message" button, though I don't know if he has moderator access here.

• Merphee
    70 posts
    @xcel30 I think you can only send messages to people who have allowed chat messages from anyone, rather than just the people they follow. Mouse over merphee's profile and there is a "send message" button, though I don't know if he has moderator access here.

Nah, there's nothing I can do here.

I think this forum layout needed more time in the oven, as it is still quite buggy, at least on my end. Although it is a beta, shutting down the old forum in total for the new beta forum is pretty risky imo.

• L3AND80
    Original poster 71 posts

It was only after a few hours that I posted that I realized that my comment formatting was buggy and could be only be changed within ten minutes at most after it was posted.

As English is NOT my native language, I use the Google translator in my language and copy the message in English and paste it in some post. Apparently, this new layout doesn't take it well.

note: this comment came out in the right format (I suppose it is) because in addition to typing all this into the Google translator, I had to type all the words in English here, that is, two jobs to post a single post.

• Oatiecrumble
    569 posts
    I think this forum layout needed more time in the oven, as it is still quite buggy, at least on my end. Although it is a beta, shutting down the old forum in total for the new beta forum is pretty risky imo.

Funny you should say that, i remember the days when i had a WoW forum for my guild, i created a new one and told them all to move over to the new one and shut the old one down, little did i know the first week with the new forum all kinda bugs was popping up.....guild members left not just my new forum but my guild too 😂

• CategoryTheory
    137 posts

Yeah, the new WYSIWYG (supposedly, it's not quite) editor certainly has its downsides. Formatting is more fiddly and difficult to get right; for an example of how the editor can work against you, try starting a paragraph with "1." without making it an indented list. There's no help or instructions for formatting or the somtimes mysterious icons. But the worst is that it does not react well to pasting in text from other sources, doing strange things with the formatting and so on. I generally edit larger posts in a external editor, and with no markup I have to go through and manually reformat the whole thing (adding bold, etc.) in a tedious and error-prone way after copying it from my editor to this one, and do it all again if I make enough changes that I need to copy again.

And the whole "overlay window" thing for the editor within the browser window is just annoying. I used to be able simply to scroll to go back and reference the posts in the thread, now I need to do both that and editing each in a half-size area or open and close or resize the silly window every time I move back and forth between editing and checking other replies.

This new forum really is showing all the signs of "we added lots of flashy graphical stuff; isn't that totally worth it being harder to use?"

Suggested Topics