Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• 125 Likes/537 Replies/30336 Views
    Raski0611
    107 posts

@captainstarpaw

Good to know, downloading whole game again not worth it right now.

• revengefire
    9 posts

Ubisoft :

• Shuar
    34 posts

Still not a known issue????
    Isnt DTS-HD audio capable of 192 kHz sampling frequency (96 kHz for 6.1 or 7.1 surround)?? Can we assume that the game was and still is falsely advertised?

Thinking about legal action against Ubisoft. This is not acceptable. They are not even allowing refunds if you've played more than "2 hours", but we aren't even getting acknowledged here?

What is this BS? We payed for HD audio, not some low quality compressed sound, unbalanced mix and incorrect audio outputs. Not even stereo audio works properly [censored].

• carpetmonster88
    14 posts

Bad quality of audio, incorectly mixed channels on stereo, multiple reports and no one even responding in the topic? Problem still not listed in known issues?
    Support is not reposnding to emails. No one is responding on forum. Ubisoft pretending that they don't see our complains.

• Raenith
    10 posts

Also noticed it right away. I was really excited for this, jumped straight in after setting up the new xbox and as soon as I was in the hall as young Eivor, I noticed it. I called the missis in and asked if she thought it sounded odd and she basically said, "it sounds like you're speakers are playing from a tin can". I went into the audio settings with the xbox and played with all the different audio options thinking maybe it was the console or speakers, and basically found the least terrible sounding was just plain old stereo and endured for now. I retested it later and noticed by diving into water over and over again with each different setting, the splash gave off a distinct (ear wrenching) different sound for each setting. Still ended up switching back to boring old stereo though.

Did you start to play Valhalla before the initial game updates were released?

• Started on release; nothing has changed

What is your platform, and if on PC, what are your system specs? (CPU, GPU, RAM, etc.)

• Xbox Series X

What is your audio set-up? Are you using a headset (wired or wireless?), a speaker system, a surround sound system, etc.?

• Samsung Q800T Soundbar with Wireless Rear Speakers

What audio output is in use? 7.1, 5.1, Surround, Stereo?

• Tried them all, stereo at the moment all the rest were more horrid

A video demonstrating the issues you are experiencing.

• I don't quite understand this. If you're reviewing the video with the same cassette Sony Walkman headphones used in testing, how can you tell?

• TheRealDaemon
    21 posts

@shuar completely agree. We've been misled. Maybe some legal action is exactly what it would take for us to get what we paid for.

Any sort of update would be nice. Is this being looked into still? Support has completely ignored my messages as well.

Whenever I mention the audio on any other forum or place, most people agree that the quality is crap. Why hasn't this been picked up by more networks yet? Is audio not that important to people?

• CaptainStarPaw
    Original poster 51 posts

@therealdaemon Gaming journalism is a complete joke these days. Professional critiques gloss over details and rarely paint the full picture. I've yet to find a reviewer who is consistently, equally appreciating the relationship between gameplay, visuals and audio.

The AAA gaming industry in general is approaching boiling point when you consider how many sloppy releases make it out into the wild, often ignoring the feelings and comments of internal devs. Valhalla is not without its list of gamebreaking bugs, and Cyberpunk 2077 is a great example too, but CDPR were too concerned about a Christmas release. Money makes our heads spin, and customers are expected to suffer at cost.

• Shuar
    34 posts

@Ubi-Santa, thanks for your Christmas gift! A hand full of utter disregard for us!
    Cheers,
    Ubisoft customer no longer!

• Galeplay
    1 posts

• Started playing on December 24 with latest update.
    • Platform: PS5
    • Audio: HDMI -> Monitor -> Creative T40 Series II speakers
    • Audio output: Tested multiple different ones on PS5 settings, no noticeable difference.

Issues:

• Muffled audio
    • Tinny audio sounding badly compressed, no bass
    • Missing audio, mostly noticeable when raiding / big battles. All sound seems distant, like actual battle being far away. Not enough variation in sound atmosphere. Missing epic feeling on those huge raids.
    • Sometimes random NPC talking voices at distance are louder than own speech or battle.
    • Things don't sound like they should, like running on snow sounds fake (And I know how it sounds because I live in Finland.)
    • The sounds don't seem to vary between inside and outside, small or large space, echoey and non-echoey (snow absorbs sound very well, btw).

Other games tested: Demon's Souls, Ghost of Tsushima, Destiny 2 and Immortal Fenyx Rising... Non of those having any audio issues.

• Vitor_Braga21
    1 posts

Hey ubisoft what about upgrade your sound studio? xD

• RedIndianRobin
    188 posts

@vitor_braga21 They're a small indie studio, they can't afford it.

/s

• Evodas
    2 posts

Hi @Ubi-Woofer and Marry Christmas.

I'm also adding my report to the bunch:

• Did you start to play Valhalla before the initial game updates were released?

Bought it and started it playing only after 1.1.0 was released.

• What is your platform, and if on PC, what are your system specs? (CPU, GPU, RAM, etc.)

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 19041) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)
    Motherboard: Z370 AORUS Gaming K3
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8600K CPU @ 3.60GHz (6 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
    Memory: 16384MB RAM
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

• What is your audio set-up? Are you using a headset (wired or wireless?), a speaker system, a surround sound system, etc.?

Sometimes using simple speakers, sometimes headphones (wired) - does not matter which as problems are on both.

• What audio output is in use? 7.1, 5.1, Surround, Stereo?

Stereo

• Problems:
    1. The most apparent and immersion breaking - very silent music - especially the combat music. Example situation was just after arriving in England you fight the bandits - the music was barely audible. I lowered the FX sounds to 60 but that did not help much as raising my speaker sound also raises the voices so trying to get louder music you also make all characters scream.
    2. Also regarding music - the ambient music seems to be very rare even with High "frequency" setting.
    3. And as with most other reports - muffled/bad quality audio all around due to compression which was taken a bit too far this time 😕 A patch or at least an optional HD sound pack is definitely needed.

• Earlesj
    3 posts

Any update on whether this will even be fixed as the audio itself was recorded in a 1990s bitrate. I just started playing the game today on ps5. I literally had to quit after the first 30 minutes of gameplay. The audio sounds absolutely horrible. And I'm using an amp + high end headphone setup.

After playing demons souls and ghost of Tsushima which sounded beautiful... this game sounds absolutely horrendous. Which is a shame. Audio is a huge factor in immersion not just graphics.

• COSitsWORTHit
    2 posts
    This post is deleted!
  • els0609
    2 posts

@thorhammer96 I get your frustration but, unless you are in the seat and doing the work, don't be rude to those who are. If it's across all their games, I'm sure they know this by now and are working for a solution.

• Shuar
    34 posts

Thank you for the audio fix! With this I wish you a good 2021 where the good audio standards will no longer apply to games in general. At least your games.
    Cheers,
    @Ubi-Deafears

• Appnea
    1 posts

Thought I'd throw my info in just in case....

• Did you start to play Valhalla before the initial game updates were released?

No. Just bought yesterday and played for the first time

• What is your platform, and if on PC, what are your system specs? (CPU, GPU, RAM, etc.)

Operating System: Windows 10 Home
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z170XP-SLI
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600 CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Memory: 16384MB RAM
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070

• What is your audio set-up? Are you using a headset (wired or wireless?), a speaker system, a surround sound system, etc.?

Arctis 5 steelseries headset. Can hear issue on speakers as well but not as noticeable.

• What audio output is in use? 7.1, 5.1, Surround, Stereo?

Both 7.1 surround sound turned on and turned off.

• Problems:

/Extreme/ echoing on voice. I have tried with and without 7.1 setting on. The main character sounds like a robot 90% of the time, but not always. Sometimes when I go into the bird mode her voice is robotic, other times it is not. Same with any dialog.

I did send in a ticket as well. I haven't gone further than the first island as I'm scared I won't be able to get a refund if needed. I do NOT have any of these issues in Odyssey. This is the worst sound quality I've ever heard on any game ever... I'm hoping this is an unintended issue that will be fixed as I can't imagine how this was released in this state otherwise. I've been very excited to play and very heartbroken that I can't. If anyone has a setting or help for stopping the echoing specifically, I'd love to hear. I can't play because I can't understand what she is saying... not to mention how immersion breaking it is to run around a snowy forest and suddenly have a robot screaming in your ears.

• Raski0611
    107 posts

The assassins creed valhalla sound is like cyberpunks ps4 realease graphic bugs, difference is, ubisoft dogge the bullet. They knew it could be a reputation damage by admitting, admitting would raise attention to this issue, nobody would contradict official statement and say"no game sounds fine for AAA" and even halfdeaf people would sitstorming about bad sounds"(herd mentality).
    They were forced to fix, and fixing this is very big effort, no win for company.
    Their luck, only "irrelevant gamers" are shooting at them, gamemagazins either deaf, "bought" or scared.
    The ignore tactic worked so far, even the mods dont reply anymore.
    No significant amount people refund(or were able to) the game or dont buy further dlcs.

• Ryusennin
    96 posts

I'm ashamed to admit I finished the game 100% with the crippled audio, and I doubt I'll come back to it any time soon.

That's probably what Ubisoft silently expects from all players in the long term -- to stop complaining and get done with it.

Suggested Topics