Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Kinkslyy
    1 posts

So, I started to play AC Valhalla 2 days before and I decided to stop. Audio in this game is biggest trash in games ever. Iam audio guy, got expensive speakers and headphones and its simple. Music in this game is too too quiet, combat is a little quiet and voice of main character is too loud. This problem have many people, i checked on the reddit and other forums and much much more forums with people who have problem with this. I know most of people (mainstream) have bad speakers and they cant hear it. Its very annoying to play this and common fix this, its fiasco.

• katzenkrimis71
    162 posts

I am audio guy

====

My friend and I worked in the sound department. We were sound mixers/boom ops in the film industry. In fact, my friend still does it today.

Rick would laugh his butt off if he ever played this game.

We would have been fired if our standards were this low. No questions asked.

Big budget productions don't mess around. We'd never work again. It's that simple.

• Ubi-Woofer
    Ubisoft Support Staff 1009 posts

Hello everyone,

I sincerely apologise for the delay in our update of this thread. We have been monitoring these reports of issues with the audio of Assassin's Creed Valhalla closely, and having passed the information presented to the developers, they would like us to investigate each type of issue separately with anyone affected and gather additional information for their review.

As such, what I intend to do is break this thread down into several smaller threads, more accurately labelled for the different types of audio issues you are all experiencing, e.g. unbalanced sound effect levels, missing sound effects / dialogue / background music, etc. This will take me some time, and in order to do it as quickly as possible, I'll be locking this thread to new replies.

I'll list each of the new threads I create below, so that they can easily be accessed. I apologise if at any point I misunderstand the focus of any posts, and move them to the wrong individual thread(s). Please just tag me and let me know, and we can sort those out!

Thank you all for your patience regarding the audio issues you have been experiencing so far, and looking forward to digging into these even closer with you all when the split has been done. This original thread I'd like to leave as a general discussion of the audio quality in Assassin's Creed Valhalla; once I've moved the various reports out, and have unlocked the thread again, please don't hesitate to continue discussing this here in this thread. Do however post in one of the specific threads if wanting to report your particular issue with audio to us. Thank you! 🙂

New Audio Threads Created:

Update: Hello everyone! I have finished splitting off the separate issues into new threads, as you can read and visit above.

I have remerged the "compressed / low bitrate / poor quality" thread into the original thread, and this is the thread you are now reading. The thread is now reopened, and renamed to focus specifically on the issues originally raised by @CaptainStarPaw.

Please make sure to use the appropriate thread for the appropriate issue you are encountering.

Updated 01/07/2021

Official Response
  • Attanno_
    32 posts

As CaptainStarPaw stated in his orginal post, the game audio is still to this date very compressed and of horrible overall quality.

Artifactfs of compression are clearly audible on every of the plateforms. The audio sounds cheap and flat, mostly on the dialogues where the voices sound like if they were compressed in bad mp3 format.

• Currywurst120
    7 posts

I agree with @Attanno_

As already mentioned months ago, this video describes everything:

• Attanno_
    32 posts

Okay so I launched the game today after patching it and it is still clear that all the sounds (not only the voices, even tho it is more obvious on the voices) suffer terrible compression. The audio is muffled and sizzling/crackling it really is not clear and crisp. All is due to the terrible compression of the audio files. I'm sure that replacing the actual files with less compressed files should solve a lot of the problems people have with the audio.

The problem seems really obvious.

• CaptainStarPaw
    Original poster 50 posts

The core issue brought up right from the beginning was the awful bitrate and compression, which incidentally was the central topic of the now-locked thread https://discussions.ubisoft.com/topic/78569/audio-issues-bitrate-dynamics-balance-muffled-sounds-stuttering-volume-etc-post-here/2?lang=en-US&sort=newest_to_oldest

@Ubi-Woofer I understand the need to split out issues so that they can be clearly identified, but judging from the lack of involvement from the Ubi team, [months had already passed since your last official correspondence], I have yet to evidence of this issue being taken seriously.

When can we expect it to be investigated, and is there some sort of timeline or plan that you can communicate to us?

Thank you.

• ooblix_
    2 posts

Splitting a the big support topic into 8 threads, ignoring all of them, and then never unlocking the main thread is some next level support triaging.

• Attanno_
    32 posts

@ooblix_ divide and rule!

@Ubi-Woofer could you unlock the main thread again as you said you would ? Thx

• Raski0611
    107 posts

Sound good now?

• Attanno_
    32 posts

@raski0611 Still not sadly

@Ubi-Woofer is it possible to have an update from you on the status of the investigations or (hopefully) on an upcoming patch for this issue ?

Thx

• Attanno_
    32 posts
    This post is deleted!
  • Currywurst120
    7 posts

@Ubi-Woofer pls... just give us an update...

• Hubris423
    2 posts

I wanted to wait for this game to go on sale and finish cleaning up any kinks and stuff they have on initial launch and so I gave in and bought the game yesterday and immediately noticed the sounds were faint "hall" and hallow sounding, walking through the snow and hitting the crates and striking people I was like are you kidding me? I bought it on PS5 and as soon as you start downloading you cant get a refund, so I came here looking for issues and found that only a month ago a staff member of support has taken note of it and is sending it off to the devs, I dont think the devs are going to be fixing this because there is something wrong with their headsets and speakers, just watching their stream one of the designers voice sounded faint and low bass. [REMOVED] Or the devs wanted to appeal to all crowds and keep the space of the game low. But this was a terrible decision to compress the files so much and lower the quality the way they did, even for a PS5 version of the game is beyond nuts! The fact they even added a dialogue boost is something they noticed and tried to band-aid, I dont think they will reinvest money into fixing a quality of life issue. i've been playing AC since their first game man, I'm so [censored] off right now, I even bought the gold edition of the game for the DLC and I wont even get that far because the audio is so disconnecting from the game. I may as well turn the audio off and pretend I'm deaf.

• Attanno_
    32 posts

@hubris423 I feel you man. Some of us been waiting for a fix for almost 8 months now and we're still hoping for something to come. I'm still full of hope as it seems that this problem was acknowledged by the devs but this hope will perish sooner than later if nothing is done is the meantime. The problem is that there is no example of Ubi fixing something like this (AC origin's audio is still very bad to this day) so we can only hope that they'll do something.

• LBson2
    1 posts

I just finished playing God of War and wow, ear candy. It sounded like lossless audio, the soundstage, details- made me feel like I was part of the world they developed.

My brother had Valhalla and I jumped in right after God of War. I’m usually using my studio reference headphones.

As I started playing Valhalla there was something considerably wrong with the audio, it sounded verrry weak, hollow, like an old man trying to say his last words before he passed. I couldn’t even play Valhalla anymore bc of the audio, this is worse than the frame rate dips that cyberpunk had.

How is this game still being sold, it’s broken. The game would sound amazing if it weren’t overly compressed, how has this issue not been fixed yet.

I don’t think I’ll ever buy anything from Ubisoft this doesn’t get addressed at least. They should be offering everybody refunds until they fix it.

• UbiKobold
    Ubisoft Support Staff 636 posts

Hello everyone, and thank you all for providing individual updates on each of your experiences regarding this sound issue. I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you all, but would like to let each of you know that this is something the Game team is continuing to look into. If you have not already provided this information below, please add your details to this thread so that we may continue to forward this up.

• Did you start to play Valhalla before the initial game updates were released?
    • What is your platform, and if on PC, what are your system specs? (CPU, GPU, RAM, etc.)
    • What is your audio set-up? Are you using a headset (wired or wireless?), a speaker system, a surround sound system, etc.?
      • If using a headset, do you notice any difference if it is wired or wireless?
    • What audio output is in use? 7.1, 5.1, Surround, Stereo?
    • Can you provide a video from your gameplay that shows the audio issue that you are experiencing? For a video, post it to YouTube as unlisted and provide the link.

If you are playing on PC, creating a Support ticket and attaching your MSinfo and DxDiag files will be helpful as well. Just let us know when you have created a ticket so that we may gather these files.

Official Response
  • Attanno_
    32 posts

Hi @ubikobold,

I'd like to thank you for the support you provide to this thread, however I am a bit surprised by this new post of yours. Many people already gave their answers on the first main thread which was precisely about this issue of high compression/low bitrate/poor overall quality of the sound in this game. A lot of answers has already been provided and we are still waiting for a patch 8 months after the launch of the game.

I understand the questions you are asking are targeted towards people who didn't already answer them, but let me express my concerns about the last one : "Can you provide a video from your gameplay that shows the audio issue that you are experiencing? For a video, post it to YouTube as unlisted and provide the link."

Why is it asked in the first place ? Can't devs hear by themselves that this problem doesn't depend on the specs or the platfrom of the players but on the game itself ? It is crystal clear that this problem is linked to the high compression of the game audio files, it has been wonderfully demonstrated by the author of the main thread and I do not understand why it seems that we are currently beating around the bush like this. People only have to play the game or watch a non commentary youtube gameplay to understand how poor the sound design is and that it is directly linked to the game itself. It is not a bug, it is a design choice.

We can trace this tendency of reducing the audio files size back to Black Flag (and it was way less problematic), one good exemple of this trend is Origin who suffers high audio compression (still not corrected to this date) and Valhalla is the best example of this horrible trend.

I understand that we cannot put the blame on you and this message is not targeted at you personnaly, but I am deeply concerned about the involvement of Ubisoft on this matter. I am an Assassin's Creed fan since 2007, I own every single one of the games, I am involved in this thred as I want to help the game getting better, to finally enjoy it and finish it after shelving it for 8 months. Please do something.

Thank you

• CaptainStarPaw
    Original poster 50 posts

@ubikobold The questions you pose to us are not applicable within the context of this thread / issue.

AC: Valhalla uses Wwise for its audio. The internal audio or development team at Ubisoft Montreal would be able to resolve this issue by specifying a higher quality compression format & sample rate, instead of the one currently used across the board, irrespective of platform.

A detailed technical analysis has already been provided as per the Reddit thread and YouTube video.

Why are we still dancing around the issue? Are the moderators and support staff here actually reading the comments and listening to us?

Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/jx8lpc/analysis_assassins_creed_highlights_a_very/

YouTube video:

• cronucks
    5 posts

@UbiKobold I can understand the logic behind wanting to split the threads down for each specific issue. But given the lack of any solution 8 months on, it feels more like an attempt to dilute this issue down, and hope it goes away. I mean for goodness sake, the first link of your response in the original thread doesn't even work!

Please stop dancing around the issue, and give us a concrete idea of what is going on at Ubi's end. If you don't know, then tell us. If anyone at Ubi is really looking at this, then please tell us. We've been asked questions over and over, assured "the team is aware", etc. but we are yet to see any actual proof of it. We know absolutely nothing about what is going on, and the prospects of this being fixed seem to get lower by the day. Hopefully you can see this is a pretty frustrating situtation for the community?

I would also like to point out to any Australians here that under Victorian law, you're due a repair for a malfunctioning product. If the provider of the product doesn't repair in a timely manner, you're eligible to ask for a refund. Note also that this applies to a product you would not have bought if you had known about the issue before purchasing. See more at https://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/products-and-services/problems-with-a-product/faulty-product.

First you have to submit a formal complaint, which in my case support have helpfully forwarded to the relevant team. Or so they say, I didn't hear back from them in a month, by that time I had moved on with the next step of the process (I had asked for a resolution within 10 days; yeah I know right). If no repair is provided in a timely manner, then you are entitled to do a charge back on the transaction by asking your bank to do it. If the provider doesn't challenge it within a month, you are refunded.

This is how I got my refund.

Check you local legislation, hopefully wherever you are there is something similar that applies to you. It's a bit of trouble to go through, but don't be intimidated by the process, or by Ubisoft. If the law is on your side and there is a clear process about this, Ubisoft are not going to do anything. And if enough people kick up a stink about this, then maybe they will start paying attention. We have more rights as consumers than we are usually led to believe - especially by dodgy t&cs like Ubisoft's "you open the digital game you can't refund it". Well guess what, I did. And through no help from Ubisoft.

Take this into you own hands, Ubi are not going to change their practices if we take crap like this lying down.

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics