Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• ooblix_
    2 posts

Splitting a the big support topic into 8 threads, ignoring all of them, and then never unlocking the main thread is some next level support triaging.

• Attanno_
    28 posts

@ooblix_ divide and rule!

@Ubi-Woofer could you unlock the main thread again as you said you would ? Thx

• Raski0611
    107 posts

Sound good now?

• Attanno_
    28 posts

@raski0611 Still not sadly

@Ubi-Woofer is it possible to have an update from you on the status of the investigations or (hopefully) on an upcoming patch for this issue ?

Thx

• Attanno_
    28 posts
    This post is deleted!
  • Currywurst120
    7 posts

@Ubi-Woofer pls... just give us an update...

• Hubris423
    2 posts

I wanted to wait for this game to go on sale and finish cleaning up any kinks and stuff they have on initial launch and so I gave in and bought the game yesterday and immediately noticed the sounds were faint "hall" and hallow sounding, walking through the snow and hitting the crates and striking people I was like are you kidding me? I bought it on PS5 and as soon as you start downloading you cant get a refund, so I came here looking for issues and found that only a month ago a staff member of support has taken note of it and is sending it off to the devs, I dont think the devs are going to be fixing this because there is something wrong with their headsets and speakers, just watching their stream one of the designers voice sounded faint and low bass. [REMOVED] Or the devs wanted to appeal to all crowds and keep the space of the game low. But this was a terrible decision to compress the files so much and lower the quality the way they did, even for a PS5 version of the game is beyond nuts! The fact they even added a dialogue boost is something they noticed and tried to band-aid, I dont think they will reinvest money into fixing a quality of life issue. i've been playing AC since their first game man, I'm so [censored] off right now, I even bought the gold edition of the game for the DLC and I wont even get that far because the audio is so disconnecting from the game. I may as well turn the audio off and pretend I'm deaf.

• Attanno_
    28 posts

@hubris423 I feel you man. Some of us been waiting for a fix for almost 8 months now and we're still hoping for something to come. I'm still full of hope as it seems that this problem was acknowledged by the devs but this hope will perish sooner than later if nothing is done is the meantime. The problem is that there is no example of Ubi fixing something like this (AC origin's audio is still very bad to this day) so we can only hope that they'll do something.

• LBson2
    1 posts

I just finished playing God of War and wow, ear candy. It sounded like lossless audio, the soundstage, details- made me feel like I was part of the world they developed.

My brother had Valhalla and I jumped in right after God of War. I’m usually using my studio reference headphones.

As I started playing Valhalla there was something considerably wrong with the audio, it sounded verrry weak, hollow, like an old man trying to say his last words before he passed. I couldn’t even play Valhalla anymore bc of the audio, this is worse than the frame rate dips that cyberpunk had.

How is this game still being sold, it’s broken. The game would sound amazing if it weren’t overly compressed, how has this issue not been fixed yet.

I don’t think I’ll ever buy anything from Ubisoft this doesn’t get addressed at least. They should be offering everybody refunds until they fix it.

• UbiKobold
    Ubisoft Support Staff 541 posts

Hello everyone, and thank you all for providing individual updates on each of your experiences regarding this sound issue. I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you all, but would like to let each of you know that this is something the Game team is continuing to look into. If you have not already provided this information below, please add your details to this thread so that we may continue to forward this up.

• Did you start to play Valhalla before the initial game updates were released?
    • What is your platform, and if on PC, what are your system specs? (CPU, GPU, RAM, etc.)
    • What is your audio set-up? Are you using a headset (wired or wireless?), a speaker system, a surround sound system, etc.?
      • If using a headset, do you notice any difference if it is wired or wireless?
    • What audio output is in use? 7.1, 5.1, Surround, Stereo?
    • Can you provide a video from your gameplay that shows the audio issue that you are experiencing? For a video, post it to YouTube as unlisted and provide the link.

If you are playing on PC, creating a Support ticket and attaching your MSinfo and DxDiag files will be helpful as well. Just let us know when you have created a ticket so that we may gather these files.

Official Response
  • Attanno_
    28 posts

Hi @ubikobold,

I'd like to thank you for the support you provide to this thread, however I am a bit surprised by this new post of yours. Many people already gave their answers on the first main thread which was precisely about this issue of high compression/low bitrate/poor overall quality of the sound in this game. A lot of answers has already been provided and we are still waiting for a patch 8 months after the launch of the game.

I understand the questions you are asking are targeted towards people who didn't already answer them, but let me express my concerns about the last one : "Can you provide a video from your gameplay that shows the audio issue that you are experiencing? For a video, post it to YouTube as unlisted and provide the link."

Why is it asked in the first place ? Can't devs hear by themselves that this problem doesn't depend on the specs or the platfrom of the players but on the game itself ? It is crystal clear that this problem is linked to the high compression of the game audio files, it has been wonderfully demonstrated by the author of the main thread and I do not understand why it seems that we are currently beating around the bush like this. People only have to play the game or watch a non commentary youtube gameplay to understand how poor the sound design is and that it is directly linked to the game itself. It is not a bug, it is a design choice.

We can trace this tendency of reducing the audio files size back to Black Flag (and it was way less problematic), one good exemple of this trend is Origin who suffers high audio compression (still not corrected to this date) and Valhalla is the best example of this horrible trend.

I understand that we cannot put the blame on you and this message is not targeted at you personnaly, but I am deeply concerned about the involvement of Ubisoft on this matter. I am an Assassin's Creed fan since 2007, I own every single one of the games, I am involved in this thred as I want to help the game getting better, to finally enjoy it and finish it after shelving it for 8 months. Please do something.

Thank you

• CaptainStarPaw
    Original poster 45 posts

@ubikobold The questions you pose to us are not applicable within the context of this thread / issue.

AC: Valhalla uses Wwise for its audio. The internal audio or development team at Ubisoft Montreal would be able to resolve this issue by specifying a higher quality compression format & sample rate, instead of the one currently used across the board, irrespective of platform.

A detailed technical analysis has already been provided as per the Reddit thread and YouTube video.

Why are we still dancing around the issue? Are the moderators and support staff here actually reading the comments and listening to us?

Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/jx8lpc/analysis_assassins_creed_highlights_a_very/

YouTube video:

• cronucks
    5 posts

@UbiKobold I can understand the logic behind wanting to split the threads down for each specific issue. But given the lack of any solution 8 months on, it feels more like an attempt to dilute this issue down, and hope it goes away. I mean for goodness sake, the first link of your response in the original thread doesn't even work!

Please stop dancing around the issue, and give us a concrete idea of what is going on at Ubi's end. If you don't know, then tell us. If anyone at Ubi is really looking at this, then please tell us. We've been asked questions over and over, assured "the team is aware", etc. but we are yet to see any actual proof of it. We know absolutely nothing about what is going on, and the prospects of this being fixed seem to get lower by the day. Hopefully you can see this is a pretty frustrating situtation for the community?

I would also like to point out to any Australians here that under Victorian law, you're due a repair for a malfunctioning product. If the provider of the product doesn't repair in a timely manner, you're eligible to ask for a refund. Note also that this applies to a product you would not have bought if you had known about the issue before purchasing. See more at https://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/products-and-services/problems-with-a-product/faulty-product.

First you have to submit a formal complaint, which in my case support have helpfully forwarded to the relevant team. Or so they say, I didn't hear back from them in a month, by that time I had moved on with the next step of the process (I had asked for a resolution within 10 days; yeah I know right). If no repair is provided in a timely manner, then you are entitled to do a charge back on the transaction by asking your bank to do it. If the provider doesn't challenge it within a month, you are refunded.

This is how I got my refund.

Check you local legislation, hopefully wherever you are there is something similar that applies to you. It's a bit of trouble to go through, but don't be intimidated by the process, or by Ubisoft. If the law is on your side and there is a clear process about this, Ubisoft are not going to do anything. And if enough people kick up a stink about this, then maybe they will start paying attention. We have more rights as consumers than we are usually led to believe - especially by dodgy t&cs like Ubisoft's "you open the digital game you can't refund it". Well guess what, I did. And through no help from Ubisoft.

Take this into you own hands, Ubi are not going to change their practices if we take crap like this lying down.

• Dworkin_CZ
    6 posts

It is now clear the Ubi person who promised to re-open the original thread addressing audio issues with the game was indeed lying and that the real purpose was to diminish the presence of a huge thread pointing at problems Ubisoft doesn't want to fix because they introduced them in the first place. I also think the other Ubi person in this thread is lying, too (or being lied to, to be fair), if he states the dev team is still looking at the problems. It's clear now a decision was made higher up the food chain to make this quietly go away, possibly because saving money on using compromised audio is something Ubisoft wants to keep doing in the upcoming games. And that's where we need to focus our attention to. Ubisoft has already made heaps of money off Valhalla, but the money yet to be made can make them change the policy. So it's up to us to ask Ubisoft representatives again and again, whenever possible, if a upcoming game is going to use compressed, muffled, distorted and echoy audio. The gaming journalists will of no help, it seems, and we can only speculate why, but the times where they were the only ones to make things moving are gone, fortunately. I for one will harass Ubisoft whenever I see them anywhere on any social network. They've played us here, folks. They made us pay a full price for a broken game. We have every right to be angry.

• UbiKobold
    Ubisoft Support Staff 541 posts

Hello again, and sorry for my delay in getting back to you all. I wanted to start by apologizing if my response gave the impression of starting this as a new issue. I was just double checking to see if there were any other more recent reports that I could collect information from to continue forwarding up. I do understand the amount of time that has passed and again greatly appreciate your patience and contributions towards this matter. At this time I do not have any further information to provide from the Development team, but as soon as I have more information I will be sure to post it here.

Official Response
  • Attanno_
    28 posts

Hi @Ubi-Woofer,

Would it be possible to have some news from your side as you've been following this thread for a longer time ?

Can we expect to see the "Audio sounds compressed/of a low bitrate/poor" acknowledeged on the - "Known Issues" - thread any time soon ?

Also, when can we expect the main thread to be opened again ?

Thank you in advance

• halcyonrift
    25 posts

@attanno_

Oh, no.

This issue was one of the main reasons I abandoned this game at launch. I cannot tell you how thwarted I am to return more than a half a year later to learn it hasn't been resolved. I don't understand why they couldn't offer some form of high-definition audio pack, allowing players to decide if they want to use up more free storage rather than compressing the game's audio for everyone. What a shame.

• Attanno_
    28 posts

@halcyonrift

Yep that's sad but it hasn't changed at all since the issue was first brought up.

To my understanding the reason for this issue is double :

• Eventually free some storage space with lighter files
    • Hardware constraint : the consoles for which the game is primarily designed for, lack in ram. The ram being limited each team of devs have to work with a limited amount. Sound design being the poor relative of the game design, the major part of the ram is dedicated to the graphics, level etc but not the audio. The audio team ends up having to work with a very little amount of ram to store the unpacked audio data. The amount of audio files having to be played at a single time being huge in an open world of this size, the files have to be very highly compressed to be stored on the little amount of ram dedicated to the audio. However, this being said, it doesn't excuse Ubisoft at all. The state of the audio as it is now is the result of a decision to reduce the amount of ram dedicated to the audio and also a lack of time given to teams to optimise everything in order to implement audio files of higher quality. In a world where RDR2 exists no explanation about hardware constraints can be legitimately received. Even more, if there is indeed an insurmountable hardware restriction, allow people with better hardware to use a "high audio quality" preset or something. This already exists on console and PC for the graphics, do it for the sound then.
  • caosck
    172 posts
    @ubikobold The questions you pose to us are not applicable within the context of this thread / issue.

AC: Valhalla uses Wwise for its audio. The internal audio or development team at Ubisoft Montreal would be able to resolve this issue by specifying a higher quality compression format & sample rate, instead of the one currently used across the board, irrespective of platform.

A detailed technical analysis has already been provided as per the Reddit thread and YouTube video.

Why are we still dancing around the issue? Are the moderators and support staff here actually reading the comments and listening to us?

Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/jx8lpc/analysis_assassins_creed_highlights_a_very/

YouTube video:

I am a sound engineer, I have been playing Valhalla for a few months and I am very surprised not to have found any audio deficiency as written in the post: (I have the Italian version of the game)

obviously I've never played valhalla in the studio, so I start by electing my home setup:

focusritis 6i6
    akg 240 mkII
    Adam A7X
    KRK Rokit 6
    (I also use an environmental correction, using sonarworks)

I analyzed an audio of my gameplay, I paste:

48000Hz 2ch 32bps

to make an acceptable comparison of crowd and battle sound, for my part it is first of all necessary to disable the background music, so that an acceptable comparison can be made,

but if what about you is true, I would be interested in hearing a comparison, for example, between origins and valhalla, or previous BC.
    Not the same audio file exported first at 48 and then at 24 ... (it is obvious that you will hear abysmal differences ..!)

since i have neither origins nor odyssey i can't carry out this test, if someone takes to me the files, i'm very curious to make these comparisons 

• caosck
    172 posts

I add some details for those who are not familiar with the world of audio:

it makes sense to say that data compression (with relative loss of quality) is a plausible reason, if the goal is to have a smaller file size.

But in the world of audio, when it comes to the mastering stage,
    very many choose to sacrifice quality (I mean what you hear, not the sampling rate in a technical sense) to allow the listener to hear "better" in poor quality speakers XD
    (with better, I mean more understandable)

this happens in the world of music, imagine in video games ...

for the simple reason that more time passes, everyone listens from totally different speakers:

earphones
    passive speakers
    active cash desk
    low budget economic
    high-end headphones
    cheap TV
    TV with expensive stand
    etc etc

I mean .... how can you set a quality standard when you have such a large variety of speakers?
    (as I said above, you sacrifice details, transients, depth of field, even stereo, to make it more understandable on each type of different media)

obviously the price to pay is this, whoever enjoys quality instrumentation realizes the abysmal differences
    but even more, who has an ear education:

when it comes to ears .. we are all color blind ... certain things are not noticed if you have no ear education ...

personally, just installed valhalla, i set the sound effects to 30% and dynamic night mode, as i am not a big fan of battle noise .. XD

I say this, because I read many comments comparing the sound of valhalla to god of war
    (wrong comparison, different games, different houses, different choices)

with this I do not mean that you are wrong, I am very curious to analyze this data to get an idea .. 🙂 

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics