Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• 125 Likes/538 Replies/30497 Views
    CaptainStarPaw
    Original poster 51 posts

@caosck No, because that would derail the forum thread. I would be happy to have a conversation with you on DM though.

• caosck
    505 posts

I never play with headphones ..!
    I prefer to use my speakers!

last night I wanted to do a test using my AKG 240 MKII (with and without acoustic correction)
    and I must say that the result did not convince me at all

when compared to games from software and others..

the thing that amazed me the most, is to notice that the result from the speakers is much more acceptable, obviously I am talking about KRK and low-end monitors, if I play in my ADAM a7x, the sound effects such as (throw weapons shots, falls ) are perceived VERY sharp (suono tagliente), the first desire is always to decrease the volume ..(in my audio option i have setting sound effet to 30%)

I think the voices and dialogue are acceptable, but there is probably something wrong with some environmental decoding ..
    (depending on where the character is, the audio is transformed to give a proximity effect, and characteristics of the territory, such as a house, or a cave) 

I think that there is an exaggerated compression in terms of dynamics,
    I don't feel a huge gap between low and loud ...

this can help destroy the sound

• Funkster39
    4 posts
    This post is deleted!
  • Funkster39
    4 posts

Same issues here consistent on multiple platforms.

Issue: Muffled Dialogue from NPC, Eivor dialogue super loud, Various imbalances in sound as mentioned throughout the thread......footsteps etc etc. This issue is throughout the game in cut scenes and normal gameplay.

Platforms:
    Xbox One X over Denon / DTS & Dolby Surround system
    PC (Ryzen 3900x , 2080 TI, 32gb, Realtek Audio-5.1 Speakers and headphones (Corsair Virtuoso)

This is clearly not a hardware issue when the same issue is manifest on multiple platforms / hardware with a myriad of settings. No other issues with any other game sound.

UBI - Please be grown up and admit the issue then patch it without making your paying customers and community jump through wholly unnecessary scripted troubleshooting!

• CaptainStarPaw
    Original poster 51 posts

@caosck Yes, you are comparing bread and butter. Your description is a classic case of equipment-fever and the rather unfortunate obsession with sound perception. It is possible to mask technical issues due to the way hardware/speakers and proximity to audio results in a different experience.

A person should not have to attain an ideal setup in order to have a pleasant experience. It should sound great regardless if we use speakers or headphones, but more-so on headphones if spacialization is done correctly. We're not here to make excuses for Ubisoft and mitigate the issue ourselves, especially when we're already $60 out of pocket from a game with literally, and technically, garbage quality sound.

• caosck
    505 posts

@captainstarpaw
    I think the bad quality is not due to the lossy compression as so much accused in this post

Does the fact that this specific case interests me bother you so much? What are you afraid of? or do you just want to be right at all costs? XD ..

but to be right you need to write concrete things ... not the wikipedia manual that you brought with you, my dear sound engineer ...

I, by profession, am interested in trying to understand things, I don't go around screaming at everyone to have the truth in my pocket like you do

good luck!

• bielik01
    893 posts

@captainstarpaw sound in Valhalla is nowhere near as bad as it was in Origins.

• CaptainStarPaw
    Original poster 51 posts

@caosck On the contrary, you are doing nothing to understand the predicament, and you have instead chosen to ignore the proven analysis.

The problem is specifically with the sample rate and lossy compression.

Not my problem if you want to live in a bubble. I'm not going to waste my time continuing this conversation.

• CaptainStarPaw
    Original poster 51 posts

@bielik01 Origins was bad too.

But I did look in detail at the sounds_sfx.pck file.

After extracting the audio from Origins, I discovered that the ambient background sounds (wind, birds chirping etc.) were bounced to 44.1 kHz, with a higher quality bitrate than what was used for Valhalla.

So it actually isn't as bad, overall. Valhalla chose to compromise quality across the board.

• caosck
    505 posts

ok, if you think you are right, give me the proof :°D

you have been repeating the same thing for 2 days they cannot be called facts .. especially considering your childish attitude .. from experience I know that those who are really good at his job don't waste all this time trying to convince others of his opinion, speak only if paid! 🙂

since the first post, I have been careful to show my doubts about it.

• Ubi-Borealis
    Ubisoft Support Staff 3920 posts

Hello there,

Thank you for continuing to share your reports regarding the audio issues you have encountered in Assassin's Creed: Valhalla. I would like to take a moment to remind you all of our forum rules, and that we ask you remain on-topic within a thread. Going off-topic can cause confusion within a thread, and can result in information being lost. Any further off-topic discussion will be removed from this thread. If you would like to have an alternative discussion about the audio in Assassin's Creed: Valhalla, you are more than welcome to start a new thread in our General Discussions forums 🙂

If you are encountering trouble with audio quality in-game, and you have not already provided us with a report, please provide us with as much as the following information as possible:

Please answer the following questions for the development team:

• What platform(s) do you play Assassin's Creed Valhalla on?
    • Can you please describe the nature of the audio issues you are facing and their severity (e.g. compression, low bitrate, poor quality).
    • Did you start to play Valhalla before the initial game updates were released in November 2020?
    • Can you recall during which quests / cutscenes you first noticed these audio issues?
    • What is your audio set-up? Are you using a headset (wired or wireless?), a speaker system, a surround sound system, etc.? Please list the exact devices and their model numbers / names if possible.
      • If using a headset, do you notice any difference if you are using it wired or wireless?
    • What type of audio output is in use? (i.e. 7.1, 5.1, Surround, Stereo?)

Please provide the relevant resources below for the development team to review:

• (PC) Provide your system specs (CPU, GPU, RAM, etc.) and your MSINFO and DXDIAG files in a support case
    • Provide details of any troubleshooting steps already attempted, including the make / model numbers of any alternative audio devices tested
    • Provide a screenshot of your in-game audio settings
    • Provide a video demonstrating the issue(s) you are experiencing (please upload this to an external site such as YouTube, and provide the link here in the thread)

This information is very helpful as the development team investigate this issue further. If you open a support ticket to share your system files, please can you share your ticket number within this thread so we can forward the information to the developers.

@caosck - I've watched the video you've sent us, and I can also hear a bit of echoing/muffling, especially when Hrothgar speaks at the beginning. I'd like to forward this to the development team so they can take a closer look. Before we do this, would you be able to provide us with answers to the questions listed above, so we can include this information in your report to the development team.

@Funkster39 - Thanks for taking the time to share your report with us, and to let us know more about the audio set-up you use on both PC and Xbox. To ensure that we have all of the required information for the development team, can you fill in the report provided above with as much information as possible? In particular, if you are able to share any video footage which demonstrates the audio issues you're encountering in-game, this will be helpful for the investigation.

Thank you 😊

Official Response
  • caosck
    505 posts

@ubi-borealis

it is normal that there is some echoing / muffling ... the speaking character is a couple of meters in front of me, so the game tries to simulate a proximity effect (the result is acceptable, but probably the users of this forum expect MUCH more to be pleasantly surprised) certainly in the headphones, there are many more discrepancies

I want to emphasize that the audio quality we were talking about only concerns the "sound effects" not the spoken dubbing ..!

I repeat,
    I have not posted on this topic because I have had audio quality problems
    i was I amazed at such fierce complaints about audio on valhalla

• Attanno_
    34 posts

@caosck Dude, the problematic of audio compression we're discussing here concerns the audio of the game in general, this being the sound effects as well as the voices.

Hundreds of people share the same observations as the OP (this being on this thread or on Reddit) and dozens of comments on this thread carry the same complaints of bad audio quality.

I don't really understand why you try to diminish the validity of our complaints, but because you don't hear the problem doesn't mean that there is none (at this point even Ubi-Borealis hears it). If you don't have any problem with the sound that's fine but don't try to invalidate the people who have, this is not helping and we desperately need a fix.

• CaptainStarPaw
    Original poster 51 posts

@attanno_ he's just a delusional Ubi fan boy. I've been trying to talk to him on chat but he literally ignores every single fact.

He does not want to acknowledge the proven analysis that I spent a huge amount of time writing up. Instead his counter argument is: "No, you're wrong".

He does not understand basic audio encoding fundamentals. The majority of people understand this in today's day and age, and it doesn't take much to learn about it either.

Grade A troll if I ever met one, and a huge waste of time.

• CaptainStarPaw
    Original poster 51 posts

@caosck News flash. This is a thread specifically for people experiencing audio quality problems. Please go elsewhere if you have nothing to contribute. At this point, all you are doing is spamming this thread with your personal disagreements, and ignoring all the presented facts.

• Ubi-Borealis
    Ubisoft Support Staff 3920 posts

Thank you for clarifying your posts further for me, @caosck, and for taking the time to share your feedback about the in-game audio.

I'm happy to hear that you aren't encountering any audio quality problems. If you do have any concerns about the audio quality, you are more than welcome to share your reports with us here and we'll gladly take a closer look for you.

I appreciate that you would like to gather more feedback from players about their own experiences and opinions regarding this issue. To prevent us from going too off-topic within this thread, I invite you to open up a new thread about this within the General Discussions forums. This way, we can keep the thread concise with reports of the issue for the development team to investigate further, as this thread is specifically for players who are encountering problems with the audio quality.

Thanks! 😊

Official Response
  • Funkster39
    4 posts

@ubi-borealis The information I have provided should be sufficient and covers your questions as to -when (all the time) , what (muted sounds, unbalanced sound) and on multiple platforms.

I really shouldn't have to provide any further information on hardware as this is rather redundant. An issue that is present on multiple platforms/setups is not going to be due to settings. This is basic troubleshooting.

After working in senior IT positions for over 25 years I appreciate your query however there comes a point when the issue is glaringly not the client hardware as is the case here. Can UBISOFT state that they have tested and not been able to reproduce the issue? And if so on what hardware.... perhaps there is a recommended setting?

FYI - I have made the sound a slightly more bearable with the following settings however this is purely a workaround and does not solve the muted sounds and general mix imbalance in particularly the BOOMING voice of Eivor or super loud footsteps, jump landings etc etc..

Music Volume 85%
    Sound effects 40%
    Dialogue Boost Off
    Audio Dynamic Range Medium

It may or my not help while we pray for UBI to fix what is otherwise a great game!

PS - I also tried various EQ settings on my PC but to no avail. Basically the volume balance and quality of sounds including compression need to be fixed by UBI.

• caosck
    505 posts
    This post is deleted!
  • Funkster39
    4 posts
    This post is deleted!
  • Ubi-Woofer
    Ubisoft Support Staff 1195 posts

Hey @funkster39,

I merged your two recent posts together to keep all of the information you provided together. I hope that you don't mind!

We have passed forward the information you provided previously already, as well as some of the additional comments you have provided in this recent post now. However, it would be helpful if you could fill in the template we previously provided in full, in particular providing a video demonstrating the issues you are experiencing for the development team to review. These resources are integral for the investigation, and help the team to assess the extent of the issues being experienced across different platforms as well as on different set-ups.

The troubleshooting we recommend is to rule out any localised or basic issues that may be impacting sound performance in-game; it is important that all players run through this to begin with to ensure that the issue being experienced lies within the game itself and not dependent upon the set-up in use, or individual settings.

Thank you for sharing a workaround you have found by changing the volume levels in-game; hopefully it can help other players!

We'll continue to update this thread with new requests for information if any is needed, as well as gathering new reports and forwarding them on. To all players newly arriving in this thread, please make sure to fill in the template previously provided and provide a video as well of the issues you're encountering! Thank you.

Official Response

Suggested Topics