Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• SpirantCrayon22
    Original poster 438 posts

After sleeping all night I opened the page and was still logged in. I posted a response to a topic, took me maybe 15 minutes including getting a mug of tea. AFTER that, the forum did its "looks like your connection doesn't match" or whatever it says when it's timed out. Well, I suppose it's a time-out message given the hours without activity, but of course it happened badly/wrongly/late.

I guess it's a security-related issue (though of course it's not a problem) so it's worth raising.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Ubi-Woofer
    Ubisoft Support Staff 1061 posts

Hey @spirantcrayon22, thanks for posting here on the forums about this time-out message. I apologise if the log out occurred at an inconvenient time!

Would you be able to tell me roughly how long the session will have lasted in total, including your idle / offline time? Have you noticed that you are logged out frequently, or is it normally just after leaving the browser window open while your PC / device is in sleep mode?

The forum development team are investigating reports of frequent log outs at the moment, and I have personally seen the session time-out message myself before mid-session, though I haven't yet been able to determine if there is a regular interval of time at which it asks me to reauthenticate. As such, any additional information you might have on your own experience would be helpful!

Thanks! 🙂

Official Response
  • SpirantCrayon22

@ubi-woofer

Thanks for responding. I don't really have any problems with getting logged out but that's not really why I posted anyway.

The issue is that after a long period away the forum responds as if I'm still logged in and *then* decides to kick me out after some length of time. The fact it let me post a topic before kicking me out feels like a security issue, if the log-out fails to activate when it should . . .

• Ubi-Woofer

Thank you for your reply, @spirantcrayon22. Just to confirm - as I fear I may have misunderstood your initial post - when you see the connection time-out message, does the page merely refresh, or are you actively logged out of Discussions and required to sign back in? As it is the latter that I understood your initial post to mean. This is why I questioned any incidents with log outs, as these are already under investigation.

If you could answer the questions I asked in my previous reply relating to your session length, it would be a big help, as then I can query this with the forum developers to see if we have an expected window after which you would be logged out / the session would time out. I can also query whether it is normal for the time-out to occur after activity is resumed, as it may be that the time is considered as an interval, rather than in terms of active time.

If this is happening frequently, and you think that you could provide a screen recording demonstrating the issue as well, that would be very helpful. I haven't encountered the time-out message recently after leaving myself logged in overnight with my laptop on Sleep Mode, so we will need to identify some reproduction steps if it is still occurring. Thank you for your help in advance! 🙂

Official Response
  • SpirantCrayon22

@ubi-woofer

I managed to edit out a bit of text! I'll try and pay attention to when it happens but so far I can see nothing specific, that's what I had written and then deleted. Not much of a pattern other than when I've been away from the page for a while. I think it's when I leave the page open in the browser but don't look at it for a long (hours) period. Beyond that, not sure.

• Ubi-Woofer

Thanks for the reply, @spirantcrayon22. A final question from me would be, do you normally have multiple instances of Discussions open at a time? Or do you just have one single tab / window open?

Thanks! 🙂

Official Response
  • SpirantCrayon22

@ubi-woofer

I tend to have a few tabs open on various different pages (news, random searches for whatever). Just now the first page I went to was this forum. Immediately on opening it (this is after a restart I think) the page showed unread topics but it corrected itself within seconds to a logged-out state. If I get a state where it's open for longer than that I'll try and remember to remember what I did.

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics