Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• CazBot
    Original poster 18 posts

This is the second weekend in a row that I could not get through the inventory management minigame of Division 2. I went through weapons and salvaged the weapons that didn't have the potential to be perfect. I went through the 150 armor items in my avatar's backpack and combined them, category by category, with the 300 items in the stash, then salvaged the lesser of each item. This took about an hour, all the time I had to play games. As usual.

Division 2 is broken. There were always quirks, such as bad guys spawning behind you or the fact that you have to pop up out of cover to shoot the suicidal enemy that just ran behind you. I mean c'mon--the suicidal guy is on the same side of the cover as you, why can't you just turn your head and shoot him without popping up out of cover? These are relatively minor issues that should be fixed but, if not, the game is still a good time.

Spending most of my playing time on inventory management is not a viable scenario. I work hard when I am working and I expect to play, mostly, when I am playing. Inventory management is a chore which I would far rather not do.

The king of inventory management games is, of course, Bethesda. They have separate inventory items for pans that are different colors, which don't stack with each other. But you know, having 40 different kinds of armor for each slot is almost as annoying.

If I play for an hour, I will collect probably 100 items. Meaning every time I play this game, I have to muck through my inventory and toss all the inferior items. Which takes at least half an hour, often more. This is a bad drudgery to fun ratio.

I have a couple of suggestions:

1. Remove all limits on inventory, or at least the limits on the stash. This way, if I feel like dealing with inventory, I can. If I don't feel like dealing with inventory, I can put it off. This is the only way I can stand to play Bethesda games, by modding out inventory management. Does not seem to be an option in Division 2.
    2. Simplify inventory. Get rid of half the armor, most of these armor sets are not really viable for high-end play so what is the point. All those guns with the same specs should just be the same guns.
    3. Get rid of SHD calibration and field research data. The only purpose of these resources is to hinder progress on improving armor and weapons. Not fun, annoying.
    4. Do statistical analysis of the inventory items in the game. Anything that is useless, ditch it. Armor that nobody uses, ditch it. Streamline.
    5. Get your head in the game. Play the game and see for yourself how boring and time-sucking your inventory management has become. Stay on top of things, because video games are the art form and the cultural apex of our times. This is your legacy. You have a great game, due to your own hard work. Don't let it all go down the drain over something as pedestrian as inventory management.

I'm just going to acknowledge the two most likely troll responses to this post.

1. I am aware that pacing player progress through game content is necessary. I would rather grind than sort doodads, so take that into account.
    2. Second, I acknowledge that I should have learned faith and acceptance from the gatekeepers of goodness. Well, I didn't. I will do my own thinking and I will question things that don't make sense, and so should you.
    3. Go ahead and tell me to only pick up items I think I can use, if it makes you happy. I'm not going to do that, because when I'm shooting stuff I don't want to muck through inventory right then and there. I would rather not have to deal with it at all.

Spending precious leisure time mucking through inventory is drudgery, and not at all fun.

I am curious to see what you, the community, thinks about this topic. I might be the only person that hates inventory management games! Well, let me know either way. I would especially like to see thoughtful responses, but I can live with "git gud" and "you don't know anything" as comments if that's what you come up with.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• N3mB0t
    359 posts

@cazbot not trying to be mean or anything like that but you seem to be playing the wrong game , why dont you choose a game with less inventory and bugs instead of trying to tailor this one to your needs?

• the_Kettle
    148 posts

It sounds like you're a 'hoarder', trying to maintain a collection of every potentially-useful item in the game - obviously this game doesn't suit that approach (hence your post), but you're more likely to successfully change your approach than change the game. I'd advocate the following:

Firstly, instead of the 'one of everything' wish-list, limit yourself to items in builds you actually play or particularly want to play: you want a short enough list here that you can maintain a mental list of what particular items, secondary rolls & talents you need (instead of having to actually compare against your existing items). If you haven't already, I'd recommend taking a look at some recommended builds other people have put together to get an idea of what's most useful and what isn't.

Secondly, develop a habit of glancing at loot drops when you pick them up, quickly judging them against your mental wish-list, and marking as junk anything that doesn't fit - which is likely to be the vast majority of it. Once you get used to it, it takes barely a second per loot item to evaluate and grab, far quicker than manually going through everything later. This way, whenever your inventory gets full, you can simply hit the 'scrap everything marked as junk' key and it'll all go away.
    You may potentially scrap some good item that would have been handy in a future build you haven't considered yet, but that's a risk worth taking for the time & effort it saves you, and there will always be more loot drops in the future.

On a side note, I suspect a 'bottomless stash' would turn out to be a terrible idea, without good discipline it would be far too easy to let it build up to an unmanageably huge task to sort & tidy!

• CazBot
    Original poster 18 posts

@the_kettle Greatly appreciate the wisdom and the civil, helpful attitude. Yes, in order to play this game I will have to adopt the "trash it when you get it" approach you advocate. I will discover for myself whether I can live with this, by simply giving it a shot.

Doesn't fix the bloated and time-sucking inventory situation. Hey, you helped the best you could.

Thank you for a well-thought and well-intended (and genuinely helpful) post, the_kettle.

• CazBot
    Original poster 18 posts

@n3mb0t Good thinking. Let's have me (and anyone else that doesn't like mucking through a bloated and time-wasting inventory system) just quit and do something else. I wonder how many people have done this already?

Not to be mean, but the first tool in my toolkit isn't "give up and go away".

Let's see if your method works. You were not immediately successful in getting me to give up so you should give up and go away. *Waits to see what happens.*

• N3mB0t
    359 posts

@cazbot so... you want to turn this , a looter shooter, into a one gun , one gear , no management game for your pleasure and convenience and im the unreasonable one?

you really sound like someone playing the wrong game , my advice aims not at making you angry but at saving you a lot of time and patience , you didnt like it ? tough stuff , but its the truth.

im over SHD6k and i still do inventory management , so brace yourself for your attempt at turning this into a COD game without giving up on a lot of the game features ,and its those same features that make the game fun in the long run , but please do like all the copycats , go on YT copy a red build from someone and run that for all the hundreds of repetitions this game has to offer , good luck and have fun.

ohhh and that answer to the poster before me ? might as well call me by my name , no need for that industrial dose of sarcasm.

• SevenNVD
    84 posts

Loot 2.0 already is a great improvement over loot 1.0. The stat value bars can give an immediate glance of how well the item is rolled.

How would you improve this even further without scrapping half of the loot out of the game?

And would a limitless stash not make the situation even worse?

• tcarlisle2012
    147 posts

Except, it shouldn't take more than about 10 minutes per 5 hours played to effectively manage inventory. Over the past couple of years, this studio has done some good work to make the "pick it up/leave-t" decision a lot easier, and also make it a lot easier to go through inventory and make the keep/discard decision.

If one wants to play this game in a way that is to pick everything up and deal with it later, that is going to lead to a lot of frustration. Its kicking the can.

No one expects players to manage inventory or examine drops in the heat of the battle. But after every battle in this game, there will be a calm where you can take a moment to look at drops. Definitely in missions, bounties, and even open world.

That said, I have advocated for implementing a feature to give us the ability to create a whitelist of the things we do want, so it is easier to just disregard drops because you can see clearly it has nothing you have marked as wanted. I do think there is a lot of value in such a feature, and that it should be done.

I would also like to see a way of "favoriting" an item that you DON'T have, so that if it drops it makes distinct sound, looks markedly different, etc. and also becomes "favorited" when you pick it up. For example, Dark Winter is only found in DZ, but is also found in at least on of the seasons outside of the DZ. So I often tell new players to be on the lookout, and make sure they pick up items like this. Even if their play style today doesn't need it, they may wish they had it later down the road.

• N3mB0t
    359 posts

And would a limitless stash not make the situation even worse?

precisely this , OP is like children who want all the candy , and someone has to step in and explain that would do him much more harm than the tummy pain he is already complaining about.

good thing there isnt any need for a thinking process to breathe all day , or some people would simply colapse.

• SevenNVD
    84 posts
    I would also like to see a way of "favoriting" an item that you DON'T have, so that if it drops it makes distinct sound, looks markedly different, etc. and also becomes "favorited" when you pick it up.

I've made the same suggestion a while back, and this would be such a great feature. A symbol in the lootbeam similar to how you see named items for "wishlist" items could be a great QoL improvement.

• xcel30
    404 posts

What i do to avoid having to stop every time a item drop to filter it , clear inventory and so on is to have 30 invetory space on me free, then pickup everything as trash, when i finish the mission i just sell it to the nearest vendor and filter whats good from the buy back. If i'm not looking at naything in particular i just go around breaking what i don't need (i'm not looking for any kneepads so just break all kneepads that drop unless they have the max roll simbol)

• CazBot
    Original poster 18 posts

@n3mb0t You came back! I suspected you didn't really believe in pro-active quitting. It would be easy to just assume you're ornery, but I doubt that is your real motivation. I think you are defending your favorite game, and you found my complaint about excessive inventory management to be an attack on your game that needed defending.

Unfortunately, I am right about inventory management being out of control. 'Defending the game' equates to conservatism, keeping things the same. I see your point of view, I see you as a person with motivations that are not really questionable. That said, I see no need to take any crap from you, either. So this will be a civil discussion or you might get your feelings hurt.

I don't claim to be more important than you, but I do lead redditdads and I represent hundreds, (not thousands anymore) of players.

I want this fixed. I want to hear the pitter patter of little feet running raids and fornicating the dark zone. Like you, I am a fan of Div2. But this fan wants to expand the game rather than preserve the status quo.

Things change or things die. I'm not your enemy, we are on the same side. Why don't you help me out rather than testing my limits.

• CazBot
    Original poster 18 posts

@sevennvd You are correct that I want to get rid of half the loot. You are correct that I want unlimited inventory. I want to get rid of half of the loot so as to reduce the amount of drek I have to sift through. I want unlimited inventory so that I don't have to deal with it as often.

Why do you want all of this useless crap? Please enhance your reply with reasoning and examples. Why do you believe unlimited inventory would make things worse?

You ask, "Wouldn't unlimited inventory just make things worse?"

Answer: No, unlimited inventory would permit me to play until I got done playing, and deal with the loot later. No more stopping on floor 30 to sell modules and on every few floors to scavenge trash guns and gear. I could play, get in the flow, and have a great time just playing. That is what I want.

• CazBot
    Original poster 18 posts

@xcel30 This is a superb suggestion of how to get the best play session from the existing system.

I am excited to give this method a try (mark everything trash, sell it, review in buyback screen).

Thank you for the suggestion!

• dagrommit
    780 posts
    @sevennvd You are correct that I want to get rid of half the loot. You are correct that I want unlimited inventory. I want to get rid of half of the loot so as to reduce the amount of drek I have to sift through. I want unlimited inventory so that I don't have to deal with it as often.

Why do you want all of this useless crap? Please enhance your reply with reasoning and examples. Why do you believe unlimited inventory would make things worse?

Why are you picking it up in the first place if you consider it crap? It takes less than a second to determine whether an item is of a worthy 🙄 type or brand. You're also assuming that items aren't useful to other players simply because you don't find them useful. Hint: not everyone plays "high end" content.

Unlimited inventory would mean they'd have to increase server capacity to keep track of all those items, as well as increased bandwidth to keep your profile in sync.

• CazBot
    Original poster 18 posts

@tcarlisle2012 This is obviously a sensible idea, maybe if we all punch the like button on this post a dev will give it some consideration.

In case my reply gets separated from the tcarlisle2012 post, he is advocating a 'favorite' system that highlights items that match some filter that the player sets. This is intended to simplify the decision of keep or ditch, and I think it would work.

Dear readers: Please locate tcarlisle2012's post and like it. Thank you for considering this request.

• CazBot
    Original poster 18 posts

@dagrommit You're worried about server space? Your heart is in the right place, and I do appreciate you spending the time to answer me. But servers have come a long way since anybody had to worry about server space for storing data. Server storage last I looked generally includes tens of terabytes of data on a standard server. A page of single-space text is about 2kb, and could easily accommodate the entire current inventory. So a 10TB server could handle 500,000,000 of the current inventory. If you doubled or quadrupled or even used 100x as much data, it would not make a material impact on any relatively modern server. Data is very, very cheap.

• dagrommit
    780 posts

@cazbot if you want an unlimited inventory, they're going to have to ensure they have access to sufficient storage to handle that for every player. All 40 million of them. They already said server performance was the limiting factor when they last increased inventory space.

Plus, they have to take into account performance on last-gen consoles where CPU performance and memory was already limited (as your inventory is loaded in memory).

• CazBot
    Original poster 18 posts

@dagrommit I do respect your loyalty to the game and your fact-based, civil discussion style. I am addressing your points and I want to be clear that there is no shade being cast on your facts or your logic.

• 40 million players at 2kb each would take up 80 Gig. That's nothing on a server.
    • Ubisoft saying that server performance is impacted by inventory space is more likely to mean that they want to slow down player progression but cannot tell the players that. I have extensive experience with far larger datasets, and their story is not credible.
    • I am trying to be kind, dagrommit, but the last database to load the dataset into memory was FoxPro, in the 90s. You can easily confirm this with a google search. That kind of dataset is called a "flat file" and is very rare these days.

Bethesda and Ubisoft are the inventory management developers. They use overly convoluted inventory to slow player progression and Bethesda uses it to sell subscriptions. Data is very, very cheap. Unlimited inventory would be a rounding error (in other words, trivial) on the servers hosting this game.

• dagrommit
    780 posts

@cazbot I suggest you watch this video on Division 2's server performance:

Note how they load the map data (all 34GB of it) into memory. And support 1000 players in their own game worlds per server. Point being, your experience from 30 years ago might be a tad out of date.

And in case you didn't notice, I also referenced memory limits on last-gen consoles. Not just consoles.

/edit - and for additional info on how tight the memory budget is on consoles: https://forums.ubisoft.com/showthread.php/2178843-The-rocky-history-of-Audio-in-The-Division-2

Suggested Topics