ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• N3mB0t
    Original poster 786 posts

its really fun and makes me feel good to help others reaching their goals ,its a laughing stock when you get into a new player game doing the campaign and kill them all with just the tick of the vile mask along with the foam but i have a couple of caviats with this sheperding thing:

1 - the rank seasonal reset, why? it makes no sense to be able to keep the DZ rank , which is mostly gained via ganking other people , and not be able to keep the rank that says how helpful you are.
    2 - make the double endordement be automatic , i prefer to spend more time with any given player and be sure ill receive my endorsement than to receive the automatic one and then having go after the player im helping asking constantly in the chat for him to endorse me just to see him run away like he has no chat or simply disconnect while not giving a F about it.

apart from this 2 things i really enjoy helping others and ill keep doing it , its just that it could be better in terms of rewarding our game time.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• YodaMan3D
    0 posts

@n3mb0t

It is fun helping others, especially when you are able to mentor as well.

Sadly, building up a couple of mules. Two things that I fine odd is what some consider helpful.
    1st. have had more then a few join. Once endorsed, they are gone.
    2nd. With some of the builds some players use. They speed run so fast that the one's they are suppose to help, can't keep up.

I did enjoy seeing it from both sides recently though.

• N3mB0t

@yodaman3d

that is true , both points , most people do act that way , they just want their endorsement and couldnt care less about the player they are helping.

as for myself i never leave until i finished the one actvity where i got my endorsement , and even then i ask the player if he needs any more help, yesterday i spent more than 30 minutes , and after the endorsement , helping a player level up from 15 to 22 in story mode just because he asked me to do it , time i could have spent getting a couple more endorsements.

as for speed running its tough to sheperd slow when you one shot everything but i also usualy ask the player if im going to fast because i dont want to ruin their experience , most couldnt care less and are happy to plow through , others want to enjoy it a bit but those are rare from my experience , either way i always stop at any door or button or puzle and wait until the player figures it out by himself giving only a few pointers when needed.

• Halo-572
    1 posts

@yodaman3d Always been the same problem since I am not sure when.

It was certainly a problem in Diablo 2 and that was nearly 20 years ago now.

I have never liked being helped nor helping simply because of the rushers, unfortunately most people want to speed run in games when they are helping/being helped.

• MisterFibble
    27 posts

The thing thats always held me back from doing any shepherding is that I have never found it enjoyable to be dragged through content by someone who can one shot everything without breaking a sweat and since I've not kept any lower grade gear I don't want to ruin someones enjoyment of the game. Or indeed breeze them past hurdles where they miss out on something that will help them learn the game. I tired and stopped playing warframe several times because folk of "helping" and reducing the games fun factor to zero.

Back when I played wow my method for helping lowbies was to be more of a backup or bodyguard where they did the legwork and I stepped in before things went [censored] up but that style of play is uncommon to say the least since there's the myth in gaming that endgame is everything and the journey should be rushed as fast as possible.

• YodaMan3D
    0 posts

@misterfibble

No reason not to mentor others. Just because you can one shot everything, doesn't mean you have to. You could just make sure that they don't get handed their hides from a Rusher.

• tcarlisle2012
    170 posts

I don't shepherd often, but when I do I like to make it obvious to the session owner "It's your show, bro.... or sis".

I don't push forward before they collect loot and gather themselves, I don't play strong unless they are playing strong. If they go down, I make it a priority to give a rez.

It is a shame they didn't really devise a good scoring system to reward people who do this often. And yes, that the thing resets is completely a de-motivating.

• SuicideHero793
    21 posts

Spoken like true Sheppards. Hold the door, keep the killing frenzy in check, be their support, ask questions "going to fast" "can we speed run", being the best you can be. How do you reward this awesome Sheppard? How do you stop the the grab and go's? How do we make it worth it - using our time to help others when we could be bettering ourselves?

• Noxious81
    770 posts
    (...) I don't push forward before they collect loot and gather themselves, I don't play strong unless they are playing strong. If they go down, I make it a priority to give a rez. (...)

That's a very good of shepherding. In fact, I also adjust my gameplay during any kind of MM-session. No matter whether I join a mission, join a Summit game or a Discovery Raid – I never push, I never aggro enemies first, I let the session owner own his session. So that they can open doors, trigger actions or enemies.

Alas a lot of agents do not play that way AND the shepherding system cannot see the difference between "good shepherding" and "bad shepherding". But I guess that is a good reason to have one endorsement come in automatically while the second one has to be granted by the session owner.

• RichardOshea
    167 posts

I tried, again, to help another player just a few days back and it reminded my why I generally don't bother. I basically sat behind them and made sure they were never in any real danger and just took chunks out of the high threats for them so they could be easily managable. Went through the whole mission like that, answering their questions, showing them where the things were etc etc. We get to the final room of Washington Hotel and the second I pop the doors the little so and so kicked me.

I can't say that it inspired me to want to help anyone via that system any time soon.

• N3mB0t

@richardoshea yeah that happens a lot , they suck your help and imediately kick as soon as the points roll in , sad cases , im sitting at rank 18 now and already caught quite a few of those , and also of the ones who have no chat to see me ask for the endorsement and just act like im not even there after i already spent 20 or more minutes with them.

but then i also have the great games with some people who are swift to endorse and even thank you for you help , guess that those are the ones making it worth it , but boy its hard to keep pushing through the bad ones sometimes.

• YodaMan3D
    0 posts

@richardoshea

So you have a bad experience with One Toxic Player. So you hate "US" all. How inspiring?

I am sorry to hear that, but I would suggest you not blame all, for the actions a a few. We aren't suppose to believe all DZ Players are Gankers. Let their actions speak volumes and don't blame them all.

• Sock_Monkey
    447 posts

Speaking of shepherding: it occurred to me that there's only (I think) two exotics I still don't have, and one of them is (of course) Eagle Bearer.

I've done the raid numerous times so it's not exactly like I'd need someone to carry me through, but of course I have only done so on Discovery. Assuming there isn't that much difference, does anyone know of a good group someone could "ride along" with to [hopefully] score an EB?

• Noxious81
    770 posts
    (...) I've done the raid numerous times so it's not exactly like I'd need someone to carry me through, but of course I have only done so on Discovery.
    Assuming there isn't that much difference, does anyone know of a good group someone could "ride along" with to [hopefully] score an EB?

I hate to say that, but that in fact means that you have not yet really played Dark Hours. That's because there are a lot of differences between the discovery raid and the normal raid. And that's not only the adds being much stronger...

BUT you at least know the map layout and some mechanics are pretty much the same – while some are vastly different.

So I guess you still might need to learn the mechanics again so that you are aware of how much more complicated they sometimes can be. But that's not something you couldn't be taught. Especially if you were given a role which does not directly involve handling the rather complex mechanics. If you can bring a good DPS-build with which you feel comfortable, you should be able to find a team that's willing to both explain a bit and let you do some adequate jobs during each encounter.

Just don't promote yourself as an experienced raid player, as soooooome teams might confuse this with having played the raid on normale mode and might skip some important explanations.

• N3mB0t

ok , so i already reached rank 21 , not bad for a week worth of chasing it , but its very sad to realize the chances of getting that second endorsement are around 50% in a best case scenario, if we average out between those from who you get both and the ones that kick you /leave /go afk and net 0 points it averages out roughly at 50% chances.

people trying to help other people shouldnt have to go through this , they should get better rewards and a much more fair and simple /safer way to continuously grow that rank , giving the power to give that second endorsement to the mostly oblivious players was a big mistake , if they dont like our sheperding they already have a tool to express it , the kick button , and ohh boy do they use it , but always in a wrong way , they suck all the help they want from you and then they kick you even before you get the chance to at least get the auto endorse, another great feature.

lots of food for thought now that Massive is trying to find new ways for player progression.

once again:

1 - please make the sheperd rank eternal and infinite , same as our regular rank.
    2 - allow endorsements to be given automaticaly for every X points achieved with the sheep , if the player needs help for 2 hours i should be able to stay and keep improving my rank as i help the player , maybe time is a bad idea for this as people could abuse and just idle to get ranks.

cant count the times i still wanted to keep helping the player and i left because im chasing this stupidily hard to get endorsements , and yes i know that helping is what it should matter , but with this sistem you just want to give up sometimes , let alone do it for nothing, for that i would spend my time still helping people out of the sheperd sistem and at least get also some decent level up for me too.

• N3mB0t

got to level 30 already , had some good times and some really awful , so far nothing new here , i´ll keep on pushing until 99 , i want to get there at least once within my game life time.

couple more sugestions from experience:

3 - stop pulling people out of the game when we matchmake for a call , almost every single time im seconds from finishing something i was doing while waiting for the call i get instantly pulled to the sheep world and all the minutes i spent before doing a convoy or something else goes to waste , not to mention something might just have dropped and you dont have a chance to pick it up , feels like just another slap in the face for the sheperds.

4 - at the same time give us some info on what we are needed for so we can choose gear and if we are going or not, landing near the sheep with the wrong build can be very frustrating for both.

• RichardOshea
    167 posts

@yodaman3d I don't hate you, or that player or the system as an idea. I haven't had a positivie experience when I have used it, because of that, it hasn't encouraged me to be proactive within that system. I like helping people, if that's what you're concerned by. I just don't like wasting my time.

• YodaMan3D
    0 posts

@richardoshea

I know you have been playing TD series for a while. Sorry you had a bad experience, but your experience is pretty valuable and I'm sure others could use your knowledge. I hope you get better experiences.

• N3mB0t

small update , made it to 50 now , and i wanna kill myself already , regardless... im putting the gun down for now and still push to 99.

already helped around 400 agents , hoping to average the same until 99 , guessing it will pan out at around 1k helps , i frigging deserve a medal 😵

• Adrian-11
    862 posts

@n3mb0t

I can imagine how frustrating can be at times...
    I was lucky to have mostly good experiences. But some times, I can't make any sense on what some people do (or not do).
    The most "[censored]?!" for me is when I say "I'm dropping some gear for you" and the agent erratically runs away. By the time I finish sharing, the agent is two blocks away, still running like a chicken without the head. If this was once, okay, but happened several times with different people... so, [censored]?!

Suggested Topics