Best posts made by altenbach
My best guess is that it has to do with incorrect textures and that maybe some of the high resolution textures accidentally made their way into the base game. (For example I noticed that we can now actually clearly read the speedometers when driving. They were blurry before!).
I have 4GB of video ram and that was always sufficient for 1080p,high. Now if I go the the settings, the VRAM requirements vary wildly every time I go to the quality page. The VRAM indicator was never red before the update. Details:
(A) Before the update, the requirements were constant and always slightly below 4GB.
(B) After the last update, the requirements seem to change every time I go there (Again all for 1080p, High).
First it wanted 4.02GB, then 4.57GB, then 5.35GB. How can this change so randomly and vary by gigabytes without any change in quality settings????
Maybe there is a memory leak? Maybe it does not initialize or clean up correctly? Maybe some textures are loaded in duplicate? Maybe some high resolution textures were included by accident?
I sure hope this will be fixed soon.
Once the "VRAM requirements show as 5.+GB for "'1080, high", the only way to bring it below 4GB is going to a ridiculous "'720, low". After doing that, switching back to "1080,high" now wants 4.81GB. Always some new random high number!!! Some math is seriously off!
@altenbach Actually, my quoted "solution" is fake and apparently just a bandaid. Freeing up RAM before starting the game just delays the slowdown. I was able to play for at least 30 minutes at regular speed, but then I jumped off a waterfall and died (I guess the water at the bottom was a bit too shallow ). After I respawned, the game was again down to maybe 5-8fps and unplayable.
Yes, they fixed a few things (e.g. the wildly changing VRAM requirements every time you go to the settings), but the problem is definitely NOT fixed!
In my last session I was able to do the Trejo mission and the new special ops at good frame rate. Then I went to the workbench to look at the new dashboard thingy and everything was again slow as molasses in winter. (4-7fps). There is no specific action that triggers the permanent slowdown. It just happens out of the blue after a random amount of gameplay, requiring a restart.
There has to be an easy fix! No other Ubisoft game has that problem. Somebody messed up! Unplayable!
@ubi-milky OK, so we start again with the victim blaming by sending us to a link with private videos ("Disable Your Background Applications" video is not accessible!) and asking for the same things all over.
Given the long, vague list of reasons tells me that you are still in the dark. There is exactly one core reason and it started with that particular update long ago. Maybe it is time to roll back the code. Some rookie programmer introduced a glaring memory leak and you have not found it after months. Are you really telling me that nobody at Ubisoft can reproduce this in house???
Note: My current video settings are fine in every single other game and are also fine for the first 10-30 minutes of FC6 play. And before the game update long ago, even playing FC6 for hours was great and stable.
Using your fps counter, my game starts out at around 60 and remains there (40-60) for a long time. I can fast travel, call up the map and everything is fine. The last couple of times, the slowdown started when going to the map or menu for the n'th time. Suddenly everything is at 5fps. It goes up a little bit to about 18fps when roaming around again, but is really not playable anymore until a game restart. It never recovers.
I am not sure why you still need videos or screenshots. They are completely boring except for the little integer in the upper left that I can read off and type right here in the post (and did above!).
@mickharnas So basically your roof is leaking and you decided to "fix" it by getting a bigger bucket?
Exactly the same problem here since "it" started a few days ago. Long discussion with support gave "random advice", e.g. "wait 24 hours", which I did, and finally to the conclusion to "contact moderators", but I agree that there is no obvious way to do that or even figure out who these are.
(This was easy in the old forum platform. I was able to send a PM there, but have not heard back).
A few days ago, the link just had a forum title but no content, now even that's gone and it simply says "permission denied".
Come on, Ubisoft!
- FC6 Version 188.8.131.52
- Ryzen1700x, 16GB, Radeon RX570, 4GB (3.78 out of 3.98 used, all drivers fully updated).
- No HD textures (obviously!)
- Time to slowdown is 5 to 15 minutes. Typically enough time to do a checkpoint and base. Special ops seem to slow down halfway through and are nearly impossible to finish at 5fps (doable, but no fun!). Before the update I was able to play for hours without slowdown. Even slow in the menus! Almost impossible to e.g. even mouse to the "quit to desktop" button without overshooting because cursor jumps by inches with pronounced pauses even if mouse is moved smoothly.
- Save files are pointless because once I restart and reload, the good speed is back (40-50fps).
- Resolution is1920x1080, quality=high. Simple! No exceptions. (once the slowdown happens, even lowering quality or resolution does not really help!)
- No video. I have stored benchmarks before (40-50fps, 2591 frames rendered) and after slowdown (5-7fps, 336 frames rendered). Before the update, speed was slightly higher with 2744 frames rendered)
- (For comparison: No slowdown ever in FC5 (63fps) or FC4(93fps) with similar settings)
@ubi-borealis Benchmark before (left) and after (right) slowdown. (No change in settings: 1920x1080, high)
@slimbase The "problem" is that you don't have the graphic quality you deserved based on your hardware.
(... and you don't even have to wait a second for that to show. )
@ubi-keo I just upgraded to 184.108.40.206 and was able to play without experiencing any slowdown. Did all insurgency checkpoints, air-defenses and bases on the map (red). In previous versions it took at least two restarts to get that far! (not done the special ops and final mission, will try tomorrow). Could it be it is solved? Fingers crossed!
Edit: No, the slowdown happened again, but clearly seem to take significantly longer now... (anecdotal evidence)
Latest posts made by altenbach
I always have too many parts even though anything not gold is shredded immediately. Finding the right gold parts to shred takes a bit longer so to drive more and spend less time in the garage, most items are typically full and new parts accumulate in the mailbox.
It now has happened several times that if I go to the mailbox and try to retrieve parts while many cannot be retrieved because the target is full, the program freezes and then crashes hard. So hard that it later fails sending the crash report (I always "retry" several times)! This happens if I click the (non-retrievable) items in the mailbox too fast. (Maybe some queue overflows?) It seems that if I pace myself and take a breath after each click, the problem does not happen. Obviously, there should be some better exception handling so these crashes don't happen.
Windows 10, Ryzen 1700x, 16GB Ram, Radeon RX570 (4GB).
(Currently on a laptop. Will fill in more specs of the above desktop later if needed.)
@altenbach Obviously I don't mean I played it straight for a month. Is anyone having the issue with more than the recommended VRAM?
Yes, plenty of examples here if you read the entire thread.
@thelastelite I doubt you played "continuously" for over a month. What was your longest session?
Obviously, the problem is more complicated because Ubisoft apparently cannot reproduce it. Maybe your system is fine. (Running HD textures if you know that your system is underpowered is not a valid test).
@ubi-thrupney I have uploaded the two requested files to the ticket.
@thelastelite If you have almost sufficient VRAM for HD textures, running without them will most likely take much longer to cause the slowdown. I (and many others!) have the problem without HD textures (4GB card).
@ubi-thrupney I am currently on the laptop, will submit the files later.
- The slowdown can happen at any random time in the game (e.g. during a battle or explosion or just driving around).
- The slowdown happens faster if browser windows are left open when starting the a game. Normal gameplay up to ~30 minutes is possible if I close all browser windows before starting.
- Most often it happens when/after going to then menu or map for the N-th time (N>>1).
- Often, the slowdown is first noticeable when the gold circle (with the star) is spinning in the lower right, i.e. when it is loading something. Saving (pages flipping in the upper right) is fast, then the gold circle starts spinning for a few seconds. Occasionally, that spinning slows to a crawl, fps drop to <<10% of normal (~3-5pfs) and takes much longer. After that, all gameplay is sluggish.
- So what happens during spinning of the gold circle? Loading of new textures? I can imagine contention issues to to priority inversions and unintentional race conditions. Maybe parallel tasks try to unload old textures and load new textures at the same time, stepping on each others toes?
- Since none of this was a problem until the update late last year, can't you do a code compare? Hopefully the code is sufficiently modular to surgically replace a small section. I would be happy to test any such version.
I have (rarely!) seen similar slowdowns in other games, but not during continuous play as in FC6. It can happen if the program is minimized to do some other work, then it is sluggish after restoring it. Not sure if that's the same root cause.
Just FYI, this problem has not been fixed in todays large update (Mar 22, 2022) and is still not even mentioned in the known issues. Sad state of affairs!
Was able to do the primary insurgency and maceo, then airdropped near the final base. When things are loading (gold star spinning in the lower right) it dropped again to ~3-5fps and took forever to load. After finally landing, it went to ~10fps. Not playable. Restart required to continue.
For me there was an AA right next to the valle prehistorico base so I could do it.
Nothing there. I can airdrop right into the valle base without ever having destroyed any AA this week.
- I never do co-op.
- This is PC, not PS5.
- In this particular case I was actually playing when the insurgency started, so that might have something to do with it (I started playing when the previous (already completed!) insurgency had about 5 minutes left). Still, even after restarting the game, nothing else showed up in red.
All I get is Conuco circled in red with only three hostile points ( 1. Isabel steppes checkpoint, 2. valle prehistorico base, 3. roca pequena Sat base). Also completed the excursion mission.
No way to destroy any anti aircraft installation as required, because there aren't any!
Obviously I cannot complete this insurgency. Hmmm....