Welcome to discussion
Best posts made by Shovelator
Good work on collecting the runes guys!
Regarding the Ravensthorpe ones, it looks like the runes are norse version of the shop names. I only tried translating Reda's shop and i think it says "TH U S U D A U G E N" - thousand eyes
Here is a screenshot of the runes that appear on the splash screen (the one that circle around the AC logo)
Haven't really tried translating them, since the runes have multpiple letters asociated and its just guesswork which letters they represent. And another issue, if the words are in old norse, finding their transaltions.
On the right side in red is Younger futhark runic alphabet (copied from wikipedia)
In green are the runes as shown on the splash screen, each word in its own column. Next to them are the letters that the runes represent. However, i just took a screenshot then started rewriting words in clockwise direction, so the first word might not be the correct start of the sentance.
So, just to recap:
- Opening the rune:
- The runes can't be interacted with.
- Hitting them with any kind of weapon doesnt do anything
- Meditating in front doesnt trigger anything
- There is an occasional autosave icon popping up at Ravensthorpe rune (Haven't checked the other runes yet)
- No variation of clothes/tattos in combination with above actions doesnt trigger anything
- Sound effect at East Anglia rune is a bug (confirmed by Ubi?)
- The cave at Wessex rune was possibly not intended to be accessed as it is now (Bug = wrong placement of 3D models?)
- Every rune has a cave behind them (Are they all confirmed?)
- Caves behind the runes look unfinished. In the cave at Suthsexe it is even possible to glitch outside the map.
- Possible hints:
- No NPC gives any hint about them
- The Hermit (After completing related story, he is found at Odin's Rest. Looks like Odin) has nothing more to say
- Loki Rabbit world event leads to a Ring which can be sold. There is also a cave behind the rabit which can be entered only in camera mode.
- Letters of Bran mention Mask of Julianos, an artifact that enables the wearer to enter other worlds (forgot the actual wording) (No further progress has been made on this?)
- Fireflies look like Ilusions in Jotunheim, however not all have been found and those that had been found so far, have no effect.
- There are possibly 9 runes (9 being an important number in Norse mythology)
- There are possbily 6/7 runes (5 for amror set + 1 for weapon (+1 for shield)
- Finding the rune:
- Fitting skill constelations to rune locations doesn't yield any results
- Fitting Eivor's grave markings to runes doesn't yield any results
- They don't seem to follow any ingame rule (The game is littered with ports and water, so there is bound the be a port/water close to the rune)
- No standing stone points towards the rune
- Me and @eL_T_US have a mod that replaces the rune with a red square to help spot the runes
- Darby McDevitt comented (yt/twitter?) on the runes "you have indeed found something"
- Rune stands for Odin's Ilussionary rune (deception and camouflage). Personaly I cant find much about the rune on Google.
- Some runes in game have been translated, with some being just gibberish and others having actual meaning
- A lot of ingame runes have been checked by Dr. Jackson Crawford who helped during the design of the game (Go check his videos on YT, they are pretty cool!)
- Translating runes is hard, as one rune can represent multiple letters and even if you translate it, the word is in old norse
I hope I didn't forget anything or made any false claims
If you see any issues, please let me know.
Shall we start a Discord server to help organize theories?
- Opening the rune:
@hroozenbeek Quite possibly, Maybe he went back for the apple of eden. Whatever it was, I think it will be a part of a future DLC.
Just wanted to point out earlier, that there is no need to try and translate these runes, because they are the same as the ones in real world Hagia Sophia
(Top = hagia sophia, bottom = screenshot from the other thread posted above)
Also, i remember from one of the intervies between dr. Jackson and Darby, where they say that not all runic texts in game are authentic, as sometimes the designers have to work on their own, without a historian translating everything. I think the question was why are there anglo-saxon runes in Valhalla. I can try and find the video again if it is of any help.
It was fun finding something new to chase
Other mysteries had some stories/rewards to them, but I dont remember altars having any story related to them. Therefore offering altars seem to be a good candidate for another mystery...
I think there was some monolgue from Eivor when first discovering an altar/making an offering, but i might be wrong. Have to load an older save and try it out.
Alpha animal: Trophies in longhouse
Cairns: Eivor and Sigurd converstions as children
Lost drengr: Ragnar Lothbrok (confirmed, that there is a missing cutscene)
Standing stones: Brendan
Animus anomalies: Isu version of Ragnarok
Daughter of Lerion: Thor's set + Story of Lerion
Flything: Charisma increase
Fly Argalic: ??? Some trippy visions. Could this be related to Fairy rings? (superstitious belief that rings of mushrooms are portals to other dimensions iirc)
Offering stones: ??? (1+ skill points)
Out of artifacts, only Rigsogur fragments and cursed symbols dont give rewards. Masks, papers and hoards all give customization rewards.
The assassin's berau also has a cool mystery with locating the body of Vitus.
@tchester1980 Yep, thats exactly why the caves bother me.. because like you said, its a waste of resources if you have models that are hidden behind otherwise inacessible terrain. If they wanted to save resources, they just wouldn't make a cave behind the rune. Besides Jotunheim illusions and animus anomalies, I dont remeber the game to ever make new world items "on the go". Usually everything is allready there. But in those two cases the game is able to make new items appear very smooth, without any loading screens. So while the caves look empty and unfinished its possible that they get populated once we find a way to "open" the rune.
Aynways, I will be paying more attention to rocks that look like there could be a cave behind them.
Offtopic: The Ragnar quest is finaly fixed and available
@tchester1980 Yup, can confirm that
Was just creeping around on his twitter searching for some quotes
Was searching for the one where he sais "You have indeed found something" on the rune video. And the one where someone mentiones the floating doors in the sea and confirms that it was a bug.
Edit: The reason i was searching for those quotes, was to confirm that developers knew (through Darby) of the bugged doors and possibly bugged rune at sutsexe.
Latest posts made by Shovelator
Ok, so what does this tell us?
I would think that from developers point of view, the purpose of the suthsexe would be: "Hey people, check this out, there is a rune on the wall and behind it there is a secret cave!"
Which should signal to the player, that everytime you see such a rune, you can expect a cave behind it.
But that's it There are no clues around the cave. The cave is not made to look like it had some treasure inside and it has been emptied.
I havent played since update, but you all know how heavily unfinished this cave was before the update...
I'll be looking around the Suthsexe area a bit... If the purpose of the cave is to show players something, then there has to be some clue around it
Well i took another look at the game files, looking for that pointed stick.
Tried searching for: stick, staff, handle, batton, baton in England game files... no luck
This was the video posted some time ago on this thread:
I used google translate to translate the text:
Pointed baton. Dangerous stick. Sting your enemies until they submit.
Doesn't look like it has any special meaning
Sorry guys, I was a little offline tha past week due to work. I droped by a few days just to check what was going on tho, so im somewhat up to date.
Some user commented the name of the rune file on one of the YT videos about the rune. @eL_T_US and me only changed that file and it affected all found Odin's runes.
There are a lot of problems with digging for files:
- Name of the file is not allways very descriptive, neither is directly taken from what you see in game (for example, Noden's bow is called HunterBowCollector - something like that)
- Filenames can have typos
- Everything takes a while to load and its really clunky to work with
- I haven't found an easy way on how to find the parent object. What I mean by this is that when you search for the rune file, you get the texture file, but you don't find the DecalSettings, which uses the rune textures and its named just a little bit differently. This decal object is the one that applies the rune texture to the rock. So if we could find which rocks use this Decal file, we could directly see how many runes there are. However, this is most likely applied in the game code...
I was kindof expecting that a 7th rune would be found by now, by someone, somewhere
Might be nothing, but i tried translating Odin's runes using the same template i used before. Left side I have the entire younger futhark copied from wikipedia in order. On right side I copied only those runes that appear on Odin's cloak. Looks like the runes on Odin's cloak are in "alphabetical"-futharkbethical? order...
Only exception being the "h" and that "R" rune (which I don'r know how it sounds phoneticaly).